• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yuck!

bloviatrix

And in pre-made land the Smorz cereal my kids insisted I buy were DISGUSTING. They won't eat it either!

I just had that this morning. We had a couple kids overnight for Daniel's birthday and it was only $1.29 a box--thought they'd like it. I liked it! But then I never claimed to have a lot of "taste," so to speak.

These little fruit snacks I bought for my kids (they begged me). Oranges & creme, I thought maybe they would taste like a creamsicle. I thought WRONG.

Oh, gawd. Fruit Smoothie Blitz? I get those for Daniel too. I tried them and liked them.

0 for 2.

Gah. The lab is always out of all but the orange flavor when I do these tests.

Don't feel bad, the lemon-lime is disgusting as well. Maybe less disgusting than the orange, but it's the only kind I've ever had. And I totally agree that having to down that, after fasting, it's a recipe for vomiting. Especially if you're used to diet soda.

Rachel Sincere

Bad clams. I LOVE fried clams, but I'm on the verge of swearing off whole bellied clams. This summer I had a beautiful plate of them in front of me, ate a few, and then came across one that left the taste of sewer in my mouth. Honest to God, it is the most nauseating thing in the world. So much so that I don't know if I can take the chance again. (and as a New Englander, I don't want to be considered a wimp if I only eat clam strips! )

And then there's the stuff you have to drink to prepare for a colonoscopy. It has finally left my mind, although it took a couple of months (its effect was a hell of a lot faster on the rest of my body :raz: )

But to get back to supposed food items: fat-free cream cheese. Not only does it taste nothing like cream cheese, but it has the mouthfeel of latex caulking (I presume). And fat-free carrot muffin -- I just found some wrapped in a tissue in my jacket pocket, placed there because there was not trash can in the store. Come to think of it: fat-free ANYTHING. aaaaaaack.

Go figure -- I've eaten (Somewhere? Sometime? When?) those waffley cheese crackers with relish. And:

The two nastiest tastes I can think of off-hand are beloved to many --Root Beer and Cream Soda. Just thinking about either literally makes me tummy wobble.

De gustibus, etc.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

someone explain marmite to me

Re: Marmite. One must be English or at least British to enjoy it just as one must be Australian to appreciate Vegemite.

Also, those who love Marmite loathe Vegemite and vice the versa.

I don't care much for either now but, when in boarding school, would have killed a sibling or a second-best friend for a bit of Marmite on toast. But that's because toast (which was made illegally under one's bed) was the only edible foodstuff.

Vegemite and avocado on toast, or vegemite and cheese sandwiches! Mmmm.

I like it for breakfast with some banana sliced over the top, and a few crushed nuts on top of that! The umami of the vegemite heightens the nuttiness of the bread and nuts and the sweet creaminess of the banana!

I am also somewhat of an anomoly: I love vegemite, but I really don't mind mar- or promite either; and I like it thick and strong (no wimpy scraping of it for me, it's nearly that I have a little bread or toast with my serving of vegemite!)

:blink:

Needless to say that it totally grosses my family and friends out!

Forget the house, forget the children. I want custody of the red and access to the port once a month.

KEVIN CHILDS.

Doesn't play well with others.

What do I think is gross?

Fake (ie processed) cheese.

Frosted cereal.

All candy, with the exception of jelly belly beans and chupa chups!

Forget the house, forget the children. I want custody of the red and access to the port once a month.

KEVIN CHILDS.

Too late to edit in:

As my fellow Burger Club members who were at the Parker Meridian will undoubtedly agree: a salty tamarind candy that I begged off a vendor at last year's Expo Comida Latina. I thought it would be like the tamarind balls I know and love -- sweet, tart, but with a little salt as well -- but it was just, well, dizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzgusting. :wacko:

I also have a habit of picking up snack foods at the various Asian markets I go to. I normally can't read the packages because hardly any of it is in English, I just pick what is interesting looking. Some of them lead to great discoveries and some of them lead me to wish I had no taste buds !  :wacko:

When working for a Korean Gentleman, I was introduced to a most vile snack. I wish I could remember the name. It was peanuts enrobed with cuttlefish candy. :wacko:

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

someone mentioned the japanese dried plums?

they're so many and they are all good

marmite you really have to grow up with - i have a video of my 1 year old spooning it out of the jar with her hands and eating it say "MARMITE" and laughing - i should send that in to them - it;s hilarious

i tried hedgehog crisps (chips) a long time ago and nearly chucked my guts up

i think my first culinary experience was one to remember - coffee with ketchup and salad cream - nightmare

and one thing that irritates me is boney bits in burgers and sausages - i paid like nearly 20 bucks for a burger once and it had a boney bit in it and i complained - my wife got mad at me but i though i was in the right (it's over now)

i go with the processed cheese as being nasty

kraft mac n cheese is not even dog food as far as i'm concerned

maybe you marmite haters should try and get some bovril (beef based) and spread that on toast - that's good

one kind of dominican cooked salami is just not for my palette - this is my most recent yuck

cold french fries - yuck - like i cannot even put one past my lips

The worst was the 3-hour glucose tolerance test while pregnant.  A whole bottle of nasty orange crap, and nothing else to eat or drink for 3 hours.  I was very surprised that I hadn't hurled by the end of it.  :blink:

