• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yuck!

bloviatrix

I apologize profusely in advance to our Canadian and/or English brethren, but one of the most nasty 'food products' I have had was a chocolate bar.

I can't remember the name, but here are the clues in case someone can figure it out:

I'm not much of a chocolate bar eater, but I AM Canadian, and I think I know what you're referring to.

It's called "Cadbury's Flake" I've just googled it for pictures, but all there seems to be is a series of images of the wrapping (and a Nokia cellphone cover in Flake colours with a logo!)

I always thought that Flake was gross, and very waxy, but it is definitely a nostalgia thing for those that grew up with them, primarily in the UK and in the colonies. I have friends born in South Africa, Malta and Hong Kong and they all "wax" nostalgic about flake.

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding!! Yes, that's it, Flake.

Thank you!

Yes, I can understand nostalgia with childhood candies, but without that benefit, I have to say I did not enjoy it. Em, guess I made that clear above having fun with my purple prose.

Thanks for the additional info re: it's distrbution and fans. :smile:

p.s

'waxing' nostalgic...
:laugh:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Durian cookies. Had to throw the cookies outside in a dumpster. For some reason, kept the wrapper inside, and it was so bad it had to be thrown away. Later taken outside too, as the wrapper itself was so foul people were afraid to go near the garbage can.

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

Two words: Little Smokies

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

ovaltine???????????

canned salmon, mushed up with bones and skin Uggggh

raisans, mushrooms

tripe= I used to work for a ship chandler and most ships are asian crew and this is the crap that must have been eaten all day every day. I used to supply tons of this stuff.

I don't understand why people go weak at the knees at the site of crisp turkey neck or ox tail or pigs feet? someone explain this to me. The whole turkey is sitting there on the counter, all cut up nicely ready to serve, and the staff is fighting over the neck.

I'm so with you on the canned salmon. I remember my mom feeding it to me as a kid and hating it with a passion.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

ovaltine???????????

raisans, mushrooms

tripe= I used to work for a ship chandler and most ships are asian crew and this is the crap that must have been eaten all day every day. I used to supply tons of this stuff.

I don't understand why people go weak at the knees at the site of crisp turkey neck or ox tail or pigs feet? someone explain this to me. The whole turkey is sitting there on the counter, all cut up nicely ready to serve, and the staff is fighting over the neck.

ox tail is GREAT!!!

probably one of the best cuts, in terms of stews.

pork knuckles are great braised or roasted till crispy.

tripe is good :) so is tendon YUM!

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

• 8 months later...

I'm gonna have to go with Chinese dried plums as my biggest regret. Think raisins dipped in ascorbic acid, and rolled in coarse salt. Not only did I immediately spit it out, I hesitiated to put my tongue back in my mouth for the residual Round Two.

Oooh! The shivers I get just thinking about it!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

"Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian; wine and tarragon make it French. Sour cream makes it Russian; lemon and cinnamon make it Greek. Soy sauce makes it Chinese; garlic makes it good."

Just to add to Susan G's quote... Gravy makes it British

I apologize profusely in advance to our Canadian and/or English brethren, but one of the most nasty 'food products' I have had was a chocolate bar.

I can't remember the name, but here are the clues in case someone can figure it out:

1. can usually purchase in Canada but not in the US (may be popular in Montreal, don't know about other countries)

2. the chocolate is 'nominally' milk chocolate and has a (purposefully) wrinkled, bark-like exterior which I guess it to create some desired effect, not sure what though

3. there is some type of unidentifiable crunchy matter in the middle of the bar; it may even be interspersed with the chocolate

4. I did do a little searching on the web but couldn't find it; I'm really not sure what country it is made in.

I'm sure if you grow up with this candy, it may be an old nostalgic flavor from childhood, but this was one of the few items I've eaten where I spit the food back out of my mouth  (I had opportunity to do so discretely).  The chocolate was wax-like with very little chocolate flavor and had some other indescribable but undeniable off-taste and the crunch texture inside was also somehow very displeasing (crumbled in a weird way).

On a side note, I've alluded to the aesthetics of this candy above but let me describe further.  My mouth was primed for disappointment just by the look of the thing as I peeled it out of its cocoon-like wrapper.  Not to be vile, but it literallly looked like a turd!!!

This may have influenced my subsequent taste rejection...

Whew... just reliving the memories.... :smile:

A Canadian classic, my dear - Crispy Crunch.

I'm not much of a chocolate bar eater, but I AM Canadian, and I think I know what you're referring to.

It's called "Cadbury's Flake" I've just googled it for pictures, but all there seems to be is a series of images of the wrapping (and a Nokia cellphone cover in Flake colours with a logo!)

I always thought that Flake was gross, and very waxy, but it is definitely a nostalgia thing for those that grew up with them, primarily in the UK and in the colonies. I have friends born in South Africa, Malta and Hong Kong and they all "wax" nostalgic about flake.

I didn't think about the Flake - don't you think it might be Crispy Crunch?

I actually like tinned salmon with bones etc. Haven't had it in a decade and more though.

Re: Marmite. One must be English or at least British to enjoy it just as one must be Australian to appreciate Vegemite.

Also, those who love Marmite loathe Vegemite and vice the versa.

I don't care much for either now but, when in boarding school, would have killed a sibling or a second-best friend for a bit of Marmite on toast. But that's because toast (which was made illegally under one's bed) was the only edible foodstuff.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Four words: Fish Flavored Beef Jerky.

I was at the yearly bazaar that the Japanese Buddhist church that my IL's go to, and they were handing out samples of it at the booth they were selling beer, sake and soft drinks at.. That stuff violated so many levels of wrongness.

Why????? What would possess someone to even come up with that????? What were they smoking????

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Ovaltine. Why would someone think ground up vitamins in chocolate milk would taste GOOD?

Yams...especially those preformed patties you see in some groceries stores. Blech.

Contrast dye for CT scans...they make you drink it in juice...like that helps. :blink: That taste lingers forever.

it just makes me want to sit down and eat a bag of sugar chased down by a bag of flour.

Contrast dye for CT scans...they make you drink it in juice...like that helps.  :blink: That taste lingers forever.

:laugh::wacko: Yes, I call that drink "Hell's Hawiian Punch". What makes it even worse is you have to drink the huge bottle of chalky coconut-flavored slop first, on an empty stomach I might add, then follow it up with the evil red brew. Quite nasty.

One of the nastiest snacks I've had were little waffle sandwich crackers (each about the size of a quarter) with cheese.  Sort of like Ritz Bits, only wafflier.  It was such an odd concept that I had to try them; but as any sensible person could have told me in advance, it was also a mistake.  They were tiny gut bombs: extremely salty, with a pronounced chemical taste in the "cheese", and greasy as hell.  Ugh.

Wise's Cheez Waffies? PMS 'must' food.

I love Cheez Waffies! :rolleyes: I secretly buy one bag a year and eat them all by myself. :shock:

KathyM

I live in a smallish town and it would seem that manufacturers use us as a testing ground for their new, questionable products. Hence, microwavable pork rinds. Of course I just HAD to try them. The smell was unbelievably foul. The rinds snapped and popped for about 45 minutes after being removed from the microwave. Perhaps in protest to being the subject of a nauseating idea? Cardboard dipped in rancid fat and put in the dryer on high. That's my product review Mr. Manufacturer! :laugh:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

These little fruit snacks I bought for my kids (they begged me). Oranges & creme, I thought maybe they would taste like a creamsicle. I thought WRONG.

I also have a habit of picking up snack foods at the various Asian markets I go to. I normally can't read the packages because hardly any of it is in English, I just pick what is interesting looking. Some of them lead to great discoveries and some of them lead me to wish I had no taste buds ! :wacko:

Today is going to be one of those days.....

I have to concur with the very first post - Tofu 2 Go! Ick, ick, ick!

My penance is re-reading the Tofu eCGI class over again. :-)

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Now, I realize this isn't precisely "food" but then if someone can talk contrast dye I can surely mention Glu-Cola. This is something the endocrinologist made me down when I was having a blood-sugar test. Imagine Coke with an extra 4 pounds of sugar in the can. The add some corn syrup. And perhaps a little baker's glucose. Drop in some of that lump sugar that comes with coffee service sometimes. Mix it well.

Then sip, because the rules are you can't chug. The sit with the aftertaste glued to your tongue, right along with your teeth. Mention that maybe the endocrinologist might like a bottle of it himself. Suggest that he write a letter to your dentist, explanation the sudden sugar-induced destruction of the work you just had done, and what remained of your actual teeth.

Shudder!!!

"My tongue is smiling." - Abigail Trillin

Ruth Shulman

my kids picked up some snack at the store a little while ago, it was like a gummy bear coated in chocolate and bad chocolate at that.

I actually spit it out, it was vile!

My kids downed the whole box..... :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Now, I realize this isn't precisely "food" but then if someone can talk contrast dye I can surely mention Glu-Cola. This is something the endocrinologist made me down when I was having a blood-sugar test. Imagine Coke with an extra 4 pounds of sugar in the can. The add some corn syrup. And perhaps a little baker's glucose. Drop in some of that lump sugar that comes with coffee service sometimes. Mix it well.

Ah... as far as Glu-Cola goes, the lemon-lime flavor is the easiest to get down, particularly if it's ice cold. The orange one was pretty nasty. I had to down a bottle each time I was pregnant.

Cheryl

Now, I realize this isn't precisely "food" but then if someone can talk contrast dye I can surely mention Glu-Cola.

Ah... as far as Glu-Cola goes, the lemon-lime flavor is the easiest to get down, particularly if it's ice cold. The orange one was pretty nasty. I had to down a bottle each time I was pregnant.

Gah. The lab is always out of all but the orange flavor when I do these tests.

The worst was the 3-hour glucose tolerance test while pregnant. A whole bottle of nasty orange crap, and nothing else to eat or drink for 3 hours. I was very surprised that I hadn't hurled by the end of it. :blink:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme