• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Al Dente - I done been tagged...

Al_Dente

So, Uptown did a great topic with food memories. My query is similar. When did you realize you had an interest in food? When did you know you had a certain flair for cooking (if applicable)? Has anyone raved about a dish you made? If so, whom? And why? Were you at all suspicious they were just being kind (I know I have)?

Well, have a great night, and I hope you had a delicious dinner tonight.

Al

I fell in love with food much earlier than with cooking. I was lucky enough as a child to travel a bit and we ate in higher end restaurants quite often. I had my first lobster at 6, my first oysters at 8 (steamed, didn't try raw until 10). This was unusual in your typical WASP family not living on the coast.

My mother cooked the usual meat and veg, and the most daring ethnic dish was spaghetti! But I loved eating in restaurants. She began to teach me the basics of cooking when I was about 8 or so because I was interested in the food.

I began to cook in my teens and that was when I realized that a recipe wasn't always right, that I could trust myself to recreate a taste. Very few complained, and it snowballed from there. I began to recreate dishes I had eaten elsewhere, usually without a recipe. There were some horrid errors until I learned some tricks about combining herbs and spices!

I had my first "dinner party" (4 courses) at 17 and haven't stopped since. A friend of mine became a chef and tutored me at home, with friends and eventually in his restaurants. It became my creative outlet, a way to enjoy time with friends and family, and sure made my SO's happy over the years.

Many times I thought people were just being kind about my abilities, until I received multiple requests for recipes, to cook, or to help them cook when in their homes! :rolleyes:

The highest compliment I have ever received was from the chef friend (on a couple different occasions) that he "couldn't have done it any better, and wouldn't have done anything different"! Perhaps he just likes someone cooking for him! :laugh::laugh:

My apologies if this story was longer than intended! Looking forward to the blog Al/Mike!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

So, Uptown did a great topic with food memories. My query is similar. When did you realize you had an interest in food? When did you know you had a certain flair for cooking (if applicable)? Has anyone raved about a dish you made? If so, whom? And why? Were you at all suspicious they were just being kind (I know I have)?

Well, have a great night, and I hope you had a delicious dinner tonight.

Al

I fell in love with food much earlier than with cooking. I was lucky enough as a child to travel a bit and we ate in higher end restaurants quite often. I had my first lobster at 6, my first oysters at 8 (steamed, didn't try raw until 10). This was unusual in your typical WASP family not living on the coast.

My mother cooked the usual meat and veg, and the most daring ethnic dish was spaghetti! But I loved eating in restaurants. She began to teach me the basics of cooking when I was about 8 or so because I was interested in the food.

I began to cook in my teens and that was when I realized that a recipe wasn't always right, that I could trust myself to recreate a taste. Very few complained, and it snowballed from there. I began to recreate dishes I had eaten elsewhere, usually without a recipe. There were some horrid errors until I learned some tricks about combining herbs and spices!

I had my first "dinner party" (4 courses) at 17 and haven't stopped since. A friend of mine became a chef and tutored me at home, with friends and eventually in his restaurants. It became my creative outlet, a way to enjoy time with friends and family, and sure made my SO's happy over the years.

Many times I thought people were just being kind about my abilities, until I received multiple requests for recipes, to cook, or to help them cook when in their homes! :rolleyes:

The highest compliment I have ever received was from the chef friend (on a couple different occasions) that he "couldn't have done it any better, and wouldn't have done anything different"! Perhaps he just likes someone cooking for him! :laugh::laugh:

My apologies if this story was longer than intended! Looking forward to the blog Al/Mike!

Great stuff. Thanks for that!

Similar experience here with getting to travel a bit and try "exotic" stuff. At least at the time.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Not to be picky or ungrateful Al Michael,

but I think after you, it's time to spread the love.

3 in a row from DC area is enough.

Find someone in an area that hasn't been touched by a blog yet.

Just my opinion though.

Of course, you're already dead though.  Killed when that giant comet hit.

I tried!

Seriously, after putting out an open call (and getting absolutely zero responses), I PMed several members who seemed like great potential bloggers...only to be treated like I had the plague.

Sorry for the DC-centricity. In my defense, little of my own blog had to do with DC specifically. :sad:

The timing of the DC blog hijaking is interesting.

I know you all are probably sick of us by now, but hey, it's DC. Anyone realized that you are getting three points of view of DC and none of them have to do with the government? Then again, foodies with expense accounts in DC can eat well.

