• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moto Restaurant - Chicago

inventolux

Can anyone say what they think Moto ranks up with other restaurants such as Alinea, Trotter's, Tru, Avenues, etc etc. ?

Of course Moto is one of Chicago's finest, innovative chefs. If you haven't figured this out, you are not tasting nor noticing. Homaro is a unique talent that has comparisons with the best talents in Spain today. We are both enduring supporters. Moto excites the palate and offers an unusual dining experience. Judith Gebhart

i second judith's opinion.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

he asks, how might one dress for a dinner at Moto?  would "smart casual" be appropriate?

"smart casual" is definitely an appropriate description/recommendation. i even saw some trendy (hipster) jeans-wearers...

i suppose the recommended approach includes wine pairings?

sorry, don't drink :shock: Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Of course Moto is one of Chicago's finest, innovative chefs. If you haven't figured this out, you are not tasting nor noticing. . .

Or maybe you just have a difference of opinion about the matter.

Speaking as host of this forum I'm requesting that we not present our opinions as facts or imply that those who don't agree with us are somehow wrong.

Thank you and carry on :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

trendy (hipster) jeans-wearers...   

thanks! that'd be me. i'm just "jersey-hip" though.

not so hip now that i think about it. not so much at all really. :sad:

edit:

looking at UE's below post i'm compelled to clarify that i was thinking "hipster" as in this hipster, rather than this hipster. :unsure:

Edited by tommy (log)

tommy!

was that you at moto? :raz: (i don't even know who you are! :laugh: ) well, i'm sure you looked stunning strutting around in those hipsters! while you fashion-forward diners keep restaurants looking as cutting-edge as the food they serve, i, unfortunately, will have to take a backseat and enjoy the ride!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Hello all, I will have the pleasure of dining at Moto on Wednesday night, and just wanted to see if i could get any advice for what to expect, or is it better not to expect anything? Is there anything I should know before I eat there? I have read this post from eginning to end, so I think I have a prety good idea of whats coming, but I just wanted to check. Just to make you all jealous, I will be eating at TRU tomorrow night, but thats more straight forward. Thanks in advace for any help. Cheers

• 1 month later...
We will not offer a wine list per say, just wine progressions. Every tasting menu will have a new world and old world pairing offered with it. We feel the best way (and the only way) to experience moto is to allow us to set the parameters for wine and food pairing. A wine list would be futile when exploring this type of gastronomy, so we have decided to minimalize it altogether. It just makes sense from a financial and creative standpoint.

As far as the future of moto..................

as long as every new team member is totally commited to forgetting their past experiences and retaining only a high level of attention to detail, moto will carry forth in an acceptable fashion. Idiscourage all of the cooks from reading cook books and only focusing on knowledge of ingredients. Techniques are things we can invent and reinvent.

Thank you for your kind words, it means a lot.

"Omar"

You can order cocktails with tasting menus at Moto, right?

I may be alone in this, but I would love to see a mixed drink/cocktail tasting as an option at a place like Moto. Not everyone is into wine, I'll drink Riesling but I don't really enjoy it like I enjoy a good Mojito. If I could taste several cocktails without getting sloppy drunk, I'll be more inclined to come back to the lounge when I just want a couple drinks, and I'll be more inclined to do a tasting menu again.

We will not offer a wine list per say, just wine progressions. Every tasting menu will have a new world and old world pairing offered with it. We feel the best way (and the only way) to experience moto is to allow us to set the parameters for wine and food pairing. A wine list would be futile when exploring this type of gastronomy, so we have decided to minimalize it altogether. It just makes sense from a financial and creative standpoint.

as long as every new team member is totally commited to forgetting their past experiences and retaining only a high level of attention to detail, moto will carry forth in an acceptable fashion. Idiscourage all of the cooks from reading cook books and only focusing on knowledge of ingredients. Techniques are things we can invent and reinvent.

"Omar"

I may be alone in this, but I would love to see a mixed drink/cocktail tasting as an option at a place like Moto. Not everyone is into wine, I'll drink Riesling but I don't really enjoy it like I enjoy a good Mojito. If I could taste several cocktails without getting sloppy drunk, I'll be more inclined to come back to the lounge when I just want a couple drinks, and I'll be more inclined to do a tasting menu again.

We have created some very different "mixed drinks" that we can pair with foodstuffs. Are they cocktails...perhaps to some extent. However they are far from the norm. The wine progression list is also being expanded with 2 new categories. "Synthetic Pairings" or "reformulated vintages" and "Laserization Creations". The whole wine/synthetic/laserization/mixed drink option I feel is still the best way to experience Moto, so we are beginning to apply ourselves to the category in the same way we approach the food. Matt Gundlach and I believe that a glass of wine or a "mixed drink" should not be limited to the historical standards of the experience. So you are not alone in your quest for a nice mixed beverage experience. There is no reson that we cant customize something that can be intellectually stimulating as well as something that goes against the grain. This option will definitely evolve in the coming weeks. Just as it has evolved since the last post above.

HC

Edited by inventolux (log)

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

"Omar"

We have created some very different "mixed drinks" that we can pair with foodstuffs. Are they cocktails...perhaps to some extent. However they are far from the norm. The wine progression list is also being expanded with 2 new categories. "Synthetic Pairings" or "reformulated vintages" and "Laserization Creations". The whole wine/synthetic/laserization/mixed drink option I feel is still the best way to experience Moto, so we are beginning to apply ourselves to the category in the same way we approach the food. Matt Gundlach and I believe that a glass of wine or a "mixed drink" should not be limited to the historical standards of the experience. So you are not alone in your quest for a nice mixed beverage experience. There is no reson that we cant customize something that can be intellectually stimulating as well as something that goes against the grain. This option will definitely evolve in the coming weeks. Just as it has evolved since the last post above.

HC

Thanks for the reply to my question! You seem very open to blending unconventional and conventional things to make the dining experience enjoyable for all tastes. A

big reason why I changed my mind about where to go as I just made a reservation for Moto in June. I think I'm going to enjoy it and better yet want to come back frequently, and I think my dad will enjoy it as well. I like what you've done with the lounge-sometimes I might just want drinks and dessert, sometimes the five course menu, sometimes the longer ones for a special occasion, like the dinner I'm treating my dad to. You definitely present more options than other places of your caliber, imho. As I stated in another thread, I look at pics of your food and think "That really looks good!"

Is it possible to have a New York Yankees logo imprinted on one of your edible menus? I'll contact the restaurant as the date gets closer, I'm just curious if that's something you would do.

Edited by Elrushbo (log)

Thanks for the reply to my question! You seem very open to trying unconventional and conventional thinks to make the dining experience enjoyable for all tastes. A

big reason why I just made a reservation for Moto in June.

congrats! can't wait to hear your report!

As I stated in another thread, I look at pics of your food and think "That really looks good!"

and so it is!

enjoy!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Thanks for the reply to my question! You seem very open to trying unconventional and conventional thinks to make the dining experience enjoyable for all tastes. A

big reason why I just made a reservation for Moto in June.

congrats! can't wait to hear your report!

As I stated in another thread, I look at pics of your food and think "That really looks good!"

and so it is!

enjoy!

u.e.

Will do...hopefully I can get a few nice pics, maybe one of the laser?

I like it. I would have liked more food pictures, however.

If you click on the either three of the "five course" "ten course" or "GTM" buttons under the cuisine heading over and over again, it rotates the pictures. Impressive photography, btw.

And noambenami, speaking as a user, I had no problem navigating the site and I found it pretty much representitive of what I exerienced at Moto. Almost futuristic in presentation. Then again, I am no expert. I don't think many people who go to restaurant websites are though.

I noticed that about clicking on the buttons. There are also four short tv clips on the site, I enjoyed them all. I'm wondering if we might be able to see highlights on the site of Chef Cantu on Iron Chef America once it airs.

"Omar"

HC

Thanks for the reply to my question! You seem very open to blending unconventional and conventional things to make the dining experience enjoyable for all tastes. A

big reason why I changed my mind about where to go as I just made a reservation for Moto in June. I think I'm going to enjoy it and better yet want to come back frequently, and I think my dad will enjoy it as well. I like what you've done with the lounge-sometimes I might just want drinks and dessert, sometimes the five course menu, sometimes the longer ones for a special occasion, like the dinner I'm treating my dad to. You definitely present more options than other places of your caliber, imho. As I stated in another thread, I look at pics of your food and think "That really looks good!"

Is it possible to have a New York Yankees logo imprinted on one of your edible menus? I'll contact the restaurant as the date gets closer, I'm just curious if that's something you would do.

