• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bis Moreno

paul mitchell

I've been out in the sticks for eight months and am looking to try something new in Vancouver.

Has anyone been to Bis Moreno (sp?) and have a review of their experience? Likewise, if you

have any other interesting suggestions of new restaurants I'd be most appreciative.

Paul

I have been to Da Moreno in Prince George. Same chef, smaller city. It really stands out. It has always been amazing. I am looking forward to trying Bis Moreno myself, but I haven't had the opportunity as of yet. But I would recommend going there based on my experiences at Da Moreno.

Went to Bis the other week for dinner. The service was very good with good wine selections. We went on an empty Monday night and chose the Chef's Menu and the Signature menu. Most of it was great but we both felt the mains were a little confused and not very well seasoned (neither of us finished them as we had with every other plate). I've heard that the Pasta Tasting Menu is to die for. I'm sure I'll catch an earful for saying something negative about it cause as far as I know, I am the first to do it. Don't forget that I DID say most of it was great.

As for other suggestions... FICTION Tapas and Wine Bar on W. Broadway. Am I crazy, you wonder?

No. This reataurant has recently expanded with an elegant, warm and stylish room. There is even a fire place. Chef Kris Barnholden (previously of Lucy Mae Brown) is cooking up a fantastic menu. You can check it out at Let's Go For Dinner. There are Small plates and Mains as well as Charcuterie plate options. You can also do "Tastes" -$3.75 for oneor $10.00 for three. How cool is that?

Some fantastic stuff I've tried so far: Ahi Tuna Nicoise, Roast Pumpkin and Goat Cheese Cannelloni, Fois Gras...mmmmmmmm, Citrus Dusted Spring Water Trout.

Okay, I've just convinced myself to go back tonight. Fiction is also totally affordable, you don't have to wait for your tax return for this one.

Oh yeah, talk to the managers for wine suggestions, knowledgable and lots to choose from. I know nada of scotch but they sure do...

There is hig demand for this place and they do not take resos, so have a martini while you wait for your table.

I'm also a big fan of Parkside Restaurant. Every experience has been great (especially b-day dinner, my stepmother declared that she was so satisfied she could hapilly die right there and then). Wine : 60 under $60. Food: 20 under $20, rustic elegance. Serivce is absolutely impeccable and friendly.

If you have time check these places out.

Anyone else been to the new incarnation of Fiction?

Happy eating!!

Bis Moreno was just featured on Food Network Canada tonight. On "Chef at Large", Michael Smith accompanied Vancouver critic Jamie Maw on a review of Bis Moreno (have no idea when the review actually occurred). Michael Smith provided a running commentary on the review process, and talked with the Chef before, during and after the review.

Jamie Maw dined on a Friday night, their busiest night ever (likely not too long after opening). In general he provided high marks for the food (especially the soup and pasta), but service was slow. He plans to review them two more times before actually publishing the review. All-in-all, it was a very positive review. It looks like a nice place, too.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Bis Moreno was just featured on Food Network Canada tonight.  On "Chef at Large", Michael Smith accompanied Vancouver critic Jamie Maw on a review of Bis Moreno (have no idea when the review actually occurred). 

Jamie Maw.... Vancouver Magazine. click here

Good timing, I ate there on Saturday night. There was four of us and we all had the Signature menu along with the accompanying wine.

I'm irked, because at this point the only conversation we should be having is how good the food is, and it is very, very good, as is the service. The problem was the portion sizes. Small is one thing, leave me wanting more, sure. But, the portions at Bis Moreno were almost a parody of haute cuisine. One tiny little scallop on a giant white plate.

Pasta course wasthree lobster ravioli, fish course one (smallish) scallop sitting on roast root vegatables, and the scallop hid the veg underneath, Main was Braised brisket of Bison, which was perhaps the size of a business card, and the men received larger pieces of meat than the ladies. Then, the most laughable aspect, the cheese course. Twelve dollar supplement, if there was sum total of one ounce of cheese on the plate, I'd be astonished. Three types per plate, everyone received different cheeses, some local, some Italian all excellent. In terms of volume, a Kraft Single slice would tilt the scales if weighed against the Bis Moreno cheese course.

Desert was excellent and an appropriate portion size.

The wine flight was very well matched, all the wines (including two from BC!) were excellent. The problem again was the portion size. Two, maybe three ounces per glass. Enjoy that first sip, becuase there isn't much coming after it. And whatever youdo, don't touch your glass until the course is served, or you will have nothing to drink. The thing I don't understand is their wine menu was very reasonably priced, an average markup of double retail, a refreshing rarity in my opinion. So if you rae going to be so reasonable in bottle pricing, why so stingey with what is essentially a wine by the glass sale? The wine flight was 45 bucks, for five courses. Nine bucks a course, I assure you, nothing that was poured was so rare or exclusive or expensive that to give you less than 5-6 ounces would be only fair.

