• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aquavit

ScorchedPalate

Hi all:

I remember tasting a brand of aquavit back in the last decade called Jubileum, which I never could find again after my first bottle disappeared.

I'm now living in Washington, which (unlike California) has state-controlled liquor stores. As such I can't just walk into Beverages & More and buy a bottle of a different brand of aquavit to see if I like it, and apparently I can't even special-order one unless I want a whole case. Most of the online liquor stores I've found have pretty bare-bones descriptions of their various offerings, so I am wondering if one aquavit is pretty much like another, or if there are perhaps national or regional variations that would help me choose before going to the trouble of having a bottle or two shipped across the country. (Something a long the lines of "Danish aquavit tastes more like savory herbs and Norwegian brands lean toward spicy flavors" or the like.)

Or, alternately, if anyone knows of a not-too-outrageous source for Jubileum that I may have overlooked, that would be terrific.

Thanks,

~Anita Crotty

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

I'm almost positive what you had is made under the Alborg in Denmark by Danish Distillers. Their web page is www.distillers.dk. Jubilaeums is one of 16 varieties of aquavit that they produce. You can (see it and) order it online here:http://www.bevmax.com/sku1797.html.

What in particular was it about the Jubilaeums that you liked? Aquavits have very different flavors depending on the herbs used. One year I was able to have someone bring me a bottle of the Aalborg Julie, their special Christmas blend that is a limited production release. It was delicious, but as we drank it all I can't remember that much about it!

Hal

I'm a bit embarassed to admit that I don't remember what specifically I liked about it (it's probably been 8 years, but something I read on another thread reminded me of it) other than it was spicy without being christmas-y, and dramatically different than any other liquor I'd had.

I'll order a bottle from BevMax and see if I can jog my memory.

Thanks!

~Anita

Aquavit is quite easy to make and can be an interesting endeavor. Aquavit is basically vodka infused with herbs, usually dill, caraway, anise or some combination. I used to keep a bottle in the freezer at all times but have fallen out of the habit. The standard green bottle Aalborg has a much more distinct caraway flavor. My friends much prefer the Norwegian Ligne aquavit, which also nice. Please post a followup on the Jubilaeums if you get it.

Hal

According to the online database for the Washington State Liquor Control board, we carry "AALBORG JUBILAEUMS AKVAVIT" (Brandcode: 968199, price $19.35) here. Unfortunately the only store in the state which has any left is the one on Orcas Island (Store #628, 8368 ORCAS RD, 360-376-6008), and they only had 2 bottles left when the database was last synched.

You can either call the store up, or you can go to your local liquor store and ask them to issue a store transfer.

If you want to search the states liquor store database yourself, you can do that here: http://www.liq.wa.gov/services/brandsearch.asp

It is a -very- handy service, and one of the (few) fringe benefits from having a state-owned liquor monopoly.

-Robert

Robert: Thanks for the URL and the info about store transfers. I already purchased a bottle online from BevMax. (Thanks to our monopoly prices and the fact that I avoided sales tax, it wasn't that much more expensive that it would have been here, even with shipping.)

And yes, Halland, I will be sure to post a follow-up. :)

~Anita