Its possible to print anything. The only issue with the NYY (they are my favorite team of all time) is copyright infringement. All of the images I use I generate myself with photo shop or by hand to avoid this. Is this for your dad?

www.motorestaurant.com

"Omar"

HC

Its possible to print anything. The only issue with the NYY (they are my favorite team of all time) is copyright infringement. All of the images I use I generate myself with photo shop or by hand to avoid this. Is this for your dad?

Yeah, it's for him...we'd eat it on the spot, no evidence! But I understand if you can't do it... would you be willing to do a picture and a birthday greeting? I'd pay extra for it, you'd certainly get my repeat business(which from what I'm hearing about Moto you'll get anyway). He grew up in NY, so I was raised on the Yankees, with the great teams in the late 70's, the looooong 15 year absence, to the great team the last ten years. We see them play the Tigers in Detroit every year, and this year I just thought it would be perfect to take him to Wrigley for his birthday, since neither of us have ever been there, and they happen to be hosting the Tigers. And of course, I want to take him to the best dinner he's ever had in his life.

Edited by Elrushbo (log)

"Omar"

HC

Yeah, it's for him...we'd eat it on the spot, no evidence! But I understand if you can't do it... would you be willing to do a picture and a birthday greeting? I'd pay extra for it, you'd certainly get my repeat business(which from what I'm hearing about Moto you'll get anyway). He grew up in NY, so I was raised on the Yankees, with the great teams in the late 70's, the looooong 15 year absence, to the great team the last ten years. We see them play the Tigers in Detroit every year, and this year I just thought it would be perfect to take him to Wrigley for his birthday, since neither of us have ever been there, and they happen to be hosting the Tigers. And of course, I want to take him to the best dinner he's ever had in his life.

We dont charge extra for that stuff, its part of the package. Any player in particular that he likes? Perhaps an old baseball card?

www.motorestaurant.com

"Omar"

HC

We dont charge extra for that stuff, its part of the package. Any player in particular that he likes? Perhaps an old baseball card?

A Reggie Jackson pic would be awesome! Should I email it to the restaurant as the day draws closer? I very much appreciate this, it will make for a special day!

• 2 weeks later...

A question for Inventolux...can you tell us when the menus on the Moto website will be updated? Or maybe could you post them here occasionally if it wouldn't be too much trouble? I'm curious as to how often you change your menus.

• 3 weeks later...

I am finding myself in Chicago next week (not for the kitchen and bath trade show unfortunately) having to deal with the effects of every single hotel worth a salt being sold out. My one beacon of hope if the fact I was able to secure a 8pm table at Moto for Thursday. Totally looking forward to that.

I have been watching this thread for a while and my mouth has been watering. I will be sure to report back after the dinner with my findings.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

• 2 weeks later...

ok, I just got back from moto, and to sum it up, amazing. I am way to full and have consumed too much wine to do his food and the experience we had justice at this time, but I will post a full report tomorow along with pictures of him and his new fancy laser as well.

really and stunning meal.

jpd

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Recent article in today's NYT, Two Parts Vodka, a Twist of Science (by Peter Meehan).

One chef who has gotten in on the act is Homaru Cantu at Moto in Chicago.

Mr. Cantu uses a grade-school science trick — baking soda plus acid equals fizz — for his Fizzing & Foaming Hurricane and a very not-grade-school trick involving a Class 4 laser, typically used for military experiments and eye surgery, according to Mr. Cantu, and a vanilla bean to "caramelaserize" a wineglass — that is, to coat it with the flavor of vanilla — before filling it with red wine and pairing the altered wine with a beef course on his restaurant's tasting menu.

..."caramelaserize"...

:laugh: Perhaps you should apply for a trade or a service mark.

Ever since Moto opened up the front cafe/bar area, they have been serving some amazing cocktails, which gets updated regularly. The earlier concoctions were very tasty, using the finest simple and traditional ingredients, and presented in a martini glass. Now they are pushing their philosophy from the kitchen to beverages made at the front-of-house and allowing diners to have them as starters (you can also just have cocktails and stay in the front). A few of the cooking implements and serviceware have made it to the bar area, where the drinks are prepared table (bar) side. A few items are really great and some others require, an acquired taste - Mustard Martini (part of martini made four ways). This direction follows the aesthetic of Moto and I admire chef pushing the boundaries.