• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Local, hormone free meat source

This past weekend I attended a sustainable farming conference ( I am an organic vegetable grower) and I sat next to a meat producer from Boonsboro, MD at dinner. (Dinner was amazing- but that's another topic....) He sells in Frederick, MD at a market, and has been trying to get into the Dupont market, but that's surprisingly difficult to do- there are waiting lists. He would love to establish a market in DC, so I offered to try to find enough interested people to make the trip down worthwhile for him. If you are interested or have more questions, please email me. Here's a little more info about what he offers and his operation:

The farm is DaKaRoh Farm, located in Boonsboro, MD. It is owned and operated by Danny Rohrer. He raises beef cattle, pork, lamb, goat, chickens and turkeys. He is not certified organic, but his animals are hormone free. His cattle are pastured, then penned and "finished" on grains (corn, soybeans, barley, wheat, Timothy hay) for about two weeks before they are butchered. He believes corn finished cattle have a superior taste to purely grassfed. His chickens are free-range. By law, butchering is done at a USDA certified station.

So- get some very fresh, tasty, hormone free meat and support small-scale local farms!

Squashblossom

As a certified farm market junkie, I'd be willing to schlep to Frederick once and check it out.

Meanwhile has he tried for the Takoma (Park, MD) market? (It too has a waiting list, but it's not nearly as long as Dupont's...and it costs less to vend there too). Also there's tons of new markets in places like Mt Pleasant, Adams-Morgan. There's a market in Rockville and one in Silver Spring, both of which would benefit greatly from a new meat vendor. Has he checked out the Courthouse (Arlington, VA) market, which is one of the largest and busiest in the area? There's a lot more than Dupont around...

Squashblossom, washingtonpost.com normally maintains a list of area farm markets including contact info or websites so your friend can learn more about how to vend. Let us know if he finds any success...I'm not the only farm market junkie around here who'd support this person.