• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you mean you don't like Merlot?

GordonCooks

The girlfriend of one of my buddies posed this question to me.

"How can you not like merlot if you’re such a wine lover?"

Yes, I don’t really care for merlot; I’ve yet to have a domestic merlot that was exceptional and a Pomerol that was a bargain. Petrus, Le Pin, etc are wonderful wines and I have a case of two of 98 St.Emilions as everyday drinkers. But if push came to shove and I was only allowed 5 varietals to drink – Merlot would not be one of them. The only exceptions to “my” rule are maybe Pahlmeyer, Lewis, and the occasional Leonetti –otherwise, domestic merlot is an annual affair. Where did my parent’s go wrong?

PS – I don’t care for Opus or Quintessa either.

The same reason why I can be a wine lover and despise Chardonnay!

Everyone's tastes are different, that's why!

It is okay to not like a particular wine... The same goes (I suppose) for soda lovers - "how can you like Pepsi, but not Coke?" To me, they are the same but the analogy works.

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

So, what are the five varietels you'd keep?

Also, can we assume that you've tried and dismissed Newton and Duckhorn, two winemakers whose merlots I like a great deal.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Also, can we assume that you've tried and dismissed Newton and Duckhorn, two winemakers whose merlots I like a great deal.

Pinot Noir

Chardonnay

Cabernet Sauvignon

Nebbiolo

Reisling

Man, not including Syrah, Sangiovese, Semillion - I don't think Merlot would make my top ten.

Duckhorn and Newton don't do it for me. I'd buy Newton Claret unfiltered out of a sale bin but that's about it.

The same reason why I can be a wine lover and despise Chardonnay!

Everyone's tastes are different, that's why!

It is okay to not like a particular wine... The same goes (I suppose) for soda lovers - "how can you like Pepsi, but not Coke?" To me, they are the same but the analogy works.

Do you mean you dislike all wines made wih Chardonnay? Or just that stuff that says Chardonnay on the bottle?

beware blanket statements. they'll always come back to bite you on the ass (this one included). have you had rob sinskey's carneros merlot? incredibly elegant wine. how about Melville's Inox chardonnay from the santa rita hills? all stainless steel and crisp fruit. maybe it's better to say "i tend not to like", in which case, i'd agree about both merlot and chardonnay.

Do you mean you dislike all wines made wih Chardonnay? Or just that stuff that says Chardonnay on the bottle?

I dislike California Chardonnays - those that are heavy, buttery, oaky, and dark yellow. I don't recall ever having been offered a California Chardonnay that I appreciated or enjoyed.

And by all accounts, both wineries I work for apparently make darned good ones! (note the word "apparently" as I won't attest to it whatsoever).

I like Chardonnay grapes when made into sparkling wine and Champagne.

Does that help?

I dislike California Chardonnays - those that are heavy, buttery, oaky, and dark yellow. I don't recall ever having been offered a California Chardonnay that I appreciated or enjoyed.

And by all accounts, both wineries I work for apparently make darned good ones! (note the word "apparently" as I won't attest to it whatsoever).

I like Chardonnay grapes when made into sparkling wine and Champagne.

Does that help?

What?, NO Montrachets? Better update your New Year's resolutions

Okay, okay, I confess - I've never HAD a Montrachet!

Up until two or three years ago, I didn't even drink WHITE WINE AT ALL! ('cept bubbly).

I'm trying to fix that and will promptly go get a Montrachet - care to recommend a good producer for me?

I don't recall ever having been offered a California Chardonnay that I appreciated or enjoyed.

Carolyn, don't get the following wrong -- I don't own a bottle of domestic white wine -- but there are some California Chardonnay wines you may be able to stomach. Specifically, you may want to taste Hanzell, Stony Hill, and even Blackjack Ranch. I believe they all use mostly old oak (but BR may use some new).

Again, I don't own any. But I've owned the first two in the past, and get to taste some more on occasion. Nowadays, my chardonnay is all Burgundy (including Chablis) and Champagne.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Okay, okay, I confess - I've never HAD a Montrachet!

Up until two or three years ago, I didn't even drink WHITE WINE AT ALL! ('cept bubbly).

I'm trying to fix that and will promptly go get a Montrachet - care to recommend a good producer for me?

A nice bottle of DRC Le Montrachet should probably only set you back $1500 or so.

I'm on the pavement

Pinot Noir

Chardonnay

Cabernet Sauvignon

Nebbiolo

Reisling

Man, not including Syrah, Sangiovese, Semillion - I don't think Merlot would make my top ten.

Duckhorn and Newton don't do it for me. I'd buy Newton Claret unfiltered out of a sale bin but that's about it.

Well, I'm sure you're still a fine human being. And that leaves more Merlot for the rest of us.

Although, if you find domestic merlot tasteless and the French stuff outrageously priced, I'd suggest that much the same could be said about your first place grape, pinot noir.

To each his own...

I'm on the pavement

Pinot Noir

Chardonnay

Cabernet Sauvignon

Nebbiolo

Reisling

Well, I'm sure you're still a fine human being. And that leaves more Merlot for the rest of us.

Although, if you find domestic merlot tasteless and the French stuff outrageously priced, I'd suggest that much the same could be said about your first place grape, pinot noir.

To each his own...

Yes, tastes will differ.

Please bear in mind that my top five is not domestically limited. I'm sure you'll reconsider the Pinot. Merlot is fine, but I just happen to prefer something bolder.

I loathed California Pinots for years, perhaps because they were so different from and to my taste, dramatically inferior to Burgundies. Lately, though, I've tasted a couple that weren't bad, and may be forced to reconsider. I find red Burgundies to be expensive heartbreakers more often then not, but like a lovesick fool I keep coming back.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

if merlot is not of your choice, yet you are open to try new things there is a mexican combination of merlot and cabernet called chateu camu. soft and full bodied wine. the stigma that mexican wines were too spicy is overturned by this exception. It has the right amount of tannin taste to be in the company of puoltry, meats and game

Gee. all this discussion about Merlot.

I've regarded it as useful mostly as a secondary grape in Medoc, Pomerol, and St. Emilion for blending with Cabernet Sauvignon to add softness, bouquet, and fruit. By itself, it promises to be low in body. But is early to ripe, productive, and ready sooner than Cabernet Sauvignon.

So, apparently some wine growers have yielded to temptation!

So, in California, they use 100% Merlot and go for high sugar, low acid, a lot of fruit and bouquet, and new oak? And, people like it?

People that like 100% Merlot help hold down the prices of Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Cabernet Sauvignon!

What would be the right food and wine to go with

R. Strauss's 'Ein Heldenleben'?

I've regarded it as useful mostly as a secondary grape in Medoc, Pomerol, and St. Emilion for blending with Cabernet Sauvignon to add softness, bouquet, and fruit. By itself, it promises to be low in body. But is early to ripe, productive, and ready sooner than Cabernet Sauvignon.

So, in California, they use 100% Merlot and go for high sugar, low acid, a lot of fruit and bouquet, and new oak? And, people like it?

People that like 100% Merlot help hold down the prices of Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Cabernet Sauvignon!