• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations in K & C?

Hello E-gulleters...

Ok, I've got a real challenge for you....myself and the BF live in beautiful (hah!) Earl's Court and the BF's lovely mum will be moving in to a new place off of High Street Kensington soon. What we're looking for is a good local restaurant where we can all go and grab a bite together when we're feeling like a treat. I'm looking for someplace relatively quiet and relaxed, and not too pricey...anywhere in W8, SW7, SW5, or SW3 would be fine.

Now here's the challenge part... I eat fish but not meat, the BF is a complete vegetarian, and the BF's mum has a medical condition which prevents her from eating spicey food... which means that I'm looking for someplace with a quite 'conservative' yet veggie-friendly menu. I know...it's a tall order :shock:

We've tried lots of places in the area but found, for the most part, our neighbourhood somewhat lacking in restaurant choices, aside from the nice-but-overpriced or identikit Italian tourist traps. :hmmm:

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance,

Elizabeth

aka Izabel_blue

Elizabeth, AKA Izabel_blue

I live around the corner - w14.

I hear the Atlas is good, but the menu changes regularly, so you'd have to call. The Havelock Arms usually has a good spread of dishes - had a lovely dinner there last night, including a veggie tortelloni.

Damn damn damn - there's a great spot for pastries and lunches (plenty of vegetarian dishes) up by North End road and Fulham road - but I can't remember what it's called. I'll think harder.

For slightly fancy, you're not that far from Racine.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

There's plenty of good gastro pubs in the area, Atlas as mentioned before.

The Scarsdale is nice http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/show.shtml/172/

as is the Abingdon

http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaurants/lo...p?Rest_ID=80090

which is more of a restaurant than a boozer

I had a nice meal at kensington Place just before Christmas which is quite loud inside but good food

http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaurants/lo...p?Rest_ID=80780

Always difficult to know what someone means when they say "not too pricey" but how about Timo. It is on Ken High St (but about 10 mins walk from either High St Ken or Earls Court tubes). Was there the other night. Being Italian you wouldn't have to worry about the spiciness. It certainly does fish and whilst I wasn't looking for vegetarian, they have a range of pastas and risotto which I'm sure would include veggie options. Desserts are very good too.

Del' Aziz was the one I was looking for - behind Fulham Road and North End. A mixture of French patisserie, and middle-Eastern style meze's.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

btw, just noticed your comment about tourist trap Italians - Timo is not in this category. The chef is ex-Zafferano and it is situated in a bit of a dead area for tourists so the fact that it was full on a Tuesday evening in January is testament to the cooking not the tourists :smile:

I would strongly recommend Wodka--nice intimate interesting Polish restaurant on 12 St Albans Grove...lots of fish, not spicy...pub Builders Arms right across street...

some ratings: http://www.london-eating.co.uk/1864.htm

http://www.wodka.co.uk/

MENU:

APPS

Barszcz with Pasztecik 3.90

Pierogi filled with Cheese, Potato and Spring Onion 5.90

Herring Fillet with Apple, Dill Cucumber and sour cream 5.90

Grilled Goats Cheese with Spiced Sausage, Braised Peppers, Paprika & Olives 5.90

Marinated Smoked Duck with Pickled Pumpkin 6.50

Risotto of Kasza with Leeks and Wild Mushrooms 5.90

Steak Tartar with Toast and Salad 6.90

Kaszanka - Grilled Black Sausage with Pickled red Cabbage and Pear Puree 5.90

Warm Smoked Eel with Potato cake and Honey Spring Onion dressing 6.90

Leniwe - Cheese and Herb Dumplings with Sundried Tomatoes and Olives 5.75

Hot Smoked Salmon with Beetroot, garlic Puree and Horseradish 6.90

Blinis - Herring 5.90 7.90

Smoked Salmon 6.90 8.90

Aubergine mousse 5.50 6.90

Foie Gras 8.90 11.50

Osietra Caviar 8.90 11.90

Keta Caviar 8.90 11.90

Selection 6.90

---------------

MAINS

Kulebiak - Salmon in Pastry with Mushrooms, Kasza and Spinach 11.50

Golonka - Honey Roasted Pork Shank with Sauerkraut and New potatoes 11.90

Kaczka - Roast Duck with Red Cabbage and Apple 13.50

Spiced meatballs with Plum Sauce and Spring Onion Mashed Potatoes 10.90

Marinated Coquelet with Aubergine Borani and Yogurt 11.90

Golabki - Cabbage Leaves with Pork, Wild Rice & Cranberry Sauce 10.50

Medallions of Venison with Sour Cherries and Roast Pears 13.50

Roast Confit of Rabbit with Beans, Spiced Sausage and Chilli 11.90

Fishcakes with Leeks and Dill Sauce 10.50

Boiled Salt Beef with Dumplings, Horseradish and Parsley Broth 11.90

-----------

Desserts

Nalesniki - Crepes filled with Sweet cheese, Nuts and raisins 4.50

White Chocolate and Poppyseed Cheesecake 4.50

Selection of Home-made Sorbets 3.90

Chocolate Truffle Cake 4.90

Rhubarb and Sweet Cheese Tart 4.50

Racuchy - Baked Apple Pancakes 4.50

Few years ago I've had a superb meal in the place called "The Room" - easy to understand where the name comes from, as the place looks like someone has converted their front room to a restaurant! Excellent, French influenced cuisine, unobtrusive staff and reasonable bill (wine is bit steep though). Can't exactly remember where exactly was it, Milner or Cadogan St I think. Try it (if it's still there).