• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Knives: Preferences, Tips, General Care

mamster

Oops. I will stick to animals in the future. Seriously, what are peoples views on ceramic "steel" type honing devices. I rushed in to buy a global version about five years ago and was advised by the sales person not to buy them because they were ineffective and libel to shatter if knocked about. I have stuck to my old metal type and that works fine for every day use. Although, once a year I take my knives to be sharped by a pro.

I see all this talk about angles and such and it reminds me that I feel ashamed of my sharpening in general. Is there a correct way or most correct angle to work for?

I like a steep angle, and that's just personal preference. Most pros don't put such a steep angle on their knives, possibly because it's harder to maintain. I don't know. But the way I explain it to people when I'm demonstrating is that you want to act as though you're taking the thinnest possible slices off the stone or steel, er, honing device. So, like, you pretend the stone is a piece of hard salami being held end-up, and you try to shave off slices of it. In terms of actual numbers, we're talking something like 15 degrees I think. Be careful of issues of left- and right-handedness. Symmetry on the two sides is very important both for cutting efficiency and edge longevity.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 1 year later...

I cut up fruit and veggies a few times per week, i.e., lettuce, carrots, bell peppers, spinach, snap peas, corn on the cob, mangoes, apples, oranges, melon, etc. etc. I don't care about dishwasher safe. Thanks!!

Many pro chefs have told me they use these and the balance on them are excellent. We have JA Henckels at home but I intend on getting a Global for my own use soon. They are a bit pricey.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

One of those chefs being Bourdain, if i remember correctly.

Yep, I think so.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Many pro chefs have told me they use these and the balance on them are excellent. We have JA Henckels at home but I intend on getting a Global for my own use soon. They are a bit pricey.

Thanks for the encouraging words on these knives.

A friend presented me a couple and I never even bothered opening them. They looked funny... :shock:

Silly me.

I'm sold. So what's the best place to buy this kinda stuff from? I've bought a few things from cooking.com -- and the 8" Global knife is $80+$10 shipping -- is that my best bet? (God forbid I should spend 3 cents more than I have to.) And knife sharpeners are alien to me -- tell me what I need. Pathetically, glenn.

For about the same money you can get the Wusthof 8" chef with the wide blade. I bought one of these a few weeks ago. The blade is about ½" wider at the bolster--providing extra knuckle clearance. The blade gradually tapers down to a regular chef's knife tip so it minces garlic just like a regular knife. The extra blade area also lets you scrape more off the board at a time. It is well balanced and hefty--just shy of 11oz. It almost makes breaking down a chicken fun.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

Theres certainly nothing wrong with the Wusthof, its a great knife and certainly a lot of traditional kitchens use them. But I've heard so many great things about the globals though, with their vanadium steel construction.

Kitchen knives are very personal things, and thus you shouldnt buy them sight unseen -- you want to go to a really good kitchen store and try out a few, maybe go to a restaurant supply and have a look at a whole line of them. If you dont like the heft of it or arent comfortable using it, it will sit in your drawer and you won't use it. So pick one you like using. Rachel picked up the Henckels several years back, she likes them but I'm not crazy about them. Thats why giving people kitchen knives as gifts is a really shitty idea to begin with.

"Thats why giving people kitchen knives as gifts is a really shitty idea to begin with. "

Not always. A couple of years ago I bought my mother an 8" chef and a parer, both Henkels. I was tired of being recruited to carve whatever was in the oven using the junk she got from QVC. Of course she promptly misplaced them in their original packaging and they were presumed missing forevermore.

On Thursday we took her out for dinner to a lovely buffet so she wouldn't have to cook for Thanksgiving. She invited me over tonight for a Channukah dinner. I went expecting brisket and latkes but what did I find in the damn oven--a freaking turkey! After assessing the progress of the bird with a useless thermo-fork thing with flashing LED's and buzzers that had no reference to the actual temp, I got the bird out breast perfect--thighs slightly underdone (back in the oven with them removed). After forcing everyone to wait while the bird rested I began searching for the Ginzu knife. Lo and behold! I found the Henkels in the back of the overhead cabinet!! A few minutes later both breast halves were off whole--one sliced, wings off, thighs sliced and legs separated.