As I said, I'm disappointed to have to vent these petty bitches, because the food is so extraordinarly good. West and Lumiere can move over and make room on the heavy hitters bench for a third. But, with the biggest problem of the restaurant so easily fixed, it's a shame that I need to express grave reservations. It's not like the ingredients are so rare or expensive to justify the tiny portions, they're not, the cost of putting three scallops on a plate oppsed to one will result in a drop in net profit of about what? A tenth of a percent on a six hundred dollar cheque? And all I would have to say would be glowing praise. It's a shame really.

We dined at Bis Moreno on the Friday evening after the New Year and came away with reservations. As noted in the earlier post, portions were minimal. Some of the offerings in our five course meal were quite good, others just ok. I was epecially disappointed by the pastas, as we had been expecting something quite extraordinary. Perhaps what struck me most was the relative fusiness of the food, which contrasts with what is happening in other food destinations (especially in NYC) where the focus is on the ingredients and earthiness of the Italian cooking -- taking guidance from places like Piemonte and Emilia Romagna. On the whole, I think the Vancouver dining scene is doing better when the model is French or "West Coast" a la Lumiere and West.

In the 'Chefs at Large' episode, featuring restaurant critic Jamie Maw on a review of Bis Moreno, it was mentioned by host Michael Smith, that Jamie also didn't like the small portion size of the dishes. So the Bis Moreno people must be aware of this criticism. I'm surprised they haven't rectified this problem(are they so cheap!!).

-Steve

Edited by SteveW (log)

Dined there in early December and both my wife and I had the pasta tasting menu which both of found to be outstanding. As a side, for us the portions were perfect, after a 7 course pasta menu we were perfectly sated, and able to walk back to our hotel without being in pain. I would recommend it very easily, and also a decent value. There may be more of an issue with the non pasta portion sizes, but I can't comment on those menus. Definitely worth a visit!!

We have been to Biz Moreno twice, and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It is dining at it's finest, from the service and understated decor to the highest quality food beautifully presented. The portions are small but I agree with another poster that at the end of the evening we, at least, have felt pleasantly full. We are, however, in our 50's and don't eat as much as we used to. We have enjoyed all three tasting menus. They offer the flexibility of substituting any item from the menu of your choice for any item from the other two menus, so you can truly customize your order. Of the many fine restauants we have enjoyed over many years in Seattle and Vancouver this rates amongst our favorites.

• 7 months later...

I haven't eaten there recently - but my dad and I ate there just before I left Vancouver - I agree with the comment above that portion size (wine & food) was a problem, but that the food was excellent. A complaint I made at the time related to the service - our wine waiter ignored me, speaking only to my dad - we were both drinking, and I'm well over the age of 19 - which was a shame, because although I'm *only* female, I was interested in having an aperitif & an after dinner drink (the selection of grappa was very good). The treatment left a very sour taste in my mouth - and is the sort of dinosaur, chauvinistic service I do NOT expect in Vancouver. Which is a shame, because the food was excellent.

I took my husband there for his birthday in June and we did not find the meal that memorable, it was if the dishes were under seasoned, nothing stood out except for the chocolate dessert - I really did not enjoy milk chocolate with real truffle. I found it too pungent and it erased anything pleasant from our meal.

• 1 month later...

We were there last year a month after it had opened, and the pasta menu was extremely inventive. Each dish was perfect, although 2 wine matches didn't go that well. The service is a bit too pompous for the environment, nonetheless attentive. The portions are normally small- it's a tasting menu.

Overall, a very good value, considering the wine flight includes also a sweet wine with desert which would sell at $11 separately. The only minor complaint we had is that the poached pear desert was awful- they had the wrong type of pears- they were tasteless.

We're going back soon.

"I hate people who are not serious about their meals." Oscar Wilde

We were there last year a month after it had opened, and the pasta menu was extremely inventive. Each dish was perfect, although 2 wine matches didn't go that well. The service is a bit too pompous for the environment, nonetheless attentive. The portions are normally small- it's a tasting menu. . . .

We're going back soon.

Explorer,

FYI,

Here's a rather breathless review of Bis Moreno that we ran in conjunction with a Chef at Large (Michael Smith) installment on FNC.

Jamie

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"