• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bamboo vs. Cork

mklynch

We're in the planning stage of redoing the kitchen. I've always liked cork but am concerned about it's durability in the kitchen.

I saw a photo of a kitchen with both floor and cabinets made of bamboo and am wondering if anyone has experience with it.

Pros and Cons, anyone?

are you sure it's bamboo?

Bamboo laminate is more likely

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Nope. It is real bamboo. Clickety. That is one type.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I have carbonized vertical bamboo throughout my kitchen/dining/living room area. We've only had it for a few months (just moved into a new house) so I can't speak to its long-term durability. There are a couple of dings and dents here and there already, but I imagine any brand new wood floor gets some marks and you just notice them more because it's so new and shiny.

We thought about doing cork, but it made the most sense for us to use one material for the entire living/dining/kitchen space (it's all one long space) and the cork patterns I liked were the really bold ones. I just wasn't sure I'd like the looks of it enough in the long run, although it sure would be a joy to stand on. Plus it was more expensive than the bamboo.

We'll probably do cork in some of the basement when we finish it though.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40