• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Knives: Preferences, Tips, General Care

mamster

dimitri, take them to a knive sharpener. Have her do them and ask her to show you have to use a steel and a stone.

Wusthof also has a ceramic sharpener. But I think it's best to learn steel and stone.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I wouldn't use one so I wouldn't know. I like to know what's happening with the blade so value the feedback each gesture provides.

It all depends on how much and how often you use your knives. I mean, I've chopped 20 lbs of boiled yukon golds to make roasted potatoes this afternoon. In chicken fat and butter with pepper and then some ancho powder and zataar.

Perhaps a machine would be perfect for you. Perhaps not.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

It all comes down to this people. Can you shave with your knife? I can shave with any Japanese knife in my bag. I could never do that with a german made knife. All my knives are balanced perfectly and all have wood handles. Ive converted 3 people at work to buying the knives i have and trust me it didn't take much convincing. So take all those glabals and german things and throw them away. Do yourself a favor and go to korin or korin online and buy a real knife!!!!! :smile:

coop, "Victorinox chef and paring knives. The steel was so hard it was workout to get an edge on them. Not too good." i must say, i never had any problems sharpening my few victorinoxes. maybe different lines? :unsure:

chopjwu12, you can shave with your knife, AND keep an edge when chopping? sounds like fierce knives, surely. :blink:

dimitri, i think most electric sharpeners are way too brutal. eating at your knives with sparks flying. :angry:

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

It all comes down to this people. Can you shave with your knife? I can shave with any Japanese knife in my bag. I could never do that with a german made knife. All my knives are balanced perfectly and all have wood handles. Ive converted 3 people at work to buying the knives i have and trust me it didn't take much convincing. So take all those glabals and german things and throw them away. Do yourself a favor and go to korin or korin online and buy a real knife!!!!! :smile:

I have a knife that I got for sashimi--it seems to be great for that, but the blade seems to run through everything else unvenly. I feel like I have to fight with it to get a straight slice--I have always thought it was because the blade was sharpened on only 1 side. Do I have the wrong type of knife? Can you share some pointers for selecting a good all purpose knife? Are they all made with only 1 side of the blade sharpened?

Thanks!

PS I don't need to shave with it! :biggrin:

Sharpening a knife on a stone is easy. All you need is for someone to show you how. With ten minutes of practice you'll be fine. Perhaps at some point I'll write up a textual description as well, but it's really something best seen in person for the first time. There may be videos too.

It's also fast, especially if you do it often. Once you get into the habit of doing a little sharpening on a stone at frequent intervals you'll never, ever have dull knives.

And of course it's cheap. You buy a stone for twenty or so dollars and it lasts forever.

The machines are also easy. They're fast but not appropriate for frequent use in the same way a stone is. And they're not cheap.

But the two things that I really don't like about the machines are: 1) They choose the edge geometry, not you. You need to like your knives exactly as they grind them, and you need to like every one of your knives the same. Whereas, with a stone, you can choose the blade angle and you can vary it from knife to knife. And 2) They can't sharpen near the bolster, which ultimately limites their utility in such an extreme manner as to make them almost silly.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

At the California Culinary Academy, the tuition pays for a fairly extensive kit, the focus of which is a good range of Wusthof Classic knives. There are some folks in my class that have replaced some knives in their rolls with other knives they prefer - Global, Henckels, and others.

Frankly, I really like the heft and feel of the Wusthof Classic line. The handles are nice and narrow, which lets me get a better grip on the blade (proper chef's grip, as they've taught us). I prefer a heavier knife, only because it reminds me that I am wielding a very sharp instrument and it demands my attention.

And that 12" slicer went through that Thanksgiving turkey like it was butter.

LIKE BUTTAH.

Ahem.

Basically the consensus is buy what feels right to you. The one suggestion I can make is that high-carbon stainless steel is probably the best choice for folks that are afraid of having difficulty sharpening something like the Global knives. HC stainless is easy to sharpen, and keeps an edge quite a while if you care for your tools properly.

There may be videos too.

I found this video: absCover_KnifeCare.gifon the American Bladesmith Society web site.

The description says:

If you collect knives, this video will help you retain the value of your knives. Learn how to sharpen and maintain your knives.

Has anyone seen this? Anyone willing to give it a try and report?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Hey Glenn,

If your interested in a good deal on knives, try Ebay.com. I went there and picked up a Messermeister 10" chefs knife that was 90 dollars at the store. On Ebay it cost me 21 dollars NEW and that included shipping.

Not a bad deal for a German made knife.

