• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anise...Mmmm

jpps1

Oh boy a 47 page menu.

Back to topic:

Seeing places like this (Anise) close is always perplexing in that it there may be other factors (rent hike, hassle, etc) we don't really understand.

I agree that the suburbs and the resulting unease with going "to the city" in terms of driving and parking make it a tough sell. The fact that there isn't the market is kinda off. There are some passable restos in the west island that charge (IMO) a lot for the quality of meals. But they do have the business.

There's a lot of disposable income in the suburbs, you just have to market it well (and provide plenty of convenient parking).

Intersting stats (in french)

Have a look,

500 more restaurants in 2005 compare to 2001 in Montreal.

and also

Du côté des congrès internationaux, Montréal vit actuellement une disette provoquée par les événements du 11 septembre 2001. Comme ce genre de grands événements est planifié cinq ou six ans à l'avance, les attentats terroristes ont enrayé la machine et créé un vide qui aggrave actuellement les difficultés des restaurants haut de gamme.

• 1 month later...

I'd unfortunately missed the thread as I hadn't scoped the page to plan our next Montreal trip yet.

(And I was terribly slack in not writing up our Fall meals in APDC, Anise, and Joe Beef.)

So I'll belatedly ask if anyone has heard what Racha's next project will be?

Anise absolutely changed the way I thought about food. I thought it possibly the finest restaurant in which I had the pleasure of dining - and that's going up against the best of New York and London, against Keller, Ramsay, and (now) Robuchon.

While I look forward to our next trip to Montreal, there is truly not the imperative I would have felt, knowing Anise would have still been there. I'm terribly saddened by the news.

Wow. I can't believe it's gone. I used to know 2 people that went on and on and on about this place. If it was so great, why did it disappear?

That's too bad. Was planning on checking it out during my visit.

why did it disappear? 

It's becasue we're all just a bunch of poutine eaters.

Oh wow! Thanx for posting that [good thing I can read French sans probleme!]. :smile:

I had no idea that the high-end restaurant scene was suffering in Mtl... it's been a few years since I have lived there. I am shocked to read about some of the other restaurant closings on these forums, too, now that I've been researching for places to visit next week.

Thanx again for sharing the article.

I like Francois Chartier, but I wouldn't call him an expert on the fine-dining scene.

Frankly, I find that article completely off base -- no, make that embarrassing.

Yeah, that article is what we call a WTF moment down south......Thanks, LC!