One of the worst pregnancy experiences I ever had. To make matters worse, my doctor requisitioned my blood tests early on in my pregnancy, so I had to take this test during the first trimester of Morning, Noon and Night Sickness. Talk about barfish. It was the ultimate test of intestinal fortitude... literally.

The two nastiest tastes I can think of off-hand are beloved to many --Root Beer and Cream Soda. Just thinking about either literally makes me tummy wobble.

Whoohoo Maggie! I know the anti-rootbeer conversation has come up before, but I'm right there with you in that hate parade. Blecch to the nth degree.

And my most vilified food/flavour? Black licorice. That also rules out fennel, anise seed, and ouzo. My teeth are sweating just thinking about it.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

uuuhh- the bowel prep stuff is called "GO-lytely" and upper gi- contrast doesn't taste nearly as bad as it did about 15 years ago- i don't ask my patients to drink anything i haven't tried myself. my bad taste?? dried cuttlefish on a crowded train in korea- mixed with soju, i might add. BLECH!

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

A is for Andouillete. Lord knows I've tried to see what people like in it. There are societies of lovers of andouillete in France, people who dine regularly on the hog-pissy-tasting stuff with gusto. I can eat just about everything but...

Since I don't see any limitation to only processed foods, here are some real food yucks:

Octopus

Squid

Rare duck

Chicken sashimi

Martinis don't come from vodka and bacon don't come from turkeys!

Since I don't see any limitation to only processed foods, here are some real food yucks:

Rare duck

Dear God! How do you like your duck?

Have a friend who's very fond of saying "I'm so hungry I could eat the crotch out of a low-flying duck!"

Now *that's* rare! :laugh:

KEVIN CHILDS.

Black eyed peas. Barf-o-rama. Found them in chili once. Waitress thought I was crazy. She told the cook, and he sheepishly admitted that he accidentally added a can of those black eyed peas accidentally, and didn't notice until it was all together and simmering. He didn't think anyone would notice. Wrong, Jocko...

And regarding medical stuff, anyone ever had a GI cocktail? As served in emergency rooms, not military bases. The green one. Think Maalox, mixed with lidocaine and donnatal. And I was already in there for a bad stomach problem. Lucky I didn't paint the walls.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Don't like Ovaltine? Captain Midnight would never approve!

When I was a kid, you had to dissolve it in a little warm tap water in order to mix the milk in. Those were the days. The product has morphed a bit since then, but mixed up with ice cream! Yum!

doc

How can you not like rare duck? Or squid and octopus, for that matter? Yumm.

I don't know about the chicken sashimi, since I haven't had it, but I have a feeling I'd like it a lot.

Arielle: I like chupa chups, too. But I usually don't get to have more than one lick. I buy them for my cat and he licks them down to little nubs. It takes about 10 minutes or so, but he likes them so much that I feel it's worth it to sit there and hold the stick for him.

And processed cheese is probably one of the grossest things around. Except for canned peas, of course.

How can you not like rare duck? Or squid and octopus, for that matter? Yumm.

I don't know about the chicken sashimi, since I haven't had it, but I have a feeling I'd like it a lot.

Arielle: I like chupa chups, too. But I usually don't get to have more than one lick. I buy them for my cat and he licks them down to little nubs. It takes about 10 minutes or so, but he likes them so much that I feel it's worth it to sit there and hold the stick for him.

And processed cheese is probably one of the grossest things around. Except for canned peas, of course.

Actually I kinda like canned peas! (With lots of salt and pepper - somehow they are very comforting to me!)

Your cat likes them?! What flavour in particular - chocolate?

KEVIN CHILDS.

Octopus

Squid

Rare duck

Chicken sashimi

Ok I will agree with Chicken Sashimi maybe depends on how it was fixed. If really raw I would have to agree.

But have to disagree on the others. Fresh Octopus Sushi really good not chewy, but most sushi bars just order the precooked rubber stuff.

Squid; Depends on how it's done. Nothing better than spicy, salted Chinese style squid.

Also nothing wrong with rear duck :raz: but beauty is in the eye of the beholder :laugh:

Never trust a skinny chef

Chicken sashimi

Isn't that food poisoning waiting to happen? :biggrin:

I once had a stir-fry of chinese greens (something called "Tin Chat"). They became slimier with every chew until I eventually barfed. Never ordered it again.