I fully expect on my next visit they will be MIA again.

Back on topic, Jason is right. Do some research and figure out what you expect the knife to do or not do before plunking down big bucks for one.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

It's worth spending some time here: cookswares.com before making your decision. They provide a lot of information, and are careful to separate their opinions from the facts. (They have a lot of interesting things to say about pots and pans, too.)

Then, as others suggest, spend some time actually using the knives you're interested in.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

you know what global knives are good for?.....

FOR ME TO POOP ON.

They suck. They dont stay sharp very long and they are a pain in the ass to sharpen. Go real japanese from Korin. Im a chef and i use the tojiro line of knives. They are easy to maintain and shine when your doing vegatables and such. Take your globals and throw them out!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I have a couple of Globals which I used for pretty much everything and I'm very happy with them. I was under the mispprehension that sharpening them would be a pain, especially as the ceramic sharpener that Global sells is hugely expensive and you need to be good at judging the angle. But that was before I was introduced to the Shinkansen Global knife sharpener, which costs under $30 (compared to >$100 for the Global ceramic stick). It has two ceramic wheels, requires no skill at all, is specifically designed for Global knives. Amazon link above is e-gullet friendly at $28.99.

B00005OL3L.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

you know what global knives are good for?.....

FOR ME TO POOP ON.

They suck. They dont stay sharp very long and they are a pain in the ass to sharpen. Go real japanese from Korin. Im a chef and i use the tojiro line of knives. They are easy to maintain and shine when your doing vegatables and such. Take your globals and throw them out!!!!!!!

chop: If you want to throw them out, I'll take them.

My vote is also for Global. But I use ones with a slightly wider, rectangular blade - sort of half way to being a cleaver. Great for scooping stuff up off the board. I use these for everything except for really rough jobs, like chopping through chicken on the bone, as the blade is quite fine. For sharpening I use a ceramic steel - Henkel I think.

v

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

JIN!!!!!! :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm in the "Globals are great, but not for me" camp. Love the blades, have that sharpener thingie which works just fine (also the ceramic steel). However, the grip just doesn't cut it for me. (sorry). I'm not willing to put up with blisters everday until I develop enough callous to be able to use them. My general preference is for Messermeister -- nice and heavy, slightly wider blade with a good curve for rocking, bolsterless, one-pice handle, keeps a good edge (and I can use the Global sharpener). But for different uses, I have different knives.

As has already been mentioned, get what you are comfortable holding and using. Never ever buy a knife without feeling it. Even if you have to go somewhere like Williams-Sonoma or Sur la Table -- ask, feel, handle, decide; then actually buy somewhere else. I have had very good service and great prices from Knife Merchant, and I also like the Sanelli knives carried by Broadway Panhandler

Wow, I gotta find that beer.

Thanks everyone for all the great info. I'm ready to to blow my next bunch of paychecks on a nice set and sharpener in the guise of a xmas gift for my wife. As far as trying stuff out, what about JB Prince in nyc? They seem to have great prices also. I've only been there once, but I seem to recall they're pretty friendly.

top 5...

knife fight - the residents

knife's edge - richard thompson

mack the knife - b. darin w/s. plotzkie on spoons

sharpen-up time - new bomb turks

knife/still on fire - aztec camera

For the beer, check the Brazilian stores on West 45th? 46th? Streets -- it's actually from Brazil.

Never been to JB Prince, but since they are mostly for professionals, I expect they will let you hold and heft anything they have in stock.

Have fun. How are you going to make your wife believe it's a present for HER? :hmmm:

I don't care for Global. They're well balanced, very pliable, but I don't trust metal handles not to slip. I just don't.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM