• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starbucks vs Dunkin Donuts

stephenc

Ahhhh, I remember when Dunkin was THE place to go for good coffee. There were two choices for even half way decent coffee outside of NYC and a few other places. Cafe Bustelo in cans and DD. I wax nostalgic. Even now I can't resist and stop in once in a while. Oh, and those chocolate glazed donuts. Now, I a PEET's fan hands down, but driving down the highway and seeing a Starbuks and DD side by side, I'm going with my first love....

For my tastes.... Starbuck brews their coffee too strong and DD brews theirs too weak. There's also a subtl eundertone to the flavor of DD coffee that many people love and I don't care for. Sources have told me that they mix a small percentage (10% or less) of hazelnut flavored beans in with the regular beans to achieve this. DD does deserve some kudos for committing to the use of Fair Trade coffee for their new espresso/cappuccino/latte products but all things considered.... I still think Starbucks has the edge in quality.