• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My secret ingredient for low-carb cooking...

ronnie_suburban

Jamaica flowers and chia seeds or the basil seeds ..no difference taste or texture wise ..they both make you feel full especially with a meal!

and best of all

this is a very vibrant colored/flavored drink ..... from what I gather both the flowers and the seeds have tons of good health juju....(even if you only half believe the internet) ..it makes me feel good just drinking it that is for sure!

forget adding cream that was disgusting ...I like it with out any sweetener ..that just seems to distract from the flavor ..my husband put honey in his and says that makes it better ...

drinking it makes me feel good and I think 10 oz cup is about 2 net carbs (I just found conflicting info everywhere so I am guessing..I compared the tea to Celestial Seasonings it has the same flowers in it and the seeds are almost nulled out by the fiber)

this is such a nice drink hope you try it ..

gallery_51681_4569_8954.jpg

drinking it made me want to go for a walk :wink:

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

As I was picking out some shirataki noodles at the Korean market today I noticed a similar looking item next to them that was called "Sea Tangle- kelp noodles". The caloric and carb counts were as super low as the shirataki. They apparently are crunchy and do not require cooking. I googled and found info but was wondering if any of you have tried them and if so in what applications and with what success. Thank you.

the other day, I found a new type of "chip". These are called "Soy Crisps" by a company called Eatsmart all natural snacks, a division I guess of Snyders of Hanover. For 20 chips, they are 6 grams of carbs, after you subtract the fiber, which is 5 grams. They also have 8 grams of protein. They are flavored, the ones I got were Parmesan Garlic and Olive oil. They are pretty tasty, when you need a crunchy salty snack.

• 7 months later...

So, the doctor didn't come back with good news so here I am looking for suggestions on readily available food types as well as specific recipe books that have good stuff to cook. I got some ideas that I could work with from this thread so far but some stuff is so esoteric that my eyes started glazing over. I'm looking for meals I can make for me and my family.

TIA,

Bob

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band