• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vietnamese Marinated Pork

i enjoy this dish at just about every vietnamese restaurant that i find.  as far as i can tell, it's a standard dish.  however, i can't seem to get it right, and can't find any recipes on the 'net.  it's the one that is served either as a thinly pounded pork chop, or as grilled pork on a skewer (generally wrapped with herbs in lettuce, sometimes with vermicelli).  either way, it's grilled, slightly sweet, and delicious.

i'm guessing it includes:  lemongrass, soy sauce, fish sauce, suger (brown?), garlic, maybe an herb.

but, i'm probably missing one or two elements, and i'm sure my ratios are off (i do it by taste, but not very well apparently!)

if anyone has *any* insight on this, i'd be greatly appreciative.  i'm looking to grill up a pork tenderloin for a large group this saturday.

cheers!

Actually Wondees serves this, its called Moo Ping. She would probably tell you whats in it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Moo Ping is not really the same thing, although I'm sure it's close.  Moo Ping--at least the way Wondee serves it--is little strips of pork, in sauce only (no vegetables, no skewer).

The sauce seems even a bit sweeter than the vietnamese dish.

It's a very good dish though.  Worth having.

tommy, so are you going to both the Korean BBQ place on Rte 1&9 AND Wondees this weekend?  Mrs. tommy must be a truly wonderful person to put up with your er... enthusiasm. :)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Quote: from jhlurie on 10:14 am on Jan. 18, 2002

tommy, so are you going to both the Korean BBQ place on Rte 1&9 AND Wondees this weekend?  Mrs. tommy must be a truly wonderful person to put up with your er... enthusiasm. :)

close:  wondee's and china 46!

mrs. tommy is no stranger to food passion, this i can assure you.

had the moo ping last night at wondees.  it's very similar, but probably not as sweet and salty.  i asked about the marinade, and they were very hesitant to give me specifics.  i got the classic "if we tell you then you will make it at home and not come back", which is just absurd.  

from what i heard, oyster sauce was my missing ingredient.  that makes sense as it's pretty dynamic and rich in flavor.  i'm going to give my own version a whirl tonite:  soy, oyster sauce, sugar, black pepper, lemongrass, maybe some asain "fruit sauce" for and additional element of sweetness, scallion, some ginger, garlic of course.  too much crap ya say?  i'm cooking for a bunch of drunk people who will be drinking Bud from a keg.  chances are they'll eat *anything*.  who knows.    

we see.

(Edited by tommy at 12:42 pm on Jan. 19, 2002)

yes i *loved* the moo ping.  and you were right, that's some hot hot sauce they serve it with.

if anyone cares, the pork i made last night turned out pretty good and went over well.  not an exact duplication of the thai and vietnamese versions, but close enough for hand grenades.