• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bournemouth restaurants

I haven't eaten there, but Hogarth's was featured in a Caterer magazine "year in the life" series a while back. The chef stated he was aiming to win a star, although he hasn't managed it yet.

Haven't tried Clarks either but could be worth a punt.

I have eaten at Bistro On the Beach albeit a couple of years ago. It was Ok but a little way out of town.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Get the Hell out of the town centre. Everywhere is either a chain designed to catch trippers or was a crap hotel restaurant til last year and hasn't updated the menu yet.

Mitchell Tonks original Fishworks is in Christchurch (Couple of miles East of town centre).

There are three other restaurants with pretentions in Christchurch - avoid them all like an angry rash.

Bistro on the Beach, in Southbourne, is an experience (night time re-use of a municipal beachfront tearoom) but can be a challenge on a stormy night in march. On the other hand, as a fisherman, you might appreciate being able to beach cast from the outside tables.

You could always send your mate to see my Mum in Tuckton. Her corned beef, chips and tinned peas is sensational.

Tim Hayward

"Anyone who wants to write about food would do well to stay away from

similes and metaphors, because if you're not careful, expressions like

'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?"

Nora Ephron

fishworks it was, and they were very very happy with my (your) recommendation, so thanks a lot tim :)

still never tried fishworks in bath, it seems very expensive, and the guy in the fishmongers below is one of the most miserable creatures on the planet, so i've never been tempted.

fishworks it was, and they were very very happy with my (your) recommendation, so thanks a lot tim :)

still never tried fishworks in bath, it seems very expensive, and the guy in the fishmongers below is one of the most miserable creatures on the planet, so i've never been tempted.

Big Happy Grin :biggrin:

Tim Hayward

'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?"

Nora Ephron

shame your mum wasn't in, i think my mate called, but just got the answerphone

After your last posting, when I glimpsed your Avatar, I called her straight away to a) check she was still alive and b) get her to hide in the cellar.

You are a truly scary man

Tim Hayward

Nora Ephron

• 2 weeks later...
A friend needs a rec for bournemouth dining, preferably fish, but anything good will suffice, any ideas?

arrrghhh, too late I know, but if your friends find themselves needing fish in the bournemouth area again a swift cab ride to the Ship in Distress in Mudeford would provide a happy alternative.