• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shiner Beer in Seattle

i'm not usually a beer guy, but I almost wept with joy when I received word from Columbia Distributing that Shiner Beer was going to be available here. I still remeber my first...Shiner, that is...Mmmmmm....Beer.....

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Never heard of it. Sounds like there is a story about your first "Shiner"...or not? Do you still have rainer(spelling) beer out in WA? I was a young lad of 15 when my family visited relatives in Kelso/Longview. Seems like all the grownups were drinking either rainer or hamms beer. Those were the two big beers out there. Sound correct or do i remember it wrong. Anyways, what is it you like about shiner?

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

Hey AgaCooker ---

SO SORRY That you had to visit Wrongview! I grew up there (we moved up when I was young so Dad could take over a restaurant) and ended up staying. As for Ranier...Yes, Raindog, Olympia, aka Oly ("It's Water) and Schmidt (Get Scmidt Faced) and the infamous Maxx (aka the mushroom brew) were all consumed (probably still are) in "The View". I am so glad that Hart Brewery started in Kalama to rescue us.

Shiner....a smooth amber nectar that both satisfies and refreshes. Not too hoppy, but not water either. God, I can't wait until my next one.

(AND...Get your mind out of the gutter. We're talking food and drink here! :smile:

Fay Jai

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

Never heard of it. Sounds like there is a story about your first "Shiner"...or not? Do you still have rainer(spelling) beer out in WA? I was a young lad of 15 when my family visited relatives in Kelso/Longview. Seems like all the grownups were drinking either rainer or hamms beer. Those were the two big beers out there. Sound correct or do i remember it wrong. Anyways, what is it you like about shiner?

Both Rainier and Hamm's disappeared from the Pacific Northwest many years ago. They were victims of various mergers and acquisitions in the brewery industry. Another very popular local brew, Olympia, is also gone.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Ah yes Olympia, forgot about that one. Couldn't you get oly in the small bottles?

Never seen Shiner here in Minnesota, if i do i'll pick some up to give it a try.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

I grew up near Shiner, Texas. In the early days, the brewery literally had direct lines to people's houses so they had there own tap. Shiner was very small town in the 50's and probably has not changed much, although I have not visited in decades. Shiner Beer went commercial in the 80s and can be found throughout the South/Southwest. Interesting to know it finally made it to the PNW. Must admit I never liked it but I am not a big fan of beer.

I've greatly enjoyed Shiner when in Texas and look forward to cracking open my first Shiner Bock in years right here at home.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

I remember my first Shiner. I visited Austin, TX a little over 6 years ago and asked for a local beer. Now you do have to keep in mind that I was a horrible beer snob at the time since I was living in Seattle and even brewing my own. Here is what I recall thinking about Shiner Bock -

"I'd rather lick the scrotum of mule that just climbed out of the Grand Canyon in August."

Mind you, I'm no longer the beer snob that I used to be and I wouldn't make that choice now if given the opportunity - I would definitely opt for a Shiner Bock. But at the time, that's how I felt.

Good for Shiner, I'm glad their business is growing. Not only to the PacNW (where I'm sure it will only be popular among Texas-ex's) but in Texas where Budweiser rules the land and tries to smash every competitor with ridiculour beer laws.

I grew up near Shiner, Texas. In the early days, the brewery literally had direct lines to people's houses so they had there own tap. Shiner was very small town in the 50's and probably has not changed much, although I have not visited in decades. Shiner Beer went commercial in the 80s and can be found throughout the South/Southwest. Interesting to know it finally made it to the PNW. Must admit I never liked it but I am not a big fan of beer.

When I was drinking beer in college in Texas, nobody wanted Shiner. It was the sort of beer you could get a case of for $3.99 on special. Everybody wanted Coors which had to be driven in from Colorado. Well, everybody except Lyndon who drank Pearl and threw the cans out the window of his limo. I left Texas. Shiner started claiming it was organic or something and then became very popular. Coors came to Texas and lost its luster. Go figure.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

• 4 weeks later...

Whole Foods, Larry's, Albertson's (!) and I heard that Central Market was getting it....AND...It is on Tap at the U-district Pagliacci Pizzeria.

Happy Drinking! :wacko:

Nice....

• 2 months later...

Red Apple in Bridle Trails had it till I killed a case two weeks ago (at a healthy $8.69 a six-pack I might add)...went in last night..no Bock, but had some Blonde.

"I'm not pro-life, I'm not pro-choice. I'm pro-football"

~Kinky Friedman

I lived in Austin in the early 90's, and Shiner Bock was the liquid of choice for a lot of people, including myself. Texas was as far as it got, but I remember the first time I saw it on the shelves in Louisiana.

Shiner has some sort of distribution deal with the same company that imports Corona. I haven't had one in a number of years, so I do not know if there is a difference in quality since they have expanded their distribution.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.