• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Under-represented cuisines

rgruby

OK. We've all heard that TO is supposedly the most ethnically diverse city on the planet. I don't know if this is actually true or not (I've heard Singapore and LA might just overtake us in this department).

Anyhow, it struck me that there are several cuisines that are extremely underrepresented - if not entirely absent - from the restaurant scene here.

A few that spring immediately to mind:

German - are there any purely Germanic restos in the old city of Toronto? I remember a place on Roncesvalles that did German and something else - but I have no idea if it is still there.

Scandinavian - Ikea doesn't count.

Russian - there are lots of folks from the former Soviet states - but few restaurants that I'm aware of (other than the place on Mt. Pleasant).

Large areas of Africa - Sure there's lots of Ethiopean, a few Somali, a few Nigerian and Morrocan places, but I'm not sure that other areas of the continent are represented by restaurants. (There was - maybe still is - a place on Wilson near Dufferin that I never got around to checking out, and I recall a place on the Danforth that advertised "African" food. There's also a place on the Danforth serving South African Indian food). And, outside the downtown core I am less familiar with, especially Scarberia - so I am likely missing out on some places.

Phillipino - Tagalog is one of the ten most spoken languages here, but I don't know of a Philipino restaurant, at least not anywhere near the core.

NZ & Oz, various regional US - Southern/soul food, Hawaiin, etc.

And the above are just a few of the most obvious examples. Spanish? there's a few, but surprisingly few. Thai? - well, there's a thai restaurant on every corner now. I think it's a bylaw - ther must be one Thai restaurant for every Starbucks. But what about Burmese?

So what else are we missing? Of the examples above, have I missed or forgotten about any places, and if so, are they worth checking out?

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Good topic. Restaurants tend to reflect immigration patterns, and there has been next to no immigration from Germany, for instance, since about the 1960s.

It is curious, though, that there are not more Filipino restaurants in Toronto--there is a place called Tamarind on Yonge Street.

Until about 1990 or so there used to be a place at Bay and Bloor called the Danish Food Centre, two restaurants in one, as I recall, one a place that served mostly opened faced sandwiches, which were great, and the Copenhagen Room, a little more upscale places that served full dinners. It was, I think, some sort of offshoot of the Danish consulate and probably subsidized by the Danish government.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Phillipino - Tagalog is one of the ten most spoken languages here, but I don't know of a Philipino restaurant, at least not anywhere near the core.

Maybe you haven't found them because you're spelling Filipino incorrectly. The first site that came up during a google search lists at least six Filipino restaurants in Toronto. I can't say if any of them are good, as I live in Winnipeg (which also has 6 or more Filipino restaurants, and a few other take-out only places), but you can try them and report back. My favourite Filipino breakfast is tocino with two eggs (sunny-side up) and fried rice with garlic. Only $4.50 at most Filipino restaurants in Winnipeg.

Maybe you haven't found them because you're spelling Filipino incorrectly. The first site that came up during a google search lists at least six Filipino restaurants in Toronto. I can't say if any of them are good, as I live in Winnipeg (which also has 6 or more Filipino restaurants, and a few other take-out only places), but you can try them and report back. My favourite Filipino breakfast is tocino with two eggs (sunny-side up) and fried rice with garlic. Only $4.50 at most Filipino restaurants in Winnipeg.

Thanks for the site. Yup, it turns out there are a bunch of Filipino restos in town - most of them far from downtown. But it sounds like a trip up Bathhurst could be in order, as it looks like there's a concentration of restaurants - a couple in the 3300s. I'm guessing Lawrence or Sheppardish??). And, the site lists Mayette's, on the Danforth, as being around since the mid 80s. Also, a Mt. Pinatubo on Dupont.

Anybody tried any of these? Any fave dishes?

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Russian - there are lots of folks from the former Soviet states - but few restaurants that I'm aware of (other than the place on Mt. Pleasant).

There is a large Russian and Jewish population around Finch/Steeles-Bathurst. I am sure you can find some good restaurants there..

Michael

OK. We've all heard that TO is supposedly the most ethnically diverse city on the planet. I don't know if this is actually true or not (I've heard Singapore and LA might just overtake us in this department).

It's true, according to a United Nations formula based on the number of different ethnicities represented in large numbers. My impression, though, is that it's still a roast beef and pork pie kind of place. It also seems to have more American fast food outlets per block in the downtown area than any American city. Montreal may have as good a representation of varied cuisines despite its presumed Francophilia. Looks like a lot of missed opportunities there.

It may well be the case that Toronto has more US fast food outlets downtown than most US cities, but this is likely a reflection of the very pricey rents--few stand-alone operations can afford them.

And while downtown is mostly what visitors to Toronto see, it's not an accurate reflection at all of the city's restaurants. There are now at least four Chinatowns, two of them deep in the burbs, as well as thousands of other restaurants serving the cuisine of dozens of countries. But again, they're mostly in outlying areas.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Not exactly on point, but years ago when visiting Toronto, I stopped at a little Greek restaurant for breakfast. While chatting with the owner who had a substantial Greek accent, I discovered that he had immigrated to Toronto from the same Philadelphia suburb I hads grown up in, working in a restaurant walking distance from my house. So, was he serving Greek food or Pennsylvania food?

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Anyhow, it struck me that there are several cuisines that are extremely underrepresented - if not entirely absent - from the restaurant scene here.

Great question. Same question for Vancouver here: Under-represented cuisines in Vancoouver

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

I have lived in Chicago for 30 years but originally come from Toronto and visit my family there several times a year. (Actually, they live in Scarberia) I am also a food author.

Chicago is like Toronto in many ways: both are sprawling cities on the lake with large and diverse ethnic communities. However, the communities are different. Chicago has huge POlish and Mexican areas where English is rarely spoken. It has large Asian populations but the restaurants aren't so hot. In fact, some Chinese people drive to Toronto for the weekend for some good meals.

In the opinion of my Chinese gourmet friends (who like to rank such things) Toronto may now be the number one city in North America for Chinese food. The restaurants are incredible, especially in the suburbs where the degree of specialization is unlike anything I have seen elsewhere. The overall level is so high that if I lived there I would probably live on Chinese food.

But another terrific asset of Toronto are the Caribbean restaurants, especially in Scarboro. They are almost totally absent in Chicago. Rotis and patties are a must for me when I go there. There are wonderful Trinidadian and Guyanese grocery stores where I stock up on spices, like e roasted cumin powder which I have never seen in India. Stores and restaurants serve great combinations of foods, like "Canadian Chinese, West and East Indian." !!! There are even Sri Lankan restaurants and grocery stores. All this is a gastronomical treasure trove.

In the opinion of my Chinese gourmet friends (who like to rank such things) Toronto may now be the number one city in North America for Chinese food. The restaurants are incredible, especially in the suburbs where the degree of specialization is unlike anything I have seen elsewhere.  The overall level is so high that if I lived there I would probably live on Chinese food.

I've been saying this on eGullet for several years. Yes, the Toronto Chinese restaurants are better than Vancouver & San Francisco(I'm mainly talking about the Chinese satellite towns of Toronto). I still feel many people on eGullet don't believe me.

-Steve

I work a lot with the diplomatic community in Toronto, especially the Taiwan, China and Hong Kong consular offices. One evening after a magnificent repast at a superb place in the "Burbs, I was quite shocked and pleased to hear the rave reviews given by some of these officials. They proclaimed that on an average basis, Toronto would rival Hong Kong in Chinese food quality and preparation. Of course, the BEST of Hong Kong is still unapproachably great. These comments came from people who know a thing or two about fine dining.

How about regional Canadian?

In the U.S. there is no national cuisine, but there are very identifiable regional cuisines such as New England, Southern, Low Country, Cajun/Creole etc. Many are influenced by the immigrants who settled in those regions. All take advantage of the region's bounty.

Are there similar Canadian regional cuisines?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Except for Quebec and Newfoundland, until very recently most of Canada was in the grip of the presbyterian approach to food. Meat and potatoes. Spices and flavourings other than salt and pepper? Don't ask. There are regional nuances, but thank goodness for the immigrants.

How about regional Canadian?

In the U.S. there is no national cuisine, but there are very identifiable regional cuisines such as New England, Southern, Low Country, Cajun/Creole etc.  Many are influenced by the immigrants who settled in those regions.  All take advantage of the region's bounty.

Are there similar Canadian regional cuisines?

Each Province and Territory does have dishes that are specific to them or originated with them. The following menu is what we used for our TransCanada highway tasting at our Canadian Event two years ago.

TOUR OF CANADA

ATLANTIC PROVINCES

Freshly shucked oysters on the half shell with Seawitch sauce and lemon

Bay of Fundy salmon fillets topped with fiddlehead greens

Digby scallops and New Brunswick chanterelles in white wine sauce

Newfoundland rum runners rice pudding

QUEBEC

Traditional French Canadian Toutiere

Confit of Brome Lake duck on baked spaghetti squash

Gaspe shrimp salad with artichoke hearts and dill

Maple sugar pie

ONTARIO

Simco rabbit pie with cranberries

Hot mushroom strudel

Kitchener grilled Okotberfest sausage with a selection of mustards

Sliced tomatoes with Black River cheddar

Meaford apple and cinnamon pie

MANITOBA

Wild rice cakes with Winnipeg Goldeye and sour cream

Tartar smoked goose breast with apricot and apple chutney

Cabbage rolls on paprika sauerkraut

Campfire dry rubbed chicken skewers

Assorted Canadian cheeses with Bannock

SASKATCHEWAN

Cracked wheat salad with tomatoes and lemon

BBQ pork back ribs and corn on the cob

Tossed prairie greens with chanterelle dressing

Saskatoon berry tarts with whipped cream

ALBERTA

Roasted Sirloin of Alberta Angus beef on a silver dollar buns

Yukon gold potato frites, smoked tomato ketchup

Blueberry cheese cake

British Columbia

Leg on lamb roasted to a turn with mint pesto orChoo Chee Pla Salmon braised served with Wasabe Steamed Rice

Crab meat salad in Portobello mushroom cap

Wild asparagus with apple cider vinaigrette

Namaimo bars

Osayoos apricot flan with ice wine sabayon

Northwest Territories & Yukon

Braised Bison served on Yukon Gold Potato Mash & Caramelized Carrots

I haven't included the Native Canadian cusine here which has heavy influences in a lot of Canadian cooking, particularly in the West. :smile:

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Good topic. Restaurants tend to reflect immigration patterns, and there has been next to no immigration from Germany, for instance, since about the 1960s.

It is curious, though, that there are not more Filipino restaurants in Toronto--there is a place called Tamarind on Yonge Street.

Until about 1990 or so there used to be a place at Bay and Bloor called the Danish Food Centre, two restaurants in one, as I recall, one a place that served mostly opened faced sandwiches, which were great, and the Copenhagen Room, a little more upscale places that served full dinners. It was, I think, some sort of offshoot of the Danish consulate and probably subsidized by the Danish government.

Kitchener, ON, while outside of Toronto is predominately German, hence the Octoberfest held there every year :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Speaking of Danish food, in the early 1950s or maybe even the late 40s when I was a very little girl, there was a Danish restaurant in downtown Toronto called Little Denmark. It was perhaps the most exotic restaurant in the city in those days of Toronto the Good (apart from Lychee Gardens and other Chinese restaurants). I remember my parents taking me there on some special occasion; it was dimly lit and seemed the height of high living. They served Danish open face sandwiches, among other things. Does anyone remember it, or any other "foreign" restaurants from those ancient times?

But another terrific asset of Toronto are the Caribbean restaurants, especially in Scarboro. They are almost totally absent in Chicago. Rotis and patties are a must for me when I go there

Good point! We seek out patties on every visit back. Very hard to find good ones here in the San Francisco area.

Note to self, make sure we visit the Real Jerk next visit home.

n the opinion of my Chinese gourmet friends (who like to rank such things) Toronto may now be the number one city in North America for Chinese food. The restaurants are incredible, especially in the suburbs where the degree of specialization is unlike anything I have seen elsewhere. The overall level is so high that if I lived there I would probably live on Chinese food.

Any specific recommendations? Last time we tried a place in the Burbs (Hwy 7 / Yonge if memory is at all accurate) we were the only non-Chinese in the place, good sign always, but had no idea what to order.

Staff was not in any mood to advise, tho I'm not sure they spoke any English. Would love to try again.

For Chinese food, shopping, and an all round fascinating experience, I recommend Pacific Mall at Steels and Kennedy in Markham. It is perhaps the largest Chinese Mall in Canada and contains hundreds of specialty shops along "streets" named after those in Hong Kong. It has two large food courts on the second floor featuring all sorts of inside the mall as well as one outside in a row of stores that I am told is quite good. The whole thing is authentically Chinese (i.e. Hong Kong) but most people speak English.

The following was omitted from my previous message. T

The food courts have many stalls featuring all sorts of specialties, including eel, and there are also at least two restaurants on the second floor. Outside in a row of stores is another restaurant which I am told is quite good.

One of the most under represented restaurants in Toronto is a restaurant that serve quality food at reasonable prices! Or restaurants that give good value at any price.

(I will exclude most Vietnamese and some Chinese Restaurants)

I will not exclude Caribbean restaurants that tend to be quite expensive for what you get if it is any good.

If you think I am wrong Please feel free to provide examples to refute what I am saying.

What is considered a good bargain meal in Toronto? In Chicago, you can get a very satisfying ethnic meal -- Thai, Indian, Polish, Georgian (ex-Soviet), say -- for between $5 and $8 per person, including a soft drink and a shared dessert. This would be $6.50 and $10.40 in Canadian dollars. I only go to Toronto on visits so am not on the lookout for cheap eats as I am in Chicago where we eat out all the time!