John

JTL

Is a Member of PETA..."People Eating Tasty Animals"

Okay back to knives.

So Rachel and I ended up at Chef Central last weekend, and we tried a couple of cool knives out, and chopped up a couple of unlucky russets with them.

So I finally got to handle the Global. Its a frickin cool knife. But I think that being bolsterless and so lightweight, I will probably cut my hand off with it if I slip.

Surprisingly, I liked a new line of Wusthof, the "Culinar" (click)

B00005MEHH.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Anyone have any experience with these? They are way different than the other Wusthofs, for sure.

I also like this 10-inch mother. It seems to be the only other Wusthof chef knife that is bigger than 8 inches. I have big hands so I have no problem handling it but Rachel might have some difficulty.

B00005NCX8.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

ok. Can anybody tell me what the hell the difference is between the previous 10 inch chef knife and THIS one?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...3/egulletcom-20

I mean the only difference I see is a 40 dollar difference. It looks like the same knife.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I also like this 10-inch mother. It seems to be the only other Wusthof chef knife that is bigger than 8 inches. I have big hands so I have no problem handling it but Rachel might have some difficulty.

B00005NCX8.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

My dad got one of these for my mom for her birthday. He has big hands; she doesn't. It took her a few days to get used to the heft and size, but both of them agree that they should have bought one years ago. My mom is actually looking for things to cut up with this beast.

Nothing like mom calling at 4:30 pm -- "hey, honey, need anything chopped or cut for dinner? I can be right over, and after I cut for you, can read stories to the kids..."

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Jason, that Wusthof looks way cool! :cool: Also look extra-deep, which is what I prefer bout Messermeister chef knives (deeper blade for better rocking action). Maybe that's the difference? If you get it, Rachel will certainly get used to it, and like Snowangel's mom, will become addicted (as, of course, will you). The extra heft makes chopping sooooooooooooo much easier.

Jason, if you're stuck on a 10" check out the Wusthof 10" wide. Serious Heavy Steel. Rachel may have trouble lifting it though. :raz:

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

Now THIS is a knife:

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/shop/details.asp?SKU=608

Thats a 14-inch Wusthof HEAVY. Its like a freaking broadsword.

I'm thinking I'd like a 10 inch "wide" in the Culinar series but it dont exist.

Now THIS is a knife:

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/shop/details.asp?SKU=608

Thats a 14-inch Wusthof HEAVY. Its like a freaking broadsword.

I'm thinking I'd like a 10 inch "wide" in the Culinar series but it dont exist.

Geez. My monthly mortage payment (we bought long enough ago...) is not even double the price of this knife. And, my house never needs sharpening!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

jason, "ok. Can anybody tell me what the hell the difference is between the previous 10 inch chef knife and THIS one?"

looks like a carving knife? :unsure:

snowangel, the curvature of the blade on the wusth. 10" "mother" look rather flat near the bolster. can't be good for rocking? :unsure:

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

ok. Can anybody tell me what the hell the difference is between the previous 10 inch chef knife and THIS one?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...3/egulletcom-20

I mean the only difference I see is a 40 dollar difference. It looks like the same knife.

The cheaper one is the standard as opposed to the wide version of the knife...I have the wide one and it serves me very well, providing a little extra heft for bone chopping and a little bit better rocking action, but I'm not sure if the marginal increase in performance is worth the extra $40

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

HNE-S1-G210.jpg

Well, I overdid it. Just got back from Korin and got a Nenox -- I had 2 knives in my hands that were about $100 each. I liked both of them, but then stooopidly I asked to compare it [for the helluvit] to a more high end knife, and guess what I bought. :))

OK, this pony has not been beat to death yet. I was looking in one of my suppliers catalogs today and I notice they have a section on knives. I found some very inexpensive knives by Russell Harrington. The "white handled" series look great for some one who needs to save a buck. Like most commercial ventures. I found a good looking 8" chef's knife for $16. Any one with some experience with the line?

I did order 2-3 knives to have a look see. One of them was a 10" chef jobby for $18 bucks. The two others were designed for sandwich making.

I will report back on my impressions.

Chefvic123

Edited by chefvic123 (log)

• 1 month later...

Korin is a purveyor of serious Japanese knives. They have some of the most respected Japanese makers, whose top knives can cost in excess of $2000!!! Spending several hundred $$ there is no problem.

glenn... that Nenox is lovely. Never tried one before, but I have an Aritsugu and Suisin. Let us know how you find the Nenox. Why did you choose it over the others?

HNE-S1-G210.jpg

Ohhh myyy. :unsure: