• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef cubes

JennyUptown

Something a little simpler than Al Dente's recipe is to saute a couple of onions, season with salt, pepper and a little thyme, and remove from the pan. Then brown the beef (also seasoned with salt and pepper). Place both in a large oven proof casserole (with lid, preferably) and add porter or other dark beer to reach about three quarters of the way up the meat. Stick it in a 350 degree oven for about an hour covered and about an hour and a half uncovered or until sauce is reduced to your liking. Stir a small spoonful of dijon style mustard inot the sauce and adjust the salt. I make this with shortribs now, but started out using the technique on round and chuck. Turns out great.

Something a little simpler than Al Dente's recipe is to saute a couple of onions, season with salt, pepper and a little thyme, and remove from the pan. Then brown the beef (also seasoned with salt and pepper). Place both in a large oven proof casserole (with lid, preferably) and add porter or other dark beer to reach about three quarters of the way up the meat. Stick it in a 350 degree oven for about an hour covered and about an hour and a half uncovered or until sauce is reduced to your liking. Stir a small spoonful of dijon style mustard inot the sauce and adjust the salt. I make this with shortribs now, but started out using the technique on round and chuck. Turns out great.

That sounds GOOD, Janet! And simple too (which is key for me). Thank you!

That sounds GOOD, Janet! And simple too (which is key for me). Thank you!

That recipie looks familliar. Belgian Beef Carbonnade perhaps?

Has anyone tried the Pam Anderson method for beef stew in the lastest issue of Fine Cooking in which the stew is cooked in a 450 degree oven for 1 hour 30 min? It goes against everything I've read and practised but I'm curious and will try it sometime. The diameter of the pot (no more than 11") and sealing it really well with tin foil over the stew and pot rim are apparently key.

Re. tomato paste in a tube: Marlene, any place that specializes in Italian items is likely to have this. I find some have too much salt.

Has anyone tried the Pam Anderson method for beef stew in the lastest issue of Fine Cooking in which the stew is cooked in a 450 degree oven for 1 hour 30 min? It goes against everything I've read and practised but I'm curious and will try it sometime. The diameter of the pot (no more than 11") and sealing it really well with tin foil over the stew and pot rim are apparently key.

Re. tomato paste in a tube: Marlene, any place that specializes in Italian items is likely to have this. I find some have too much salt.

I never would have guessed any of the Baywatch crew could cook.

:cool:

Anchovy paste in a tube we have. No tomato paste tubes, but what a great idea!

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

Except that there is WAY TOO MUCH SALT in those tubes.

If you know it ahead of time and prepare, you can salt your dish afterwards but since I cook with very little salt, I had to give up on the tubes after one or two tries, finding the salt content too high for even a tablespoon or so.

Pity. :sad:

Jenny, what did you end up doing with the beef? Great thread, by the way. This weekend I plan on learning the art of braising :smile:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Braising is a beautiful thing. I followed Al_Dente's suggestion (with a plan to try out the porter/mustard suggestion soon!) and it was delicious. Impatient as I am, I tasted the beef after one hour - it was not yet that tender and the sauce was undistinguised (listen to me!!). But after two, the meat was tender and the sauce was much richer. If only I had the patience of yet one more hour...

I have a nice recipe for beef stew -- I'm told it's like what Dinty Moore wishes its stew were like. Never tried Dinty Moore myself.

"Alacarte's Better 'N Dinty Moore Stew"

--Brown beef cubes in a deep pot -- remove from pot & set aside.

--Saute onions until soft. Add olive oil if you need to, though the beef should leave some fat for sauteeing & flavor.

--Return beef cubes to pot. Add baby carrots or carrot slices and chunks of potato. (If you have other vegetables, add them too at this point.)

--Add water to cover. Bring to a boil, then lower flame & allow to simmer until it reduces to a thickness you like.

--You can also add corn starch to thicken the reduction if you like.

Enjoy!

If only I had the patience of yet one more hour...

Braising is more of a weekend hobby-- helps to have plenty of time. It's a good method for a dinner party, since you can get started early on it, and you'll have some flexibility in timing-- you pretty much can't cook it too long.

Did you use tomato paste?

Anchovy paste?

What kinda tomatoes?

You're also going to get more flavor with the short ribs with the bone and marrow and all.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Short ribs are the activity of the weekend. It sounds like it is going to be perfect weather for it. One question. I am not suppose to be in the same room as alcohol right now let alone cook with it, so can I use beef broth instead?

Short ribs are the activity of the weekend. It sounds like it is going to be perfect weather for it. One question. I am not suppose to be in the same room as alcohol right now let alone cook with it, so can I use beef broth instead?

Absolutely. Try to find something good quality though. The stuff at Whole Foods in the cartons is good. Or make your own!

-- A.B.

If only I had the patience of yet one more hour...

Braising is more of a weekend hobby-- helps to have plenty of time. It's a good method for a dinner party, since you can get started early on it, and you'll have some flexibility in timing-- you pretty much can't cook it too long.

Did you use tomato paste?

Anchovy paste?

What kinda tomatoes?

You're also going to get more flavor with the short ribs with the bone and marrow and all.

Yes to tomato paste, no to anchovy paste.

Since you have to avoid alcohol, what about short ribs braised in coffee ancho chili sauce? I made these two weeks ago and they were outrageously good.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Great suggestion, but unfortunately I can't drink caffine either :sad: I may try it without the coffee though.

Short ribs are the activity of the weekend.  It sounds like it is going to be perfect weather for it.  One question.  I am not suppose to be in the same room as alcohol right now let alone cook with it, so can I use beef broth instead?

Since you have to avoid alcohol, what about short ribs braised in coffee ancho chili sauce? I made these two weeks ago and they were outrageously good.

I saw that recipe and was going to try it but I didn't have the list of ingredients with me when I was shopping, so I had to wing it. Next time!

-- A.B.

I never really cooked with tomato paste because it was such a waste. I got the kind in the fancy black tube (can't remember the name). I'll have to swing by Rodmans to pick up some anchovy paste.

i freeze the leftover as tablespoons, pop them in a small ziplock bag and tuck them in the door of the freezer. whenever i need some i pull the the appropriate number of lumps

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Great suggestion, but unfortunately I can't drink caffine either :sad: I may try it without the coffee though.

Do you keep decaf around? Is that an option for you?

I'll admit, I didn't use brewed coffee -- I went with espresso powder.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

What a perfect meal for yesterday's snow! They were fantastic. I didn't use wine or anchovie paste (couldn't find any) but it worked beautifully. I am going to have the leftover all week for lunch.

Jenny, I solved the I can't wait three whole hours problem. Two hours in, make yourself a small bowl full of everything. It was enough to tide me over for another hour and well worth the wait.