• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

good restaurants Oceanside/Fallbrook?

KathyP

Looking for some restaurant recommendations - no chains, of course - in the Oceanside/Fallbrook area. Going out to visit son and D-I-L before he ships back to Iraq and we'd like to take them out to dinner one or two evenings.

Bad news. I grew up in Oceanside and it is a culinary wasteland. Seriously, the BEST food in town is Angelo's hamburgers (oddly, there is one on each end of town - somehow they get people coming in and going out). Grease was invented at this place. The last time I visited my parents, we bought a bag of onion rings on the drive out of town. Shawn placed the bag between his legs for us to gnaw on during the drive. When we got home, we realized the car seat had the humongous grease stain than never went away (thank god I got a new car).

For twenty years, my parents have attested to Anita's Mexican Restaurant at 309 S. Pacific Coast Highway. I never cared for Mexican so it did nothing for me, but I could occasionally choke down an enchilada or two (my dad likes their Rellenos).

I have seen several restaurants opening and closing up on the harbor, but I believe they are all chain restaurants (Monterey Fish Company was there the last time I looked, but it has been a while).

At this time, would you consider a little drive south? There is a restaurant that opened in Encinitas that is getting all the North County buzz. It was in the spot that the now famous Piret's was in and seems to be the destination restaurant for folks in Carlsbad, Vista, and Oceanside. The name escapes me at the moment, but if you are interested in heading out of Fallbrook or Oceanside, I will research it for you.

BTW, some Fallbrook-ians go to Escondido to eat. I lived there for three years when I first got married and don't remember a single redeeming restaurant (although that was some years ago). When I lived in North County, I always drove south for a good meal...

Good luck!

Although I haven't been to this location, I've read there's Boll Weevil 3815 Mission Ave, near El Camino Real.

Boll Weevil is my favorite burger, unique to San Diego.

They're a casual, sit down place.

Ohmygod, I forgot about Boll Weevil! A San Diego institution!

It sounds like KathyP wanted something nicer than a burger joint, but thanks for the jaunt down memory lane for me!

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

Thanks for the suggestions so far although it is disappointing to hear it's such a wasteland. I wouldn't mind a drive to Encinitas if it means good food, Carolyn. As for burger joints, not for dinner, but there is always lunch!

Try the Chart House in Dana Point. You cant go wrong with steak and seafood! You dont get those in Iraq (I was there the first time) and he will really appreciate a good steak. We used to talk about food at night when we were sitting in fox holes out in the dessert...It was funny cause you would thing we would be talking about girls....but it was food!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Meritage Restaurant & Bar

897 S. Coast Highway 101

Encinitas

760-634-3350

From San Diego Magazine

Unique, modern, American faire highlights this upscale, comfortable eatery such as Chicken Linguine with Jalapeno and Prime Rib of Pork with Dijon Mustard Glaze. Full bar. Lunch & Dinner daily. Moderate to Expensive.