• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Word on The Wolseley

My read, after a few lunches and dinners (and the odd breakfast and afternoon tea/coffee) at the Wolseley, is that it's a missed opportunity. The concept is a good one -- a bistro/cafe, open from breakfast to dinner, with a wide-ranging menu and a flexible style. The execution, especially in the kitchen but also front of house, doesn't quite match up. Some dishes have been very good -- I have enjoyed the tartare more than once. Grouse couldn't hold a candle to St John's. Afternoon coffee and tea service has been pleasant and generous. This place could be outstanding, but it isn't.

I hope The Wolseley will keep trying, because it's a real plus to have a place like this in central London.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

It's true. I was in there last week for an early dinner (7 ish) and quite a few people came in, ordered drinks only, and were told they couldn't drink without ordering a substantial meal.

They all left.