• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Leeks

helenas

yesterday we dicovered that chinese leeks make an excellent filling for meat boxes - we had a similar dish called chive box in some restuarant and then found a recipe in Chinese Gourmet book - the filling of beef/pork fat and a lot of minced leeks stuffed bw two round wonton skins like a big ravioli and pan-fried in potsticker manner; we served it with dipping sauce of young shredded ginger, black vinegar and thin soy sauce. Excellent taste and beatiful to look at: like a flower with a golden-brown center and off white petals.

yesterday we dicovered that chinese leeks make an excellent filling for meat boxes - we had a similar dish called chive box in some restuarant and then found a recipe in Chinese Gourmet book - the filling of beef/pork fat and a lot of minced leeks stuffed bw two round wonton skins like a big ravioli and pan-fried in potsticker manner; we served it with dipping sauce of young shredded ginger, black vinegar and thin soy sauce. Excellent taste and beatiful to look at: like a flower with a golden-brown  center and off white petals.

I absolutely those chive boxes! (韭菜盒子- jiu cai hezi) Did it have bean thread and scrambled egg in it?

"Chinese Gourmet" -- Do you have the author?

I found this link by google:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lynnintokyo/2.../in/set-494691/

"Chinese Gourmet" -- Do you have the author?

William Mark - excellent book, with quite a few of unusual recipes.

Thanks! I do have it. AAMOF, it was given to me by a dear e-Gullet friend. ( had it on another shelf with my oversized Chinese books) Great recipes, lots of information, nice photos of the food and charming everyday people.

The recipe wasn't what I was thinking of, tho. But, since it has chives in it, I MUST make them!