• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Fat Kat in Little Ferry

markymark

:smile: Went to Red Kat tonight in Little Ferry, on Main St close to Routes 46 and 17. Tony, the owner-chef came out at the end of the evening. He has been involved at both Cafe Panache in Ramsey and Citrus Grille in Airmont, NY.

The restaurant has been open since September, and will be reviewed in the Record in the next week or two. Food is sort of eclectic American, similar to the menu at Citrus Grille. Most appetizers were salad based, ran from $5-10. We had excellent hanger steak and duck for our main courses, and our friends both raved over the veal medallions. Main courses ran $15-20. Desserts were inventive--$6 each. Service was low-key and flawless. It is BYOB. Tony says he originally expected most customers to come from the Ft Lee/Englewood area-but he is seeing customers from the Pascack Valley towns and as far as Short Hills. Has anyone else been there?

Yes. And it's The Fat Kat. I'll fix the topic title. :biggrin:

Antonio R. Goodman former chef at Citrus Grille and sous chef at Cafe Panache is the owner of Fat Kat, 201 Main St, Little Ferry; BYO. The menu listed crispy vegetable spring rolls with peanut dressing, spicy Chinese mustard and dim sum dipping sauce. The spring rolls were soggy served over greens with a spicy dressing. There wasn't any dipping sauce or Chinese mustard on my plate.

The other appetizer was a warm goat cheese fritter salad with apple-honey thyme vinaigrette. There was nothing special to differentiate this salad from other salads although the presentation was very pretty with a fan of sliced apples decorating the plate.

One entrée was a special of tilapia wrapped with zuccchini and stuffed with crabmeat, eggplant and pesto accompanied by a potato pancake and medley of fresh vegetables. It was very good and the fish was moist. The sliced hanger steak would have been much better without the fricassee of mushrooms, onion, peppers and homemade steak sauce. The sauce drowned the steak. We shared a homemade peanut butter ice cream which I can recommend. With tax and tip the bill was about $72. Phone: 201-814-0234.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I had a chance to finally get to Fat Kat (live in Ridgewood but work in Hackensack) and it was worth the wait! While listening to specials and brousing the menu, a loaf of fresh hot bread arrived with a robust olive oil and dipping sauce (soy based) crisp on the outside, appropriately chewy - and quartered

Unfortunately...drawn in by the chicken special, we all ordered the same entree (long story, points and carbs related don't ask!)

This was a chicken marsala, sort of...the most tender chicken breast, wrapped around wild mushrooms served with an assertive wild mushroom marsala ($17.00) nestled next to slivers of carrots and thinly sliced steamed potatos - lick the plate clean delicious!

Desserts, all home made, included a thin but rich NY cheesecake accompanied by sliced strawberries, an apple struddle, crisp and warm, with plump tart teasures absorbing a scoup of homemade cinnamon ice cream, and a creamy, lucious, warm crusted brulee.

Now then, had this been a another group I was traveling with, and time was not an issue - let me tell you what I saw going to lucky tables... a plate of mozzarella (Tony came to our table and explained how he makes his own Mozzarella) with what appeared to be mixed greens and tomato. (the menu list this as $9.00) and what was described as warm goat cheese fritters, also over mixed greens (listed on the menu for $9.00) another table shared the spring rolls, their aroma lingered at our table (we were near the kitchen door) and I planned my return trip.

Other entrees on the menu were tilapia in rice paper w/ tomato confit and shrimp ($18.) a three cheese eggplant cannelloni ($16) Long Island Duckling w/ jasmine tea and poached fruits/port wine (19.00)

Tony said he has lunch and dinner specials daily (note they are closed Monday and Tuesdays) and he claims to be computer illiterate, however, stated his wife is an avid surfer so perhaps she will come to Egullet (I provided the web site)

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

• 9 months later...

I Love Fat Kat - somewhere on this forum I wrote after my first visit -- and then again when I had them cater part of my Christmas Eve.

