• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yuck!

bloviatrix

As I sit and type, I'm trying to get a nasty taste out of my mouth.

A couple of months ago, while in Gourmet Garage, I saw what looked like an interesting snack. It was called Pete's Tofu 2 Go and contained tofu patties and dipping sauce. Since I'm always on the hunt for foods rich in protein, I decided to keep in mind for a future purchase.

Well, stay away from it!! I bought the Thai Tango Tofu with Mango-Wasabi dipping sauce and it's nasty. The texture is kind of like sweetbreads, but in a bad way and without the dipping sauce tastes like flavored cardboard. The sauce is ok -- sweet and hot, but does nothing to mask the patties.

I'm thoroughly disgusted. Now I need to figure out how to toss it with out getting the "wasting food" lecture.

We all have mistakes -- what are yours?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Good topic. I have a weakness for picking up random packages of junk food I find at stores. Sometimes that turns out well; other times it turns out to be a fiasco.

One of the nastiest snacks I've had were little waffle sandwich crackers (each about the size of a quarter) with cheese. Sort of like Ritz Bits, only wafflier. It was such an odd concept that I had to try them; but as any sensible person could have told me in advance, it was also a mistake. They were tiny gut bombs: extremely salty, with a pronounced chemical taste in the "cheese", and greasy as hell. Ugh.

I've never seen them since- my guess is that the product launch was a failure- and my wife STILL brings them up every so often, just to say "I told you so."

Tried some soy-based pasta a while back in an attempt to lower my kids' starch intake. Exactly like eating cooked cardboard, except maybe just a bit worse. Incredibly the kids and my husband managed to down several bites each until I finally pronounced it inedible. Hugh sighs of relief all around.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Tried a low-carb pasta "DaVinci" brand and almost hurled. Awful, dreadful stuff with a flavor and texture reminiscent of Play-Dough. Had some Chinese last week and the "beef" was so chewy and revolting I had to spit out each piece I put in my mouth. Bad couple weeks for me and textures in food, I guess... Bleh! :blink:

Olives stuffed with blue cheese. Sounded good but wasn't.

Martini made with Stoli Vanilla. Love vanilla, love a martini but together...sickening.

And in pre-made land the Smorz cereal my kids insisted I buy were DISGUSTING. They won't eat it either!

Olives stuffed with blue cheese. Sounded good but wasn't.

Martini made with Stoli Vanilla. Love vanilla, love a martini but together...sickening.

And in pre-made land the Smorz cereal my kids insisted I buy were DISGUSTING. They won't eat it either!

i once had a martini with a blue-cheese stuffed olive in it--was surprisingly good.

Someone gifted me with a jar of Artichoke Pesto from Trader Joe's. Looked great – mooshed up marinated artichoke with some herbs and stuff. Spread a spoonful on a cracker....Interesting at first, some garlic flavor, a little heavy on the lemon or vinegar, and then there's a hit of something very out of place. It took me a few moments to identify it: dried tarragon. Ick. That shit ought to be banned (dried tarragon, that is).

I apologize profusely in advance to our Canadian and/or English brethren, but one of the most nasty 'food products' I have had was a chocolate bar.

I can't remember the name, but here are the clues in case someone can figure it out:

1. can usually purchase in Canada but not in the US (may be popular in Montreal, don't know about other countries)

2. the chocolate is 'nominally' milk chocolate and has a (purposefully) wrinkled, bark-like exterior which I guess it to create some desired effect, not sure what though

3. there is some type of unidentifiable crunchy matter in the middle of the bar; it may even be interspersed with the chocolate

4. I did do a little searching on the web but couldn't find it; I'm really not sure what country it is made in.

I'm sure if you grow up with this candy, it may be an old nostalgic flavor from childhood, but this was one of the few items I've eaten where I spit the food back out of my mouth (I had opportunity to do so discretely). The chocolate was wax-like with very little chocolate flavor and had some other indescribable but undeniable off-taste and the crunch texture inside was also somehow very displeasing (crumbled in a weird way).

On a side note, I've alluded to the aesthetics of this candy above but let me describe further. My mouth was primed for disappointment just by the look of the thing as I peeled it out of its cocoon-like wrapper. Not to be vile, but it literallly looked like a turd!!!

This may have influenced my subsequent taste rejection...

Whew... just reliving the memories.... :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

File under "I'm not making this up" :

Yesterday in the mail I received a flyer from a local Pan-Asian restaurant advertising their new promotion, which they are calling "Funky Sushi". Apparently, for $20 you get a bowl of miso soup and all the "Funky Sushi" you can eat between 5-8 PM .

Word to those guys: NO THANKS!!! :blink:

Mark

File under "I'm not making this up" :

Yesterday in the mail I received a flyer from a local Pan-Asian restaurant advertising their new promotion, which they are calling "Funky Sushi". Apparently, for $20 you get a bowl of miso soup and all the "Funky Sushi" you can eat between 5-8 PM .

Word to those guys: NO THANKS!!! :blink:

Didn't Rick James write that tune?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

You know Fantastic Foods that does all those dried soups, etc. that they sell at WHOLE FOODS?

Well now they have CARB-tastic soup!

I mean, come on, those soups aren't that good. You can enjoy them when you're starving or on your little diet before you put on your bathing suit. And now they go and make low carb versions of everything. Yuck, right?

If we have to be like this, isn't vigorous exercise much more attractive than eating all this low carb stuff? Eggs, lattes, soup. NO, NOT SOUP!

http://www.fantasticfoods.com/scripts/disp...category_id=300

I apologize profusely in advance to our Canadian and/or English brethren, but one of the most nasty 'food products' I have had was a chocolate bar.

I can't remember the name, but here are the clues in case someone can figure it out:

Sounds like you've stumbled across Violet Crumble. Yes? No?

someone explain marmite to me

I like marmite. The key is to eat very, very, very little. Spread a tiny bit on toast. A little goes a long way. An amount the size of, say, a pea, is about right for a piece of bread.

amanda

Googlista

yeast based spread.

savoury and gross looking.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Sounds like you've stumbled across Violet Crumble. Yes? No?

I like marmite. The key is to eat very, very, very little. Spread a tiny bit on toast. A little goes a long way. An amount the size of, say, a pea, is about right for a piece of bread.

No, not Violet Crumble.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I'm not much of a chocolate bar eater, but I AM Canadian, and I think I know what you're referring to.

It's called "Cadbury's Flake" I've just googled it for pictures, but all there seems to be is a series of images of the wrapping (and a Nokia cellphone cover in Flake colours with a logo!)

I always thought that Flake was gross, and very waxy, but it is definitely a nostalgia thing for those that grew up with them, primarily in the UK and in the colonies. I have friends born in South Africa, Malta and Hong Kong and they all "wax" nostalgic about flake.

One of the nastiest snacks I've had were little waffle sandwich crackers (each about the size of a quarter) with cheese.  Sort of like Ritz Bits, only wafflier.  It was such an odd concept that I had to try them; but as any sensible person could have told me in advance, it was also a mistake.  They were tiny gut bombs: extremely salty, with a pronounced chemical taste in the "cheese", and greasy as hell.  Ugh.

Wise's Cheez Waffies? PMS 'must' food.

One of the nastiest snacks I've had were little waffle sandwich crackers (each about the size of a quarter) with cheese.  Sort of like Ritz Bits, only wafflier.  It was such an odd concept that I had to try them; but as any sensible person could have told me in advance, it was also a mistake.  They were tiny gut bombs: extremely salty, with a pronounced chemical taste in the "cheese", and greasy as hell.  Ugh.

Wise's Cheez Waffies? PMS 'must' food.

Much like that, but a different brand; also, the ones I tried were square. And I suspect that even if I got PMS, these'd still be a mustn't...