• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pen is mighter than the sword

ace

critics could make or break a restaurant.when someone invests a ton of money to open a business and try and make an honest living for owners ,cooks ,dishwashers ,waiters and busboys a critic walks in .i have done ten openings all over the world,everything looks good on paper but it takes time to iron out the kinks ,it could take a year or more torealy be on the ball.very hard to find deticated staff to work the proper way.i think food critics should take the job of city inspectors and write up most of the restaurants in montreal for unsanitary conditions in kitchens.i have seen expensive restaurants in montreal full of rats all over the place . all chefs deserve a fair break,all the stress ,long hours,incompetent staff.i guess reviews could also be bought .

Bought? That is complete bullshit!

And critics can't make or break a restaurant. But a good or lousy chef certainly can.

Why don't you introduce yourself if you're going to fling out accusations like that?

If you have an ax to grind, at least give some solid examples.

I, for one, have had it with nasty anonymous posters. :angry:

true a good or bad chef can make or break restaurant.just like a good and bad critic.i am not implying you are a bad critic.its your job and you try to do it as good as possible just like the chef.you never had the pleasure of tasting my food .

because i am more of a restaurant consultant.my family has owned many money making restaurants all were sold at big profit.my father stuck to solid good tasting food for families to enjoy not anorexic models and coke heads.dont see to many reviews on family style restaurants.i guess it dont pay well. by the way a romantic restaurant dont have to be expensive,we all dont make the big $$$$ you do.

true a good or bad chef can make or break restaurant.just like a good and bad critic.i am not implying you are a bad critic.its your job and you try to do it as good as possible just like the chef.you never had the pleasure of tasting my food .

because  i am more of a restaurant consultant.my family has owned many money making restaurants all were sold at big profit.my father stuck to solid good tasting food for families to enjoy not anorexic models and coke heads.dont see to many reviews on family style restaurants.i guess it dont pay well. by the way a romantic restaurant dont have to be expensive,we all dont make the big $$$$ you do.

Are you personally acquainted with Lesley C? If not, your reply is vitriolic and completely unfounded.

Please take your trolling and flamebait to another message board.

NOTE: I'm not an admin or anything, just a user...

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

No, I don't know ace. And I don't take anonymous posts all that seriously anymore. :hmmm: Waste of time.

And let me put it this way, Montreal restaurant critics make less money than your average dishwasher. I'm not kidding. So there's another stupid stupid comment flung our way by this so-called restaurant consultant. :hmmm:

While I am not neither an anorexic supermodel or a cokehead, I do enjoy good food. My kids aged 9 and 11 also have a sense of what is good and what is not. While I am sure that restaurants like Baton Rouge, Guido & Angelina's, etc. are profitable concerns, even my kids refuse to eat that crap.

I don't know who you are or what brand of pickle is wedged up your backside but relax and take a deep breath. Perhaps you have something to add but might I suggest a reasoned argument rather than a stream of consciousness type rant.

not .i think i have the right to express my opinion.i have been in the business hands on, seen alot ,i hired a chef once from these so called restaurants where everyone is too drunk to taste anything ,he lasted all but one week .cry babies .

we used to make our own soap years ago .those are the days where chefs were masters and could work. now you need a hundred people in the kitchen to serve a handfull of people.

QUOTE we used to make our own soap years ago .those are the days where chefs were masters and could work. now you need a hundred people in the kitchen to serve a handfull of people. QUOTE

What did you serve with the soap? :wacko::laugh::laugh:

Edited by jersey13 (log)

Why would someone make thier own soap?

Especially in the restaurant business... :raz::huh: Perhaps as a cheap substitute for parmesan.

There is a little store in Sonoma that sells specialty soaps (grapefruit bergamot comes to mind) and olive oil...

Re-reading the original comment I'm sure ace meant to say SOUP, soap makes no sense. Aside from the fact that there isn't a health inspector that wouldn't go crazy if he saw chemicals being blended in a restaurant kitchen, commercials establishments use detergent, not soap for most tasks.

Re-reading the original comment I'm sure ace meant to say SOUP, soap makes no sense. Aside from the fact that there isn't a health inspector that wouldn't go crazy if he saw chemicals being blended in a restaurant kitchen, commercials establishments use detergent, not soap for most tasks.

My ex mother-in-law made soup that tasted like soap - maybe that's it

quite a thread! :shock:

ace - I'm having a little difficulty understanding the point(s) you're trying to make. The title appears to allude to the power of a critic. Your comments though, seem mostly to discuss the difficulties and stress involved in being a chef - particularly problems with finding competent staff. As the originator of the thread, it's your job to frame the discussion.

all chefs deserve a fair break,all the stress ,long hours,incompetent staff

I'm sorry, but as a customer, I really don't care about any of those things. What's important to me is the experience I have in the restaurant - the quality of the food, the service, the atmosphere. Are you suggesting that critics should cut you a break because you have difficulty with attracting and keeping good staff?

I'm sure you know the restaurant business is hyper-competitive. Those that deserve and get good reviews, and will attract repeat customers, are those able to overcome whatever obstacles they have and deliver a quality experience.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson