• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC Pizza Survey

slkinsey

Oh, hey, look, we're in Gothamist too!

I might have a thing to say or two about their idea that the "pizza bottom" shot should be patented by Slice NY :blink:

(not that I begrudge them their happy obsession either!)

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I asked Pan what happened to the pizza outings and he said, why don't you start up one? So I shall! :biggrin:

First time I'm doing this so if anybody has a better suggestion just bring it on. Right now I'm looking at Franny's in Brooklyn and Nick's in Forest Hills. Now that its warm, we may get to sit outside in Franny's garden. I'll give them a call since someone mentioned party size as a concern. Nick's is in my old neighborhood in Forest Hills. Really good pizza recommendations better than its UES counterpart.

So anybody interested, have some better suggestions? Possible times during the week: Thursday or Friday dinner. Saturday lunch or dinner. (If we do Saturday, then Nick's is my vote, its near the funnky artisan shops in Forest Hills-always worth a visit.) Sunday and Monday are the only days that are truly bad.

Post your thoughts here and let's get together! I'm in the mood for a really good pizza and really good company to go with it. :wub:

This week, all bets are off for me. Next week, Thursday (6/9) or Friday (6/10) are fine and dinner but not lunch on Saturday (6/11) is OK. I have gigs from June 15-18, including a Saturday matinee I'm missing my teaching job for, so that week is out. Available for dinner June 23-25. Starting on July 2, I may be available for lunch on Saturdays, too, but my schedule for those weeks is as yet undefined.

Michael aka "Pan"

This week, all bets are off for me. Next week, Thursday (6/9) or Friday (6/10) are fine and dinner but not lunch on Saturday (6/11) is OK. I have gigs from June 15-18, including a Saturday matinee I'm missing my teaching job for, so that week is out. Available for dinner June 23-25. Starting on July 2, I may be available for lunch on Saturdays, too, but my schedule for those weeks is as yet undefined.

Good for you Michael. I didn't know till I read your host bio that you're a musician. Knock 'em dead. :biggrin:

6/9, 6/10, 6/11 are good for me for dinner. My job is just too unpredictable in the beginning of the week for me to commit to a Monday Tuesday or Wednesday night. 6/11 will work best of all. On the weekends I don't feel like I'm rushing and if planned far enough in advance they're doable.

I'm willing. I've thought of going in there by myself several times, but haven't gone yet.

I'm not playing that gig, because it turns out to be a reed chair (flute/clarinet/soprano sax/alto sax, one player), so that opens up that week for me.

So, anyone else interested? If so, post your availability.

Michael aka "Pan"

Franny's Franny's Franny's! Only because it's the elephant in the room :rolleyes: Well, that, and I've really been dying to go.

But I'd be up for good pizza and good company anywhere, I suppose. I am a pretty flexible girl.

And my schedule is so open right now! At least for the times you mentioned. I was about to cry off Saturday lunches but my Improv 101 class this summer is from 3 to 6, right in the middle. The only actual date I may have the slightest problem with is the 11th, because it's my sister's birthday, but I suspect she'll want to stay in DE with her homies. I'll post as soon as I know.

Whee! Thanks for kick-starting the thread, DanaT. This will be fun!

Cool guys! I just got some private messages of people interested - I hope we get a good group. Funny Jen I hadn't seen your post when I pmed you that I would be easy - just wanted fabulous pizza with fabulous folk.

Well I just called Franny's - the largest group they seat is six and they don't do lunch on weekends. So far its still doable with the numbers that have confirmed but I don't know how big the groups get. If we get 10 to 12 then we can split the group and ask for two tables close together.

I'm still game for Franny's - my boss recommended it highly (she must know every pizza joint in Brooklyn) but I think we better have a Plan B - like a Luzza's or a Nick's if the crowd gets too large.

Why don't we say tentative 5/10 for Franny's for dinner and then if too many confirm to comfortably do Franny's we can go to a Plan B restaurant like Nick's or Luzzo's.

Edited by DanaT (log)

[...]

Why don't we say tentative 5/10 for Franny's for dinner and then if too many confirm to comfortably do Franny's we can go to a Plan B restaurant like Nick's or Luzzo's.

