• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Galicias Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

I find it very interesting and antiintuitive that "the best octopus" is to be found inland. Not being able to confirm or dispute this statement, but taking it at face value, can anyone provide any insight as to why this would be?

On another note, how long is the octopus boiled for and in what?

The traditional recipe for octopus is the pulpo a feira meaning feira Fiesta, because it is the popular dish served on every single local fiesta by the pulpeiras, the women who cook and sell it from town to town.

The octopus needs to be slaped and then boiled in water with potatoes for about 45 minutes, if it is tender it is removed from the water and leave it resting for 15 minutes and then serve it with sparkled paprika, ground sea salt and olive oil.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

... if it is tender it is removed from the water and leave it resting for 15 minutes and then serve it with sparkled paprika, ground sea salt and olive oil.

Rogelio, thank you, but what is sparkled paprika? Is that the same as smoked pimenton?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

... if it is tender it is removed from the water and leave it resting for 15 minutes and then serve it with sparkled paprika, ground sea salt and olive oil.

Rogelio, thank you, but what is sparkled paprika? Is that the same as smoked pimenton?

Sorry, I meant sprinkled.

But anyway, it is pimentón ahumado.

Sorry, I meant sprinkled.

But anyway, it is pimentón ahumado.

Thank you. As one who makes a lot of typos, I should have been able to interpret that. I wasn't sure if it was something I was unfamiliar with.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I find it very interesting and antiintuitive that "the best octopus" is to be found inland. Not being able to confirm or dispute this statement, but taking it at face value, can anyone provide any insight as to why this would be?

On another note, how long is the octopus boiled for and in what?

The story is that the monastery in Carballiño owned the port in Marín, near Pontevedra, and the fishermen from the ría would pay their rent in octopus, which were abundant and not their normal source of income.

Not sure how long the octopus is boiled for - depends on its quality, I dare say - I just boil it until it "pokes" tender, normally at least 20 minutes. For the "feiras", it is boiled in large copper pans.

I was there this year and enjoyed some tasty, but (unsurprisingly) overpriced "polvo" (as they call it Galicia - and Portugal - to the amusement of Spaniards from other parts of the country).

The next night bar-hopping in Ourense was more interesting, with yummy pigs ears and Galician "chicharrones" (appeared to be some part of the stomach??), among other delicacies.

Chloe

"polvo" (as they call it Galicia - and Portugal - to the amusement of Spaniards from other parts of the country).

Actually, in correct Galician octopus is polbo - not nearly as amusing to Castilian speakers as the Portuguese spelling...

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

"polvo" (as they call it Galicia - and Portugal - to the amusement of Spaniards from other parts of the country).

Actually, in correct Galician octopus is polbo - not nearly as amusing to Castilian speakers as the Portuguese spelling...

Oops, that's true. Sorry ...!

Chloe

Hi all. Glad to see the subject of pulpo has sparked some interest. I'm still trying to work out how to quote others, so for the moment, I'll give a general response. Chloe, that was interesting about the story behind why pulpo is popular inland. The only question I had, Rogelio, was about "feira". I was under the impression that it was called pulpo (o polbo) a feira because "feira" means "market" or "fair". The pulpeiros sold the octopus when the market was in town. Sometimes this is once a week, but in most small towns it's once or twice a month. I can verify this when I'm in Lalín (Pontevedra) when there is "feira". The pulpeiros arrive en masse and the copper kettles are busy all morning long. But maybe that's just a coincidence.

Brian Murdock

Madrid, Spain

Teacher/writer

www.murdockmedia.com

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you looking for more information about the fiestas gastrónomicas, here's link to a list of the major fiestas throughout the year. As you can see, hardly an edible item has been left out!

Fiestas Gastronómicas de Galicia

Another fiesta I'd like to highlight is the Fiesta del Cocido, in Lalín, Pontevedra. It is one of the oldest of the fiestas (I think the first was in the 1960s) and it is held the week (Sunday) before Carnaval, usually in February. Anyone who has been deep inside Galicia at that time of year will understand why this is a perfect time to gather and celebrate with a big bowl of cocido, which, by the way, is different from the famous cocido madrileño.

In addition to the big meal, there is also a parade with Brazilian samba dancers to add their own "calor" to the damp and frigid Galician winters!

My daughter Ana has asked me to add a clickable face and this is the one she has chosen: :blink:

Brian Murdock

Madrid, Spain

Teacher/writer

www.murdockmedia.com

• 1 year later...

Planning a trip to Galicia in June 2008, as part of a week in northern Spain along with the Basque country.

Any favorite places that are worth a special trip to get to, to structure a few days in the region? Of course we want to try as many local specialties as possible, shellfish especially, and not particular if it's a simple tapas environment or a formal setting so long as it's good.

Searching with Galicia as a keyword, many of the postings in this forum refer to Galician-style restaurants in other parts of Spain, particularly Madrid

Casa Solla in the outskirts of Pontevedra and Casa Marcelo (there's a review somewhere here in eG) in the very centre of Santiago de Compostela are my current favourites.

Other Highligts are Pepe Vieira in Sanxenxo and Playa Club in La Coruña.