• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Joy of Cumin.

MRX

Interesting topic.

I think the first time I noticed how much I really liked cumin was after tasting some Leyden cumin cheese.

Previously, I just hadn't had cumin much on its own (primarily only in commercial chile powder mix, yuck) and wasn't familiar with the wonderful lemony overtones.

Now I love to use it with grilled shrimp and roast pork.

Looking forward to hearing other people's favorite uses...

edited to add that I will definately try the cumin burgers...

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

oooh yes, cumin is GOOD!

- diced tomatoes, garlic, EVOO + cumin, mix together + let sit for half an hour, then toss with steamed green beans.

- Simon Hopkinson's coconut + green chilli relish (blend a block of creamed coconut, green chilli, coriander, garlic, fish sauce, cumin to a chunky sludge - delicious with grilled prawns)

- carrots roasted with garlic, EVOO + cumin

- cheese sable biscuits with cumin seeds on top (fennel also good)

- steam baby leeks, cool + toss in a lemony vinaigrette with honey + cumin + some minutely chopped red chilli. Let sit for about an hour at room temp then sprinkle with feta, black olives, chopped parsley and thin curls of lemon peel. Looks beautiful, tastes even better.

I am going to dredge my monster piece of cod in gram flour, turmeric + cumin tonight before pan frying. thanks for the inspiration!

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Cumin is also one of those spices that loses much of it's special characteristics if ground and stored.

Good point; that was my second epiphany with cumin---no more preground!

The taste was so much better with freshly ground that this experience 'turned the tide' in my spice use. I switched to mainly using whole spices and mashing them in a mortar to order.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I almost always use some cumin with roast pork and quite often with chicken thighs.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I'm with you on cumin in burgers. Other favorite places for cumin.....

Jean-Georges Carrot Confit -- carrots, slow cooked in a mixture of fresh squeezed oj and evoo with cumin seed

Chili!!!!

Yemenite Chicken in Spiced Tomato Sauce - chicken rubbed with a spice mixture of cumin, cardamom, salt, pepper, corriander, and turmeric. Stewed in a tomato sauce loaded with garlic.

Cauliflower curry with tomato and and cumin seed.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Cumin is also one of those spices that loses much of it's special characteristics if ground and stored. There are two types the more common "Cumin" and "Black Cumin", that latter being used in North Indian cooking.

It works very well when mixed with coriander seeds as well.

I love both cumin and black cumin. The black is very delicate and doesn't need to be toasted or ground before using. BTW, toasting is critical to bringing out the essence of cumin and other spices.

Last week I baked bread that included mixed wild and brown rices along with whole cumin and fennel seeds--my new favorite bread! Dense texture without being heavy, very complex earthy flavor. I also like to make pita chips that I spread with cumin seeds, sea salt, paprika and olive oil then toast. Oh yeah... I do toast the seeds before using.

Julie Layne

"...a good little eater."

I second Jinmyo's roast pork, but I also like cumin in my mashed sweet potatoes and yams. Also quite nice with sweet winter squashes like acorn and butterrnut.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I almost always use some cumin with roast pork and quite often with chicken thighs.

Pierre Franey had a great, simple recipe for pork chops: let 'em sit in cumin, rosemary, EVOO and red wine vinegar for a while, then grill rather quickly over charcoal -- a forgotten family favorite that you've just brought back to mind. Thanks.

And absolutely, cumin in chili. Lately I've taken to blooming the freshly ground chile and cumin in oil or fat (is this an Indian technique?); it makes a big difference, even in a long-simmered dish.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I make a spice mixture with ground chipotles, cumin and dried orange peel that's good on most fish and meat.

I will add, though, that although I do like it, it's quite possible to overdo the amount of cumin in any given dish -- it's such a strong flavor that too much will overpower all the other flavors, and it can also become very bitter, with a sort of old gym sock aftertaste.

This Latin Spice Mix has become a staple in my kitchen. I always have a jar of it around. There were several recipes in that Jan 2000 issue of Bon Apetit that I still cook. It was the article on New Latin Cooking or something like that. This spice mix is used in several of the recipes.

edit to add: This recipe for Slow-Roasted Pork with Lime Mojo is what started it all. I am always looking for things to do with pork loin when it goes on sale. This one is a winner and features cumin very nicely.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Roasted cabbage with cumin seed -- sounds like peasant fare but the spice, along with a bit of butter, draws out a wondefully earthy sweetness from the vegetable.

Quarter, core and slice a green or red cabbage in 1/2-inch slices. Place in a buttered baking dish. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of cumin seed, dot with 2 tablespoons butter. Bake at 400, covered, until tender, about 45 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

It's the cabbage I serve to "I really don't like cabbage" people.

Cumin is also one of those spices that loses much of it's special characteristics if ground and stored.

You can get high-quality ground cumin at Indian stores, but you're right: It's certainly stronger freshly-ground. Which is an excellent argument for having a spice grinder around the house.

Michael aka "Pan"

And absolutely, cumin in chili. Lately I've taken to blooming the freshly ground chile and cumin in oil or fat (is this an Indian technique?); it makes a big difference, even in a long-simmered dish.

I do the same exact thing. I find the idea of "frying" the spices is common in indian and middle eastern cuisines.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I have made Huevos del Toro's truly excellent work in Progress Chili. I had never used whole cumin seeds in chili before. They were a nice surprise. They cooked up nice and tender and you sometimes got a "cumin surprise" that was absolutely delightful.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I like cumin, but in small doses.

If you use too much of it, it makes your food and your kitchen smell like the locker room of the Green Bay Packers. Its one of the reasons why I don't usually eat at Indian restaurants, many of them lack finesse in their use of this and other spices.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jason, I guess I have approximately the same feeling about cumin that I have about onions and garlic: Yes, it's possible to have too much cumin, but perhaps not very easy. :biggrin:

And frankly, I love the smell of a good Indian spice store.

Michael aka "Pan"

And frankly, I love the smell of a good Indian spice store.

me too.

and i don't want to hijack the cumin thread, but i feel it's worth mentioning here that cardamom is a pretty awesome smell/taste too. :biggrin:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen