• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Okay, what's the DUMBEST cookbook you've owned?

laurenmilan

srhcb...

That link is to another Vincent Price Cookbook, not the famous "Treasury" which is usually around $100 used. I had both books and the one available here is rather mediocre.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

The first cookbook i ever bought is called

"Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

It's aimed at clueless bachelors like I was at the time, and it's actually quite good. It's still the cookbook I've tried the most recipes from, and most of them were keepers.

-paul

srhcb...

That link is to another Vincent Price Cookbook, not the famous "Treasury" which is usually around $100 used.  I had both books and the one available here is rather mediocre.

You're right. Vincent and Mary Price appear to have had at least four food books, (with confusingly similar titles I might ad). This is the one I wished to refer to:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=books

SB

The Babe cookbook. Yes, from the movie, except that it's written by a guy who had absolutely nothing to do with the movie. And it's written in the voice of Esme Hoggett, the farmer's wife. Here's an example:

"Indeed! Oh my!" Mrs. H. said, proudly displaying her riot of leafing basil plants. "'Sweet Dani.' Pretty as anything in my flower garden! Strong, lemony...beguiling! That's the very word, isn't it? Hmm. High in essential oils, I'd say, and hmm, yes, citral content. Beguiling, wouldn't you agree?"

And on like this.

I got this book on sale at Borders, and it's worth the 3 bucks I paid for it. The recipes are actually pretty good. But the inane babble which prefaces every single recipe in the book definitely qualifies it for the stupidest one in my collection.