You mean 6/10, right? That's OK for me. So, who's in? We need a list. We also need a time. 7:30? 7?

Michael aka "Pan"

yes, 6/10. If we realistically want to go to Franny's we better move the time up to 6:30. They open the bar at 5 and the restaurant at 5:30. Actually I think 6:30 is a little late.

I'll post a list later this weekend but in the meantime, anyone who's interested can post here.

:wacko: Well, if you guys go on a Friday night, and on Friday night you have to go at opening, that means you'll be done by the time I can make it there! I work M-F from 11am-7pm.

Seriously, they don't even take reservations for big groups?

I just called my sister. She'll be in the outer banks for her b-day so I'm free the 11th for dinner - would that work for anyone?

Oh, and hey DanaT - I posted because you PM'd!

Saturday nights for dinner are possible for me, though since I work from 9-3 in Brooklyn College, we're talking about going back to Brooklyn again for dinner. So if it's possible, I'd rather avoid Saturdays, at least in June.

Michael aka "Pan"

Unfortunately, I have a competition that night (I sing at 8:30 pm! :blink: :blink:), so won't be able to join you. Damn it...I LOVE Franny's.

*sigh* have a four cheese 'za for me...

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Somebody mentioned Peperoncino on 5th Ave. and St. Marks Pl. upthread...

...while I enjoy their pizza, I must warn you all to NOT order the mixed meat and cheese plate appetizer, unless of course you're in the mood for a few microscopic slivers of cheese (one variety, not assorted in the slightest) atop a huge pile of crap ham studded with slices of pimento loaf.

Oh, and the service was incredibly bad.

Unfortunately, I have a competition that night (I sing at 8:30 pm! :blink: :blink:), so won't be able to join you. Damn it...I LOVE Franny's.

K

When are you available, K?

Michael aka "Pan"

bergerka we'd love you to join us. the 10th isn't set in stone. peter why don't you join us?

I could do the 11th too, actually I think it would be a nicer night to go. We could get there at 5 have some drinks, eat some good pizza and be home at a reasonable hour to start the work week again.

Jen, I didn't push them on the no reservations policy just asked them what was what. I'm really glad I pmed you. it would be great for you to join us. :biggrin:

K

Oh, I forgot, good luck on your competition. :biggrin:

Dana, this sounds like fun. At this point, I am going to suggest that we don't aim for Franny's and hold off until another time. It really is a very small place, and it may realistically be above some budgets. With places that small (Fornino as well) we really need to set something up in advance -- although if only six people are going this time, that's a different story. I hope to arrange a pizza demonstration for us at Franny's some time in the future.

In the meanwhile, there are a number of very interesting places we haven't tried yet that should have less trouble accommodating the group. Luzzo's sounds interesting. There's also Angelo's in midtown (coal oven). Nick's in Forest Hills is a major place we haven't visited yet. For that matter, there's Otto.

--

Hi Sam,

I think you and I are on the same page regarding Franny's = its not doable for more than six people. I've been to Angelo's - its good and I'd love to go again. I haven't been to the other places (Di Fara, Arturos) on this thread so I'm the last person for comparison. Nick's and Luzzo's also look good.

Still the restaurant the most have responded to has been Franny's and one hates to disappoint! :biggrin: So far we still have four so that's why we said, tentatively Franny's and if the group gets too large (or the group wants to go somewhere else) we go somewhere else, like Nick's or Luzzo's (I'm game for Angelo's if anyone else is).

Edited by DanaT (log)

Dont forget the BBQ Block Party is the 11th....

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

When are you available, K?

Right now, my schedule is really variable - auditions have been cropping up at the rate of one or more a week, with very little notice, and I will be in and out of town all summer (two weddings to go to, and I have GOT to get some vacation "me" time in sometime!). For example, as of this morning I was available three nights next week. As of right now, I'm available exactly one, and I think I'm going to lock myself in my bedroom with the ferrets and a bottle of gin and refuse to talk to anyone or answer the phone that night.

So knock yerselves out...and if I can make it, I definitely will!

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Hey I am new to the NYC food group thing. I want to be 'outed' or go on an outing with ya'll. What do I need to do?

Indicate when you are available.

So where are we going? Maybe we should have a vote on that? I'll start off neutral.

Michael aka "Pan"