• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef cubes

JennyUptown

I have just under a pound of "pure" (their quotes, not mine) round cubes.

Round cubes would sound like jumbo shrimp to me if I didn't realize round refers to the cut, not the shape. :laugh:

I'm not really dying for stir fry. Something rich, perhaps, to go with this awfully cold weather.

I vote for stew. Or some sort of braising. Or anything that involves red wine.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

depending on the cut, you could make something similar to the braised short ribs i made this weekend. wow, it was damn good if i do say so my own self.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Boeuf bourguignon or chili. Yummm.

I have unfortunately lost my incredibly delicious chili recipe (took over a year to simplify and perfect) and am in the process of reconstructing it. Damn scraps of paper...

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

depending on the cut, you could make something similar to the braised short ribs i made this weekend. wow, it was damn good if i do say so my own self.

recipe please. it sounds delicious. perfect for this crappy weather.

Boeuf bourguignon or chili.  Yummm.

I have unfortunately lost my incredibly delicious chili recipe (took over a year to simplify and perfect) and am in the process of reconstructing it.  Damn scraps of paper...

I was winging it, but let's see if I can give you an idea (I'm not much of a measurer):

Brown 10 or 12 nice sized short ribs in olive oil. Do this in batches so as not to crowd the pan. Really get that heat high and get a good crust.

Remove beef, and then saute a large white onion, 3 or 4 carrots, and a couple of big stalks of celery, all coarsely chopped in the same pot with some more olive oil.

Once they're beginning to soften, add a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste and optionally a tablespoon of anchovy paste (adds some body and saltiness). Also throw in some minced garlic-- maybe a tablespoon or two.

Then return the beef to the pot, and add a cup and half of good red wine (I used a decent Cotes du Rhone), and the same amount of beef broth.

Reduce heat to simmer, and let her rip for about 3 hours.

Take out a rib, and sample for tenderness and flavor-- ideally with a glass of wine.

Drink another glass of wine.

If necessary, yet another.

Drain the stew in a colander and remove the bones-- at this point that should be very easy. Strain broth for excessive fat.

Return broth and strained ingredients to the pot.

Then add some tomatoes. I used a can of diced "fire roasted" tomatoes. Really added a nice flavor and extra dimension to the dish.

Just before you're ready to serve, add about 3 tablespoons of fresh parsley.

Serve that thang up, garnish with some more parlsey, and dig in!

Edited by Al_Dente (log)

-- A.B.

Boeuf bourguignon or chili.  Yummm.

I have unfortunately lost my incredibly delicious chili recipe (took over a year to simplify and perfect) and am in the process of reconstructing it.  Damn scraps of paper...

I was winging it, but let's see if I can give you an idea (I'm not much of a measurer):

Brown 10 or 12 nice sized short ribs in olive oil. Do this in batches so as not to crowd the pan. Really get that heat high and get a good crust.

Remove beef, and then saute a large white onion, 3 or 4 carrots, and a couple of big stalks of celery, all coarsely chopped in the same pot with some more olive oil.

Once they're beginning to soften, add a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste and optionally a tablespoon of anchovy paste (adds some body and saltiness). Also throw in some minced garlic-- maybe a tablespoon or two.

Then return the beef to the pot, and add a cup and half of good red wine (I used a decent Cotes du Rhone), and the same amount of beef broth.

Reduce heat to simmer, and let her rip for about 3 hours.

Take out a rib, and sample for tenderness and flavor-- ideally with a glass of wine.

Drink another glass of wine.

If necessary, yet another.

Drain the stew in a colander and remove the bones-- at this point that should be very easy. Strain broth for excessive fat.

Return broth and strained ingredients to the pot.

Then add some tomatoes. I used a can of diced "fire roasted" tomatoes. Really added a nice flavor and extra dimension to the dish.

Just before you're ready to serve, add about 3 tablespoons of fresh parsley.

Serve that thang up, garnish with some more parlsey, and dig in!

I found what I am cooking Sunday night. Thanks

I found what I am cooking Sunday night. Thanks

My fellow DCer. I shopped at Whole Foods. They had some great short ribs, and it's also where I got the anchovy paste and the fire roasted tomatoes. I recommend getting at least those ingredients there.

Let me know how it goes! :wink:

-- A.B.

Oooh, also a side of sauteed swiss chard, done simply with EVOO S&P, was nice along side. Also served up some piccoline (sp?) olives for a kind of garnish.

-- A.B.

I found what I am cooking Sunday night.  Thanks

My fellow DCer. I shopped at Whole Foods. They had some great short ribs, and it's also where I got the anchovy paste and the fire roasted tomatoes. I recommend getting at least those ingredients there.

I've been seraching for a recipe with tomato paste. Picked up a tube at Rodman's over the holiday. I shall report back :smile:

I found what I am cooking Sunday night.  Thanks

I've been seraching for a recipe with tomato paste. Picked up a tube at Rodman's over the holiday. I shall report back :smile:

The tubes are the way to go. The cans suck-- you usually only need a tablespoon or two, and the rest is then wasted. I also think the quality tends to be better. But maybe that's my imagination/pain killer addled mind.

-- A.B.

I never really cooked with tomato paste because it was such a waste. I got the kind in the fancy black tube (can't remember the name). I'll have to swing by Rodmans to pick up some anchovy paste.

I, too, had never seen tomato paste in a tube.

Excellent. I'm sick of throwing out the half cans of paste that sit in my fridge with only a couple dollops gone.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Tubes of tomato paste? We don't have such a thing :angry:

The tubes are an import item (from Italy, I believe). Out here in California we have a chain of stores called World Market (they used to be called Cost Plus World Market but have now dropped the "Cost Plus" part). They carry a lot of imported items, usually have a large wine selection and have branched out into coffee now. They're a great place to go if you need to whip up a quick gift basket of wine & food stuff.

Anyway, in addition to the tomato paste in a tube (looks like a toothpaste tube), they also carry anchovy paste in a tube, which is another great item to have on hand.

If you don't have any World Market stores near you, try a similar store that would carry import items. I've seen the tomato paste tubes in my local Italian deli/store, too.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Anchovy paste in a tube we have. No tomato paste tubes, but what a great idea!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.