• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What we had to drink with what (USA/Can.)

Craig Camp

Last night with grilled rib-eye steaks, baked potato, haricots verts, and a bitter greens salad:

1989 Ch. Grand Puy Lacoste

I though that this was going to be a disappointment when I opened and decanted. It was closed and had that vegetal taste that Bordeaux sometimes exhibit. After 1 hour it had opened up and there was lovely cassis and leather and tobacco on the nose and fantistic fruit with soft tannins that gave great structure. This only got better as it sat in the decanter. After 4 hours in the decanter the last few swallows were what all Bordeaux strive to be. This was a suprise to me. I bought this on release and have kept cellared since.

Last night,

Domaine Calot Cuvee Jeanne Morgon cru Beaujolais 2000

Baron de Ona Res Rioja 1997

Contado Aglianico Di Majo Norante 2001

Bowmore 12

Aberlour Abunadh

Woodford Reserve

Macallen 12

Tonight, 1 beer. Hoegaarden

slowfood/slowwine

Inama Soave Classico Superiore 2001 paired with a roasted chicken rissoto with green beans.

Love this Soave but then again it's the only one I ever buy. If anyone else has recommendations on Soaves it would be much appreciated.

I'm also a big fan of Inama Soave, and just learned that the local distributor will no longer be carrying it. I'm cleaning out the retailer shelves.

Pieropan is okay, but I'll likely be looking to Gini, Pra, and Tamellini for my Soave jones.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

This is a repost. I erroneously posted it on the UK Pinned thread...

There's a group of 20 or so of us who get together annually in Toledo (of all places) to pull corks every February (of all times of the year). Here were some of the standouts for me...

1992 Ridge Zinfandel, Lytton Estate ATP

1997 C. Joguet Chinon

1996 J.M. Brocard Chablis Fourchaume

1996 J.L. Chave Hermitage Blanc

1996 J.L. Chave Hermitage Rouge

1986 J.L. Chave Hermitage Rouge

1989 Pesquera Tinto Ribera del Duero

2000 N. Verset Cornas

2001 T. Allemand Cornas

1993 Bastide Blanche Bandol, Cuvee Fontanieu

1995 N. Joly Savennieres Coulee de Serrant Moelleux

1990 d'Yquem

1998 Dorigo Picolit

A word on that last one. It rivals Avignonesi's Vin Santo or maculan's Torcolato for best sticky in all of Italy.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero