• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gator

jhlurie

I far from the most adventurous of foodies.  I'm downright conservative, and the list of things I won't eat might rival the list of things I will.  

But for some reason I've never had a problem with Alligator (I suspect I'd like Rattlesnake too, but that's another topic).

My three experiences with Gator have been as a sausage in Gumbo, as a fried concoction treated kind of like Calamari and as a filet.

What other Gator eatin' experiences are out there?  Do folks other than the cajuns eat it?  Is Crocodile an acceptible substitute, and if so who eats it?  Aussies?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

You can certainly get crocodile here in Australia, though I must say its not exactly a common local thing - more something for the tourists :) - as with most other Australian native animals, though I'm yet to see Koala anywhere...  

I've seen crocodile served ranging from teriyaki style to crocodile pies - seems you can get just about anything in a pie here.  I tried a pie once, and to be honest I wasn't all that taken with it.  I'll have a go at most things, and there isn't much I don't like, but I didn't really like the taste nor the texture of the crocodile meat.  Having never tried gator, I don't know how similar they are.

Gator is occasionally on the specials board at Palazzo in Montclair NJ.

Breaded and deep fried (McNugget style) with a selection of dipping sauces. Found it to be tough, resembled (over cooked) chicken. They offered a shredded version with julienne carrots at one point, wasn't impressed with that, either.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 1 year later...

It's 14.5 months later, and I'm still curious about eGullet user's experiences with gator. So I'm bumping this.

Bump.

Maybe I got lucky in that--unlike Paul--the gator I've had wasn't that "tough". Does gator get better when tenderized?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

My two experiences were both in NOLA ( or just outside )

Jaques-imo's in the Garden District did an "Aligator Cheesecake " Which was a rich souffle with chunks of smoked gator and a rich cheese. It was pretty special

On the other hand we also had a wonderful plate of fried Gator tails at the B&C seafood shack after doing the tourist thing and going on a swamp tour. These were good but not a patch on the deep fried bullfrogs legs that came with them

S

I recall having it once in Louisiana. It was deep fried. It was tough and dry like overcooked lean pork. I don't know if it had been overcooked. I thought it tasted more like pork than chicken. There was a producer/distributor? of gator at the recent restaurant show in the Javits Center. He had samples. I don't recall trying it, but if I did, it didn't change my original impression. I'd imagine aligator gets tender when it's tenderized. If it doesn't, it wasn't tenderized. Better is a relative thing.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Here in SE TX get alligator mostly as appetizers - usually deep fried with a dipping sauce, although sometimes in gumbo or sausage. I've had some that was tender and delicious and some tough as rubber bands (on the same plate). I wonder if the tenderness has more to do with the care it was given after butchering, or maybe the age of the animal. Or amphibian. whatever

Usually, it's pretty good.

Stop Family Violence

Bux, his wife Esilda and I sampled alligator at the NY restaurants show at Jacob Javitts earlier this year. The stand promoting the meat was close to the demonstration arena where we had just watched Chefs Barber and Anthony of Blue Hill demonstrate desserts. The alligator meat was fried in a saucepan, and was of medium fattiness. It tasted similar to pork or chicken, but seemed a bit more moist than most pork preparations. The meat was whitish in color.

I have always found it to be somewhat bland. There used to be a restaurant on West Street called Howe's Bayou that served it. In Florida, I've had it at The Oar House in Lake Worth, on Congress Avenue, which is a dark, narrow, cinderblock place with very fresh fish, an enormous beer list and consistently the best key lime pie there is.

In Cambodia and Thailand they farm crocodiles, for food and hides. Never tried any (must not be on the foreigner menu), has anyone here? Here's a wholesaler: http://www.thaiinterfoods.com/ .

I have had alligator as some sort of breaded thing in St. Louis; fairly unmemorable.

Here's the back yard of a guesthouse in Cambodia.

50340001.jpg

Edited by mb7o (log)

Here in SE TX get alligator mostly as appetizers - usually deep fried with a dipping sauce, although sometimes in gumbo or sausage. I've had some that was tender and delicious and some tough as rubber bands (on the same plate). I wonder if the tenderness has more to do with the care it was given after butchering, or maybe the age of the animal. Or amphibian. whatever

Usually, it's pretty good.

I had the same experience in Alabama a couple of years ago. Tough and tender on the same plate, but I thought overall it wasn't any big deal one way or the other. Not sure if I would go out of my way to have it again, but I wouldn't not eat it either. I thought perhaps the difference in texture was due to the pieces being from different parts of the tail. I wonder what isn't edible deep-fried though. :wink: