• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My secret ingredient for low-carb cooking...

ronnie_suburban

Update:

The Radishes came out _very_ well. I am definately going to make radish home fries again. I just cooked until soft in some bacon drippings with a bit of onion and garlic, and wow, they have the perfect texture and flavor. It might just be me, but I think these are better than potato home fries.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

i've been low carbing for a couple of months now, i eat mostly fresh meats, large salads and/or sauteed fresh vegetables - love both cauliflower and daikon sauteed.

i made some "latkes" and omelettes with spaghetti squash. i'd love to bake a cheesecake, but hate the taste of both splenda and the sugar free syrups.

got to try carbonara or alfredo with spaghetti squash, any carb friendly recipes for the sauces?

i've been low carbing for a couple of months now, i eat mostly fresh meats, large salads and/or sauteed fresh vegetables - love both cauliflower and daikon sauteed.

i made some "latkes" and omelettes with spaghetti squash. i'd love to bake a cheesecake, but hate the taste of both splenda and the sugar free syrups.

got to try carbonara or alfredo with spaghetti squash, any carb friendly recipes for the sauces?

Which SF syrups have you tried? The Atkins brand is pretty foul, and I have yet to be impressed by anything from Walden farms (nothing with no calories per serving tends to taste that good...). I have only heard rave reviews of the DaVinci brand though. Unfortunately they are kind of expensive, and not carried in many stores.... eventually I will order some online though.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

• 3 months later...
For lasagna, why not thinly sliced (lengthwise) roasted eggplant slices instead of noodles?

Also if you slice a courgette/zucinni through a mandolin slicer, then blanch them... works lovely as a pasta.... Use them raw in lasagna...

I've done lasagna with eggplant as the 'noodles' and it does work quite well, sort of an Italian take on Moussaka.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

nori for snacking/garnishing (and the line of uncoated deep fried thai seaweed)

shirataki noodles & konnyaku

what do you guys use for breading/batter?

sigh chicken skin is never the same when not coated in sinful tasty carbs

.jedi pocky.

yum...

nori for snacking/garnishing (and the line of uncoated deep fried thai seaweed)

shirataki noodles & konnyaku

what do you guys use for breading/batter?

sigh chicken skin is never the same when not coated in sinful tasty carbs

for breading you can use grated parmesan cheese, almond meal or even coconut ..

coconut prawns or chicken can be really good with a LC hot and sour dipping sauce

toss the prawns or chicken in a mixture of lime juice and egg white then roll in spiced up coconut grated fine or coconut flour if you can find it reasonably then dry well on a rack and either deep fry or bake in the oven

with the parm same thing but leave out the lime

I dont like the almond meal coating but my friend adores it and mixes it half and half with parm ....same as above to get it to stick

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I just hit our local Mercado and picked up the best looking most perfect jicama have seen in ages!!! must be in season now if you like them keep your eyes open ...smooth and perfectly crunchy juicy and sweet!!!

I also bought Jamaica flower to make a nice juice and for vit C

some chia seeds to put in the juice ....banana leaves to wrap the goat I am going to cook tomorrow in

and giant chicarrones for my husband ..and I mean GIANT!!!

lots of cheese

...tomorrow I am making goat in coconut milk with chiles for dinner I just wrap in tin packages of the banana leaves and slow cook in the oven in a Dutch oven

that will be good with a jicama salad dressed with lime and chile

very low carb! (NO TORTILLAS!!!) that is hard for me I love them with this dish!

Piglet 

I just hit our local Mercado and picked up the best looking most perfect jicama have seen in ages!!! must be in season now if you like them keep your eyes open ...smooth and perfectly crunchy juicy and sweet!!!

I also bought Jamaica flower to make a nice juice and for vit C

some chia seeds to put in the juice ....banana leaves to wrap the goat I am going to cook tomorrow in

and giant chicarrones for my husband ..and I mean GIANT!!! 

lots of cheese

...tomorrow I am making goat in coconut milk with chiles for dinner I just wrap in tin packages of the banana leaves and slow cook in the oven in a Dutch oven

that will be good with a jicama salad dressed with lime and chile

very low carb! (NO TORTILLAS!!!) that is hard for me I love them with this dish!

