• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Joanne Kates at the Globe

Keith Talent

Alright. We've got a couple people interested. Come on you GTAer's I know you're lurking out there :biggrin: . Does anyone want to take a crack at suggesting a restaurant to visit?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Toronto has always been a dining destination for me. It's diversity, geographical location, and variety of restaurants is on par with just about any city you can come up with. I’ve never read a Kates review so I can’t give an opinion but I have followed James Chatto and Alan Vernon and found their taste to be quite similar to my own. Meals at Susur, The Fifth, North 44, Centro (old), Scaramouche, Chiado, Eigensinn Farm, Avalon, Canoe, Pangaea, Rain, Senses, Mercer St Grill, Mildred Pierce, Bar Italia, JOV, Hiro Sushi, Lai Wah Heen, Hemispheres, Bright Pearl, Barberians, Auberge du Pommier, Courtyard Café, Truffles, Sotto Sotto, Korea House, Monsoon…etc All have been memorable in one way of the other. Fantastic preparation, great local ingredients, superior architecture/design, warm service – etc. Toronto, in my humble opinion, has something for everyone.

edit; grammar

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

Toronto has always been a dining destination for me. It's diversity, geographical location, and variety of restaurants is on par will just about any city you can come up with. I’ve never read a Kates review so I can’t give an opinion but I have followed James Chatto and Alan Vernon and found their taste to be quite similar to my own. Meals at Susur, The Fifth, North 44, Centro (old), Scaramouche, Chiado, Eigensinn Farm, Avalon, Canoe, Pangaea, Rain, Senses, Mercer St Grill, Mildred Pierce, Bar Italia, JOV, Hiro Sushi, Lai Wah Heen, Hemispheres, Bright Pearl, Barberians, Auberge du Pommier, Courtyard Café, Truffles, Sotto Sotto, Korea House, Monsoon…etc All have been memorable in one way of the other. Fantastic preparation, great local ingredients, superior architecture/design, warm service – etc. Toronto, in my humble opinion, has something for everyone.

I agree. And you've mentioned many of my favourite restaurants as well, with the exception of Opus, a personal favourite.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Gordoncooks listed most of the finer restos, however, I was thinking maybe we should tackle Jamie Kennedy's new place for the following reasons:

1) He's one of JK's golden boys and I think she wrote a review in Dec.

2) We can address the grumblings discussed in the Kennedy thread.

3) If we can get a group of us, I'm sure we can try almost all the offerings, since it is a grazing type menu.

4) I haven't been yet. :wink:

Comments?

Gordoncooks listed most of the finer restos, however, I was thinking maybe we should tackle Jamie Kennedy's new place for the following reasons:

1) He's one of JK's golden boys and I think she wrote a review in Dec.

2) We can address the grumblings discussed in the Kennedy thread.

3) If we can get a group of us, I'm sure we can try almost all the offerings, since it is a grazing type menu.

4) I haven't been yet. :wink:

Comments?

I'm gonna be there this saturday for lunch -

Fri Night is Bymark and Sat night is Susur. I'll have to get my hands on a copy of her review.

Although I don't think she goes deep enough in her critiquing, she hits it on the nail 90% of the time (when checked against my experience).

Re:

I think if I was subjected to that many bad experiences, I'd look for work in another field
, I have experienced the same stories that she recounts. It's typical if you dine out a lot. I think like frequent travellers, you're likely to encounter many stories the more you travel.

"I hate people who are not serious about their meals." Oscar Wilde

I don't know why everyone is so on Kates' case when the Toronto Star's food critic is writing the kind of reviews she does. Yes, kates has her favorite Boys whom she loves, but for the most part they are pretty talented chefs. Pataki, on the other hand has no writing style. One could get pretty drunk if you played the old drinking game of having a shot every time she used the word "fishy". I think the Globe and the Post should give their food writers a huge raise and thank their lucky stars they have writers who know how to write, and have food knowledge to boot.

Hear! Hear!

Kates, more often than not, is right on. Hates artifice. loves authentic competence.

I do find Jacob's reviews appeal more to my genuine masculine sensibilities (don't ask me why, perhaps just more my natural voice).

Thanks to both.