Chef/ owner Tony Goodman is from Cafe Panache (Ramsey) --

Dinner will begin with fresh baked bread, An amuse can be anything from Foie Gras, to grilled prawns --

Recently I had a seafood bisque that was outstanding --

I almost always order seafood -- very rarely have room for dessert that always include a homemade icecream of the day

it is a bring your own -- entrees run between $13 -22

My office is in Hackensack, so lunch is ideal -- they make a three baccon wrap that is to die for -- their homemade potato chips are memory making --reservations for dinner seem essential, especially on weekends, but lunch

this is the best kept secret in the area!

Jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

Sorry to dissagree..went to The Fat Kat on Saturday night. I thought the food was just mediocre, bland and an overall letdown. The salads were just passable. I had something on my plate that was supposed to be roquefort cheese but was more like a roquefort pate. The flavor was really bland. Dinners all around were so-so. Very saucy.

It's an adventurous menu but it does not make the grade. The service was sluggish and sloppy. No attention to repouring wine or water. I hate that.

The homemade ice creams were interesting.

However, Tony was a really nice guy!

I Love Fat Kat - somewhere on this forum I wrote after my first visit -- and then again when I had them cater part of my Christmas Eve.

Chef/ owner Tony Goodman is from Cafe Panache (Ramsey) --

Dinner will begin with fresh baked bread, An amuse can be anything from Foie Gras, to grilled prawns --

Recently I had a seafood bisque that was outstanding --

I almost always order seafood -- very rarely have room for dessert that always include a homemade icecream of the day

it is a bring your own -- entrees run between $13 -22

My office is in Hackensack, so lunch is ideal -- they make a three baccon wrap that is to die for -- their homemade potato chips are memory making --reservations for dinner seem essential, especially on weekends, but lunch

this is the best kept secret in the area!

Jan

• 2 months later...

After reading the number of The Fat Kat posts here and seeing how mixed they were, we decided to give it a try on Saturday night.

Upon entering this small, cozy restaurant through a small doorway, we were confronted by very large party of 10-12 people leaving. After some initial confusion (gave our name to a waiter who checked with a person behind the bar who had the reservations book), we were seated at a table for two. Overall, the dining room looks to seat about 20 or so. Its decorated with a few cat pillow, plates, etc. but nothing too overwhelming or kitchy (kitty?). The dining room is semi-divided two rooms with dark wood floors, a fireplace and the mentioned bar on a back wall. We had brought a bottle with us (a nice touch was being told it was BYO when we made the res) and it was promptly opened, though not poured... just left on the table.

We were offered an amuse that consisted of a small disc of chewy pizza dough with sauce and a sprinking of pizza cheese. Nothing outstanding and we hoped that it wasn't an indicator of things to come. Alas, it was.

Bread and small bowls of oil and what looked like balsamic were placed on the table. The bread was fine yet it was puzzling that the oil wasn't really of dipping quality and tasted like a standard olive oil that I would purchase for the purpose of cooking as opposed to a finer oil I would use for a dressing or dipping. Same with the balsamic. Vinegar-y and lacking in that sweet, woody balsamic taste that great balsamics have. I ended up pouring a little of the balsamic into the oil and dipping into the combination of the two which made for a better taste. Spiced up the oil and cut the aciditiy of the vinegar.

The menu looked interesting enough along with the list of daily specials. I started out with the salad and goat cheese fritter and he, the duck streudel mentioned here on Egullet. I thought my salad was great. Let me rephrase that: the salad was a standard mixed green salad, but the goat cheese fritter was terrific... crisp on the outside and the goat cheese interior just warm enough for the cheese to start getting a little melty. And as mentioned by a prior post, the apple garnish was pretty and yummy when eaten with the goat cheese. My partner was underwhelmed by the duck streudel. Nothing special and covered with a juilienned vegetable mix. Later in the meal, the same julienned vegetable mix showed up on his entree. His entree, zucchini wrapped red snapper with shrimp (exactly 2 very small ones) did little to impress and was accompanied by an mystery potato tart? streudel? we couldn't quite figure out what it was and other than having a confirming 'yes this is a starch' taste, it had little taste at all.

My entree was a smoked salmon ravioli with sugar snap peas. I should have suspected something when the waitress brought a spoon "in case I wanted the broth". My observations: 1.) I was hoping it was a home-made ravioli -- it didn't seem to be 2.) The smoked salmon taste was minimal with ricotta being the primary ingredient 3) The bland broth that these ravioli were served with was inappropriate for the dish. A simple butter/oil over fine salmon ravioli would have brought out the flavor. Did I use the spoon to enjoy the broth? No need.

We passed on dessert, as we really didn't want to invest any more time into this dining experience. On a scale of 1-10, The Fat Kat is maybe a 5/6. I would like to note that on the way out, we saw their lunch menu posted on the exterior of the building. It too looked interesting. Perhaps they do a better job with less complicated fare. I would give The Fat Kat another try for lunch, but for dinner, I'm doubtful.

• 5 months later...

Last night, Chef Tony Goodman earned a standing ovation for his five course premier Fall Dinner --

the 7:00 PM seating began with his usual warm quartered bread loaf, served on plank along side an offering of extr virgin olive oil and a side of balsamic --

The first presentation was described as "Crispy stuffed potato pockets with braised short rib of beef served over baby greens, sherry - lingon berry vinaigrette" what arrived were memory making clowds of thinly slice potato stuffed with tender beef, teased by a slight sweet slight tart vinaigrette -- plate licking delicious!

The next course was a homemade cavatelli served with roasted fall veggies in a sage broth -- I personally do not appreciate sage which was not a problem as my husband quickly ate his protion and had no issues devouring my broth -- the cavatelli, tender to the fork, maitained its respect and dignity and was only empowered by the assorted rosted vegetables -- a quick note on how beautiful the colors wre of this fall dish) -- again I think I am alone of the sage issue as the two tables on either side quickly asked for more bread not wanting to miss a drop of the broth!

The third course was a filet of red snapper, flakey and flavorful braised in a fennel and orange tarragon-beurre blanc - --crispy on the outside, a wave of the fennel with tiny portions of fresh orange -- mental note: Christmas Eve Fish dinner...my Sicilian great grandfather would return from the grave for this dish!

Now then, a boneless pork loin was absolutely romanced by a slight tickle of rootbeer glazed apples and a spaetzle sautee!

The night concluded with a linzer-tart tasting, warm pear raspberry almond tart with silk honey lavender ice cream..........

I floated, OK more like rolled home!

Fat Kat is a BYO -- 201 Main Street Little Ferry!

- Elaine Boosler

I beg to differ with your review of the Fat Kat in little ferry , I think it is a New York quality restaurant with new jersey prices.

perhaps there was some confusion upon seating but nonethe less you were seated

with a smile and without waiting.

As for the pouring of your wine , it is a BYOB and part of a Byob is pouring your own wine. There may be multiple bottles of wine at one table and most people prefer to choose and pour according to food choices and personal taste.

next point; there are no wood floors anywhere in the restaurant. pay more attention before you put something in writing, learn how to spell strudel' and let me correct you the "jullienne vegetables" on the duck strudel was a mixed slaw meant to clear the palatte between courses. Maybe what you really need is to become a more educated diner because if you were you would have known that the ravioli is indeed homemade and that the shrimp on the dish you had was a garnish not a main ingredient. please no need to try us for lunch, we prefer the 99%

of our clientel that love coming here to eat.

kimz

oh dear. kimz, if you're really associated with the restaurant, as in the owner, manager, or chef, i'd say that you just lost another potential customer. :rolleyes: and you'd better check your own spelling of "clientel" and "palatte" if you're going to be so hypercritical of spelling. :laugh:

Edited by tommy (log)

I went to this restaurant after being haunted by memories of a dinner at Citrus Grill in Airmont NY where the owner was once the chef. Well the Fatkat is no Citrus Grill. Dinner was fine, dessert was fine, price was fine. None of it gave me a reason to return. Although the "lobster pot pie" from Citrus Grill still gives me tingles.

I think Kim does work there

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I vote that we defuse this lamentable turn in the thread.

I recently ate at Fat Kat and loved it (a review to follow next week maybe). It is obvious that the restaurant and the talented, hardworking chef have their heart in the right place and that New Jersey would benefit from more places like this.

Before piling on:

It is hard not to be offended by Kimzupic's post. Kimzupic, if you work there, say so. If you didn't mean for what you said to come out the way it did, tell us. If you stand by every word, tell us that too.

A little honesty would go a long way right now, and it would benefit everyone if you became a productive contributor of egullet and not just a blind defender of a single establishment.

We can all agree that people are entitled to their opinions, especially about a restaurant, and that lay people may not know or remember exactly what they were served. Most of the people here are foodies but not professional reviewers (although some are). People will get some things wrong. The description of the julienne vegetables wasn't that far off. I understood it. I had the same thing, and I was struggling to describe it. I came up with "a tangle of vegetables and sprouts not unlike Lyle Lovett's hair."

And there's this:

We should also remember that we have no way of knowing that kimzupic is affiliated with the restaurant (although it sure sounds like she is).

I've enjoyed eGullet immensely, mostly because posters don't often kick one another under the table.

~ Ken P.

The description of the julienne vegetables wasn't that far off. I understood it. I had the same thing, and I was struggling to describe it. I came up with "a tangle of vegetables and sprouts not unlike Lyle Lovett's hair."

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

And there's this:

We should also remember that we have no way of knowing that  kimzupic is affiliated with the restaurant (although it sure sounds like she is).

I've enjoyed eGullet immensely, mostly because posters don't often kick one another under the table.

~ Ken P.

Nah, we should attack, attack, attack because, well its just so much fun! And since we're going to be so careful we should keep in mind that occasionally Kim can be a man's name. And furthermore, isn't it easier to believe that a man wrote that post? And finally, aren't we all equally offended by Lou? :biggrin:

oh dear.  kimz, if you're really associated with the restaurant, as in the owner, manager, or chef, i'd say that you just lost another potential customer.  :rolleyes:  and you'd better check your own spelling of "clientel" and "palatte" if you're going to be so hypercritical of spelling. :laugh:

TOUCHE' Tommy you are 100 % right about my mispelling

but it was only to prove a point that it wasn't about the spelling

but about the contents of the critique.

and i refuse to use "smiley faces"

I am an adult :raz:

I vote that we defuse this lamentable turn in the thread.

I recently ate at Fat Kat and loved it (a review to follow next week maybe). It is obvious that the restaurant and the talented, hardworking chef have their heart in the right place and that New Jersey would benefit from more places like this. 

Before piling on:

It is hard not to be offended by Kimzupic's post. Kimzupic, if you work there, say so. If you didn't mean for what you said to come out the way it did, tell us. If you stand by every word, tell us that too.

A little honesty would go a long way right now, and it would benefit everyone if you became a productive contributor of egullet and not just a blind defender of a single establishment.

We can all agree that people are entitled to their opinions, especially about a restaurant, and that lay people may not know or remember exactly what they were served. Most of the people here are foodies but not professional reviewers (although some are). People will get some things wrong. The description of the julienne vegetables wasn't that far off. I understood it. I had the same thing, and I was struggling to describe it. I came up with "a tangle of vegetables and sprouts not unlike Lyle Lovett's hair."

And there's this:

We should also remember that we have no way of knowing that  kimzupic is affiliated with the restaurant (although it sure sounds like she is).

~ Ken P.

thank you ken for using your real name.......that is honest

yes i am the manager and i never meant to offend or alienate anyone i would love everyone to try the restaurant and form their own opinions as opposed to being

lemmings following the first one off the cliff.

Antonio Goodman is a creative and exceptional chef and his food is well worth the

time and effort to give it a try

yes i am the manager

when this is confirmed you should know that Fat Kat was on my list (i literally keep a list), and i will now take it off.

i really thought you might want to make an opinion on your own and not be so hostile. im not trying to be arrogant or a know it all but i think youre losing sight of what e gullet is about. its not about threats as in "you are off the list" its about honesty and if i feel someone made mistakes in the accuracy of their post i should be allowed to correct it. this is my last post and in case no one has noticed no one has posted on this site since may 2005......... excuse me one post in nov.

so if i have stirred the interest of people to engage in lively debates about the culinary arts i am happy. the reason i joined was to try to give some insight to the other side of the coin. in a business that has a 98% fail rate we feel blessed to still be here after 2 years. we all work long and hard hours for one goal and that is to please the customer, we cannot make all the people happy ETC ETC

so try not to be so close minded.

and with this i will leave e gullet

I'm stunned, but, as promised, I will post my thoughts on my recent visit:

Brought two bottles of wine, a split of Pouilly Fuisse for the appetizers (I was anticipating a mozzarella plate of some sort) and a cabernet sauvignon (2002 Alterra) for dinner (I was anticipating hanger steak for me, maybe loin pork for my wife). It's hanger, right? Not hangar? Now that would be a big steak, eh?!

[When choosing wines, do you plan ahead what meal you will order? The wine went better with my dinner than with my wife's, mostly because I knew what I would order but didn't know what she would order. I guess that was a minor gaffe.]

As soon as we walk in, my wife says, "It's so nice. This will be 'our' place!" And it really turned out well.

The chef, Tony Goodman, was our waiter, too. He's a big Mets fan and we chatted him up. Very nice, and of course I find the restaurant business very intriguing.

He started us off with an amuse, a tiny duck strudel under a hairdo of julienne vegetables not unlike Lyle Lovett's (but some might call it a "mixed slaw"). The white wine went well with the appetizers. My wife had a salad and goat cheese fritter (exquisite!!), I had mussels in a red broth (mussels were tiny, so disappointing).

For our entrees, LeAnn chose a scallops and shrimp dish that I didn't pay too much attention to. The cab was prolly too strong for the scallops and shrimp, but at least they were in a rich, red broth. It went perfectly, however, with the hanger steak (exquisite!!), sliced and leaning against a pile of julienne fall vegetables. The dish had a roasted, autumn feel. There was a potatoey starch tart on the side.

For dessert, LeAnn had the crème brûlée. We also sampled three scoops of homemade ice cream: pistachio, lavender and rocky road chocolate.

We don't usually go for appetizers and desserts, because of dieting and fullness, but we wanted to immerse ourselves in the whole experience. The chef made everything himself, he said, except for the bread.

It was very quiet, and we wound up talking to the chef for a large part of the night. It was just a great time. In the moment, with the wine and the food, it was just a terrific escape.

Now that it's the next week, however, and thinking back on the tiny mussels and the potato tart (which tasted like starch but not really like a potato; perhaps it was yucca or something) and the amuse (which I thought had a muted taste but which my wife really liked), I'm not sure how many stars I would have given it if I were a reviewer. At the time, though, I was really loving it.

In all, I loved the chef, I loved the place, I love the idea of it all, and I would definitely go back. The damage with tax, tip and wine was about $114, but as I said, we usually don't each have aps and desserts.

~ Ken

OK, folks, I've just got to take a shot at this, my 'positive service' training chops need the workout, I've been ooc since February, ya' know?

"i really thought you might want to make an opinion on your own and not be so hostile."

Um, YOU'VE been, perhaps unwittingly, hostile.

"im not trying to be arrogant or a know it all but i think youre losing sight of what e gullet is about."

We all can agree, eGullet is not about bashing people with your opinions and hurt feelings, it's about elucidation and dialogue that engenders MORE knowledge and pleasure in our chosen topics. Many professionals are here on eGullet, and the dialogues we have here are more thoughtful and positive than in many other places. eGullet is a great place for someone who wants to please customers! Heck, eGullet is a great place to simply find out what your customers really think of what you're doing.

"its not about threats as in "you are off the list" its about honesty and if i feel someone made mistakes in the accuracy of their post i should be allowed to correct it."

As you state, it is your FEELING that the opinions stated which offend your sensibilities are inaccurate, FEELINGS do not give you complete knowledge, and as such, if you want to be successful as a manager, you do not 'correct' other's opinion in a disdainful and offensive manner, you work to repair poor opinion of your product/service. No one listens to you after you've insulted their opinions, they can't learn anything from you when you've angered them and made them feel that you don't care about their opinions or feelings.

"this is my last post and in case no one has noticed no one has posted on this site since may 2005......... excuse me one post in nov.

so if i have stirred the interest of people to engage in lively debates about the culinary arts i am happy."

All that you have succeeded in doing so far is cause ill will and a reinforcement of the FEELING that all is not what it could be where you are involved.

"the reason i joined was to try to give some insight to the other side of the coin. in a business that has a 98% fail rate we feel blessed to still be here after 2 years. we all work long and hard hours for one goal and that is to please the customer, we cannot make all the people happy ETC ETC

so try not to be so close minded."

I'd like to think that YOU'RE not so much 'close minded' as simply lacking in self awareness. We are many of us 'the other side of the coin' ourselves, you are not offering anything if you can't do it in a positive manner. If you really mean what you are saying about genuinely wanting to "please the customer", then please, read my next bit below.

"and with this i will leave e gullet"

The best, most positive thing that you can do is not to leave, but to apologize sincerely for your offensive beginning and open yourself to a real dialogue with others. There are so many ways to improve the problems mentioned here, and eGullet is not about bashing you, it IS about elucidation and camaraderie. For instance, if you feel that the shrimp were unfairly judged by their small amount, perhaps you can change the menu description of the dish to say "garnished with". I haven't perused the menu, so I can not say with certainty, but I get the idea that some of the problem lies with the way the dishes are described therein. My dear, that is a communication problem, and you DO want to clear those up, I know!That's just a small thing, but there are so many other positive things that you can accomplish by thinking before you speak, or write, and by staying on and really trying to have open dialogue. I hate to see you walk away(from what could be a really educational forum for you and for all of us) just because you've started off with foot in mouth a little, let's find a way for you to start fresh here instead. You could take a deep breath, gather your thoughts, and keep your ultimate goal in mind while you're writing(that's right, pleased customers). Some valid points HAVE been brought up, none of us is perfect, and there is always room for growth when there is room to listen to the customers' opinions. How can you play the game if you don't stay in it? Walking away is like saying that you are inflexible or unable to please those who have a problem with your product, and I'm sure that is not your intention. So, while I do think you've been offensive, it's not a hopeless offense, and you can really do some good here for yourself if you DON'T just leave, but you try to make amends and then start fresh by addressing the issues brought up in a more open minded manner.

Just saw Kape's reply, and wouldn't it be a shame to keep some people from your place by being unkind on eGullet? :smile: BTW, I DO use smilies.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

:blink: geez, did you see that post? Man, can I talk... chatty AND batty, I must be recuperating!(she walks away, muttering, too much time away from the work, need to find a job...) :raz:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Rebecca, well put. Although not as well-winded as you, I certainly enjoyed your post. By the way, if you're looking for employment, I'm always looking to hire people with your thinking. PM me if interested. You can ask around here, they all know me. :unsure: ( A shame they're no screaming, crazy smiley.

Thanks, Lou, I'll have to look Parsipanny up on a map tho', Florida girl still hasn't figured out NJ. :wink: And, BTW, in my house we pronounce Zagat "useless", 'cause us girls try not to cuss.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma