• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

UK Burgundy Buying

Scott

it's very common to dis Burgundy, you know who you are - the stormtroopers are coming :raz: , but it is my contention that not only are they wonderful wines, but sometimes great value as well.

The best bit? the UK is to me, undoubtably the best place in the world to buy Burgundy. Some merchants have relationships with domaine tommy smith going back generations, they get good prices and better allocations.

The wines you read about, can all be obtained fairly easily in the UK, with a little research. At prices that would make our US friends blush at times.

Domaine xyz makes 75 cases of his highly prized and ludicrously priced mazis chambertin, a surprising proportion makes it's way to the UK, because they have always sold it here.

the advantage of bonded warehouses also add to the attraction

Now my point is, who takes advantage of this?

I am sending myself to the poor house in no uncertain fashion with the 2002's, some high end stuff, and lots of charming village wines.

There must be other lemmings out there? time to out yourself...

Edited by Scott (log)

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

A recent email from Alex Riley, as an example

Vincent Girardin

38. 1999 Volnay 1er Cru « Santenots » £22.00 WA: « On the palate this gorgeous wine reveals violets, sweet back cherries, cassis liqueur, in addition to a beguiling freshness. A concentrated wine, it also boasts an extremely long, supple, fruit-filled finish. Drink it over the next 8 years. 89-91 points.”

39. 1999 Pommard 1er Cru “Les Grands Epenots” £28.00 WA: “The virtually black-coloured [Epenots] has an exuberant blackberry and cassis-scented nose. This is a massive, full-bodied, powerful, pure wine. Concentrated layers of blackberries, liquorice, and cassis liqueur can be found in this compelling Pommard. It also has magnificently ripe tannins that can be found in its long and supple finish. 92-93+ points.”

Well you can get the odd bargain if you want to move into slightly more obscure areas, I've just got some Olivier Leflaive Pernand-Vergelesses 2000 from Corney & Barrow for an entirely reasonable £130/case, this particular appelation may not be immediately familiar but Leflaive is a good winemaker and worth a punt. I suspect you wouldn't get this anywhere else but the UK.

Well you can get the odd bargain if you want to move into slightly more obscure areas, I've just got some Olivier Leflaive Pernand-Vergelesses 2000 from Corney & Barrow for an entirely reasonable £130/case, this particular appelation may not be immediately familiar but Leflaive is a good winemaker and worth a punt. I suspect you wouldn't get this anywhere else but the UK.

Olivier Leflaive is a negociant firm and not at all in the same league as Domaine Leflaive.

Mark

Olivier Leflaive is a negociant firm and not at all in the same league as Domaine Leflaive.

True, but you couldn't buy Domaine Leflaive at just over a tenner a bottle. In Burgundy find the negociants you trust.

A good point - it is important to distinguish the two. This can be difficult, because I have seen lists from merchants - who should know enough to be more precise - that don't make clear just which Leflaive business we are talking about.

Having said that, of the small negociants Olivier Leflaive is extremely good, and produces a range of wines which offer very good value. I'm tasting my way through a bunch at the moment.

This is digression from the topic at hand though. Getting back to the original post - buying 2002's in the UK - I must admit that as usual I won't be buying much. It is a personal preference of mine to buy smaller quantities later, rather than six-packs or cases now. Wines can frequently be picked up in the sales, even from very good vintages such as 2002. I recently purchased some 1999s from Mugneret-Gibourg, Simon Bize and Robert Chevillon at nicely reduced prices. But it's just a persoanl preference.

BWs

Chris Kissack

I am sending myself to the poor house in no uncertain fashion with the 2002's, some high end stuff, and lots of charming village wines.

There must be other lemmings out there? time to out yourself...

me too scott - what have you gone for so far?

Gee,

so far

Roumier Bonnes Mares

Roulot Meursault Perrieres

Bachelet Charmes

Bize - Savigny Verglesses (sic)

Bachelet Bourgogne

Chevillon - Vaucrains & Cailles

My fav merchant won't release until sept, when I will get my usual Dugat-py's & JF Mugniers.

I am quite keen at moment on some Amiot Chassagnes, but I am starting to dry up penny wise!

In fact one of the reasons I've been off line so much is that I've been tasting, tasting, tasting - three Burgundy tastings (plus a couple of general portfolio tastings) in nine days - my teeth are purple and my tastebuds are knackered.

The Burgundy 2002 reds are pretty good but the 2002 whites are really special. Overextended, yes - but it's going to be worth it in the long run. Will get a list & post tomorrow. PS Scott I'm a big Chevillon fan too. Yum ! Tasted some Amiot Chassanges last night but without my notes I'm useless...

In fact one of the reasons I've been off line so much is that I've been tasting, tasting, tasting - three Burgundy tastings (plus a couple of general portfolio tastings) in nine days - my teeth are purple and my tastebuds are knackered.

The Burgundy 2002 reds are pretty good but the 2002 whites are really special. Overextended, yes - but it's going to be worth it in the long run. Will get a list & post tomorrow. PS Scott I'm a big Chevillon fan too. Yum ! Tasted some Amiot Chassanges last night but without my notes I'm useless...

I quite agree about the whites, I think the Amiot Chassagne's are stunning in 2002.

I may wish to bathe in the Caillerets

On the whites I find the acidity is really quite fine, and the fruit pure. That said I keep purchasing reds. that lemming thing, still applies.

I think the red's have a real roasted character, lot's of herbs and mocha notes, not very expressive at this stage - but what amazing ripeness.

Personally I see another 1990.

more bachelets and hudellot's today, now I'm going to be eating corks.

more tastings tonight...

Here's the line-up of this year's purchases - pls forgive errant spellings, I'm in a rush but will post more and/or edit anon...

reds: Domaine Hubert de Montille Pommard 1ier Cru "Les Petirolles"

Emmanuel Rouget Vosne Romanee (against my better judgment due to price); Jean Grivot Bourg. Rouge; Echezeaux Confuron-Cotetidot (my favourite of the reds)

whites: Javillier Bourg. Cuvee des Forgets; Dom. Des Forges St Romain Clos Sous le Chateau Monopole; Domaine Laroche les Blanchots GC; J-P et Benoit Drouin 1ier Cru Chablis (unoaked) Vaillon (my second favourite of the whites); St Aubin 1ier Cru Les Chamois; Meurseault Clos du Cromin (my favourite of the whites)