Al, what is your specialty?

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Al, what is your specialty?

Hard to say. I've had a number of requests for repeat performances-- this vietnamese beef dish, puttanesca sauce on homemade pasta, timpano, various roasted/grilled whole chicken dishes, I'm all over the place. Plus, I have many requests for my butt:

i116.jpg

My big weak areas are baking, and classic sauces. Otherwise, I ain't exactly chopped liver if I do say so myself.

-- A.B.

Sheesh I really am offended but I'm sure I'll get over it :biggrin::biggrin:

Regards

Tom

Sorry Tom. You're by no means out of the running. I just wanted to open it up to a democratic vote of sorts.

Of course, I could be swayed. I need a vacation. What perks could be provided to me down in Australia if I were to go there for a trip? Just kiddin....

It seems to me there was a recent Aussie on the blog. Am I right?

-- A.B.

Beautiful.

Edit: Oops, we're on a different page now. I meant this -

i116.jpg

Thanks Nick! Yes, many people have admired my butt. I guess I'm just blessed.

:laugh::blink::laugh:

-- A.B.

Sheesh I really am offended but I'm sure I'll get over it  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Regards

Tom

Sorry Tom. You're by no means out of the running. I just wanted to open it up to a democratic vote of sorts.

Of course, I could be swayed. I need a vacation. What perks could be provided to me down in Australia if I were to go there for a trip? Just kiddin....

Lets see Im in the premier wine growing region of Australia, beautiful warm weather, great food :)) And you're right there was a recent Aussie blog from the other side of the country tho...

regards

Tom

I want food and I want it now

I volunteer to be the judge of the butt contest. Of course I would swear to be fair and honest but would need good and proper viewing of the butts to make an informed opinion. I do admire your butt, Al/Mike. :biggrin: Of course, as a woman I'm entitled to be fickle and change my mind unless bribed with the proper incentive. Is the Vietnamese beef dish you make bo luc lac? That could be the right incentive.

Do you know about the Chinese New Year thing we're having in N.J. on Sunday? If you're going to be up in the area and are interested, ask Rachel if there's still room. Short hop across the river for what promises to be a great meal.

I volunteer to be the judge of the butt contest. Of course I would swear to be fair and honest but would need good and proper viewing of the butts to make an informed opinion. I do admire your butt, Al/Mike. :biggrin: Of course, as a woman I'm entitled to be fickle and change my mind unless bribed with the proper incentive. Is the Vietnamese beef dish you make bo luc lac? That could be the right incentive.

Dumpling -- do let me know if you require any judging help! :wub: I fully agree that we're always allowed to change our minds! :biggrin:

Hey Jake thanks. We'll have to consider the judging criteria.

As long as they bribe us with gourmet food..... :wink:

Beautiful.

Edit: Oops, we're on a different page now. I meant this -

i116.jpg

Thanks Nick! Yes, many people have admired my butt. I guess I'm just blessed.

:laugh::blink::laugh:

Mike:

Just for the record, I always thought you had a nice butt... :biggrin:

And did I mention how nice you look today...

Do I win? :laugh:

And definitely try make it to the Chinese New Year's dinner. Quite a few folks road trippin' for that one and several Pig Pickin' Alums all in one place at once. I know I'm looking forward to it.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Actually, I think we had 2 from down under in a row, or really close together.

Misgabi and...?

Michael aka "Pan"

I know you all are probably sick of us by now, but hey, it's DC. Anyone realized that you are getting three points of view of DC and none of them have to do with the government?

Four, if you count mine earlier, and still nothing to do with the government. :smile:

Nice butt, Mike. :biggrin:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

[JEWISH MOTHER] Eat something. Would it hurt you to post about it? [/JEWISH MOTHER]

And, yes, Cusina just blogged from down under, I believe. :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

[JEWISH MOTHER] Eat something. Would it hurt you to post about it? [/JEWISH MOTHER]

Sorry, didn't go into work yet again today cuz of this damn back of mine. Oy.

Since a trip to the grocery store is out of the question, I'll be ordering up a pizza.

Have any favorite combinations? For both types of pizza-- you know what I mean. I don't have a delivery place that can bring me prosciutto with fontina and portobellas. So I think I'll go with my standby "regular ol delivery pizza" combination of pepperoni and black olives.

-- A.B.