• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Info on matching flavors

helenas

In the l970s, there was a book called The Flavor-Principle Cookbook, by Elisabeth Rozin, that identified certain combinations of ingredients that, according to the author, were responsible for the particular flavors of various ethnic cuisines.  For example, soy sauce plus sake and sugar is the flavor principle for Japanese food.    Combining the flavor principles of two cusines can form the basis of a fusion dish.  The book is probably long out-of-print, but may be available used, if the idea appeals to you.

Thanks for reminding me about "Culinary Artistry," a book I own and loved reading, but have never actually used in the kitchen,  (although I hope that I absorbed some of the ideas.)    

(Edited by Sandra Levine at 7:43 am on Nov. 9, 2001)

Helena, run, don't walk, and buy "The Elements of Taste," by Gray Kunz. It contains a taxonomy of 14 basic tastes then groups them into four categories: tastes that push, pull, punctuate and act as platforms. It's brilliant stuff.

You'll also find that many of the serious French chefs have highly evolved theories of how tastes interact. Do you read French? If so, I bet Steve Klc can recommend a dozen or so books.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

sorry I have been delinquent in posting, but some of you know that the last month has been quite hectic for me--and remains hectic through this weekend at the New York Chocolate Show.  I have mentioned the Kunz book on other threads--and I only wish such an examination of flavor interaction has been written by the French masters.  If one has been translated into English, comparable to Kunz, I am not aware of it.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

• 6 months later...

Ive taken Culinary Artistry as my holy grail also, but soon as I have a few bucks to play with Ill check into Elements of Taste.

Thankee mucho!

By the way...for the NYC people....Community Bookstore at Court and Warren Streets in Brooklyn offers substantial discounts  on books readily available from his network of wholesalers.

• 1 year later...
What are you info sources on matching flavours?

I mean, besides experience and intuition.

So far, the sources i found are two following books:

"Culinary Artistry" by Dornenburg and Page, which i

literally use every day and also a new book "In the sweet kitchen"

Any other sources?

Ive taken Culinary Artistry as my holy grail also, but soon as I have a few bucks to play with Ill check into Elements of Taste.

Thankee mucho!

Reminder: Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page are online for an eGullet Q&A right now.