Sounds great... what time is dinner?? :wink:

I have too many secret ingredients for low carb cooking

(I have been back and forth and back ..and now forth so I have to go back again with my weight)

I used one jicama this morning to make home fries

if you have never done it ...try it!!!!

dice them up with lots of onions salt and pepper (I add red chile)

fry in oil or whatever fat you want ..until golden and crispy

Piglet 

I have too many secret ingredients for low carb cooking

(I have been back and forth and back ..and now forth so I have to go back again  with my weight)

I used one jicama this morning to make home fries

if you have never done it ...try it!!!!

dice them up with lots of onions salt and pepper (I add red chile)

fry in oil or whatever fat you want ..until golden and crispy

what does the final result taste like? Is it more like potato taste? They are a little higher in carbs too, if I remember correctly versus cauliflower right? I may have to try this this weekend.

I really do not care for cauliflower to be honest ..so I am not a good judge ..but I love jicama they have more flavor than a potato kind of sweet if you get a good one ..they do not get soft but are tender when you fry them ..I have made fries out of them and they were limp but good ..you can not mash them that is for sure but they are good in salads or roasted as well as pan frying ..and I have put them in soups ..but they stay crisp tender not soft like a potato

carb wise they are VERY low they are on the Atkins induction list ..I dont know the exact count I am sorry but you could find out easily I am sure

here is a pic of the home fries ..just do not say a thing about my uneven dice I was really tired and am not a fan of AM cooking at all :raz:gallery_51681_4569_44843.jpg

they do brown up more than shown but I was again tired

taste as good as they look? I think so I love these!

Piglet 

I just read that chia seeds besides low carb .. they are very high in the omega's have a good amt of Vit C and Iron!!! (I need these badly)

does anyone use chia seeds?

what do you do with them? ..I bought a lot at the Mercado (mentioned above) and drinking them is ok but it is the only way I know ..Chia Fresca with Jamaica flowers ... I wondered about using them ground up? .....I am going to grind some up and see what happens now but then what?

this could be my new secret ingredient ..as I can not stand flax in any shape or form but want to gain the bennies of it ..so this sounds nutritionally like a good substitute !

please if you know what to do with chia seeds let me know I have a lot of them!!!

they seem so similar to basil seeds except basil seed has some taste to me not just texture and the chia had no flavor at all ...

Piglet 

ok I am going to stop reading about them now..and just use them ... they are touted as a "cure all for everything" from reflux to diabetes ..give me a break ...I hate that!!!

Piglet 

hummingbird kiss, I am making the jicama home fries right now. They are pretty tasty..although the first taste was one that I was expecting potato, since it smelled and looked like it. We shall see if my BF likes them. Thanks for the tip

hummingbird kiss, I am making the jicama home fries right now.  They are pretty tasty..although the first taste was one that I was expecting potato, since it smelled and looked like it.  We shall see if my BF likes them.  Thanks for the tip

yeah they almost look too much like a potato! I agree ..my husband loves them but he said he can not think of them as potatoes at all just a fried up veggie he likes ...

keep cooking them they take a long time!

I am going to go and buy some more today before they are lousy again

I also love to slice them paper thin and roll them up with cheese or even peanut butter inside

Piglet 

Ok I am doing a chia seed/ basil seed side by side ..the seeds are similar except that chia is black and white and basil are all black ..basil seed also hydrates really fast compared to the chia ...I have frog eggs already! (since they are both I think in the mint family I am not even sure why I am doing this except that it is cheap entertainment)

I am going to make a low carb bubble tea today just for the Hell of it! using the basil seed ...the jamaica flower tea and some heavy cream I wonder if the flower will curdle the cream ...

I should go for a walk even in the cold and rain it may be more healthy than obsessing over seeds

Piglet