• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC Pizza Survey

slkinsey

If not Franny's; I would enjoy Nick's, can do Angelo's although I'd prefer something I haven't tried.

So far, we have confirmed for the 10th:

Pan,

myself

Jen

I think Emmapeel has confirmed but just waiting to hear back from her.

Tentative:

Bond Girl

wannabechef

Several expressed interest but had schedule conflicts with the 10th.

We could move it to the next weekend or if the group overwhelmingly wants Franny's I would be willing to organize two group trips there - one on the 10th and one later - perhaps the next weekend. It might be interesting to compare the results from the two groups. Don't know if its allowed under current rules, just thought I'd throw it out there. And yes, I love pizza :wub:

Edited by DanaT (log)

Dana, perhaps those of us who can go on the 10th should also indicate what other days/times we are available, in the interest of having the largest number of participants possible. Though that doesn't seem applicable to Franny's.

In terms of rules, the only issue would be whether the get-together is of a type likely to result in substantive food-related discussion. If that's true once, it can and should be true twice. In case there are two groups and one doesn't contain any eGullet stuff members, we can deal with that closer to the time, but it isn't a big issue at all.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Dana, perhaps those of us who can go on the 10th should also indicate what other days/times we are available, in the interest of having the largest number of participants possible. Though that doesn't seem applicable to Franny's.

You bring up a good point Michael. If we want to sample a lot of pies for the surveys a bigger group can handle it better. We don't want to bust the bank on our first pizza outing!

At a later date, we may want to pursue arranging something special with Franny's so we can bring a larger crowd - I don't think its undoable but after a couple of conversations I had, its going to take time and someone with more knowlegde than I have at the moment.

In the meantime, I took a look at Otto's site on Sam's recommendation and the pizza looks realy good. Especially the Bianca and Fennel. They also have the classic Marinara and Pepperoni so we can compare. What do you all think? It doesn't look too expensive-its in Manhattan and it takes reservations for parties up to 11.

Otto's website

The place I am dying to try is the newly opened Adrienne's, on Stone Street, from Nick Angelis of Forest Hills fame. He's trying to do a Umberto / Di Fara style Grandma pie and I want to see what he comes up with.

Josh

Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!

Ooh, Mr. Cutlets, what an intriguing suggestion :hmmm:

Pan, a quick Google search reveals Adrienne's is in Manhattan's Financial District.

I'll do two outings! I'll show up late! I'll repost my availability!

Weekday evenings after 7pm

Saturday lunch and dinner (i.e. just not between 3 and 6pm)

Sunday lunch (tho' Father's Day might present a conflict)

So tempting to call in sick to make an early dinner on the 10th, too bad I haven't any sick days left :wink:

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four

This thread seems to be fading again. Obviously, nothing happened on the 10th. Shall we shoot for the 19th? The evening of the 18th or 17th? All look possible for me at the moment (but Father's Day is this coming Sunday, right?) The following weekend would look approximately the same for me. And the next question is, where? What shall we do, get a list of people who are available and then take a vote on where to go?

Michael aka "Pan"

As it seems things seem to be running out of steam here, perhaps something centrally located, like DeMarco's. Has the survey been there yet? I was there but only ordered by the slice. Perhaps the pie would be better. Please excuse me if I am commiting a pizza faux pas by recommending this place. My only excuse is that I have not been to a Pizza survey gathering.

Edited by mascarpone (log)

No, the survey hasn't been there, and no, you're not committing a faux pas, but if there are only two people still interested, that would not a survey make. So, anyone else still interested?

Michael aka "Pan"