• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mandolines

mamster

I'm partial to the Börner V-7000WH VPower V-Slicer which I've had for years. I find the geometry of a "v" blade gives me easy cutting with less effort/force. Aside from the usual things I find it slices salami types of meats quite nicely. Expensive but worth it.

p

Just now, palo said:

I'm partial to the Börner V-7000WH VPower V-Slicer which I've had for years. I find the geometry of a "v" blade gives me easy cutting with less effort/force. Aside from the usual things I find it slices salami types of meats quite nicely. Expensive but worth it.

p

That's funny, and goes to show why we're lucky to have choices. :) When I tried a V-slicer (don't remember the brand..Oxo, maybe?) I found the apex of the V to be a pinch point. Stuff jammed in there. I took it back.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I have the full size OXO version.  it works splendidly.

it does have an advantage - the blade slide outs, on can hone/polish/sharpen the blade.

one can indeed mangle one's finger tips - this I find is due to the desire to use the 'item' to the last mm/slice/0.001th degree.

I have learned . . . . there is a certain rather minor amount of waste one must accept when rapidly passing one's fingers over a razor sharp edge.

enough is enough.  insisting on pushing it further-further-to the- max..... and you get blood.

just did a batch of cuke & onion 'salat"

common sense applies

DSC_0044.JPG

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

I succumbed to  Benriner Super Slicer mandoline.

41TN3i4wyCL._AC_.jpg

Noting that it was top rated by CI as being extremely sharp.  My old mandoline gave me badly damaged knuckle when slicing rutabaga (while wearing a no-cut glove). 

Note that the price has nearly doubled! from the time it was reviewed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I bought a new pair of cut-resistant gloves (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) a couple of months ago and am very happy with them.  They come in sizes down to X-small (what I got) and provide so much more dexterity than the bulky kevlar ones that had at least an inch of empty space at the end of each finger.  I'm still very careful and push small pieces through with the next larger one or use the pusher.  If you really plow your hand into a blade with a lot of force, I can't say it will protect any better than the ones that failed @lindag but the improvement in dexterity seems to help me be aware of where my fingers actually are so I thought I'd pass it on in case anyone else with small hands struggles with bulky gloves for this purpose. 

On 7/21/2019 at 8:22 PM, Kim Shook said:

What I'd love to find is something that I keep hearing I should be able to find in any Asian shop that sells kitchen supplies and haven't yet - I want a small, fixed blade slicer that would slice very, very thin slices of things about as wide as a cucumber and radish.  I slice both of them almost daily and I especially love paper thin radish slices.   

I realize this is an old post/question but this is where the topic opened for me this morn. I had 2. One in garage and I canlt reach it. The other I kept in a kitchen drawer until "she who shall not be named" borrowed it and cracked it (how?!?). Both were from Japanese "dollar" stores like Daiso. One side has rough round holes perfect for ginger grating. 

• Sad 1

I have the old style fixed-blade Microplane v-slicer. A sturdy workhorse.

I have a kevlar glove that I never use unless there are annoying distractions (not Henry) going on where I'm slicing.

Edited by gfweb (log)

22 minutes ago, heidih said:

I realize this is an old post/question but this is where the topic opened for me this morn. I had 2. One in garage and I canlt reach it. The other I kept in a kitchen drawer until "she who shall not be named" borrowed it and cracked it (how?!?). Both were from Japanese "dollar" stores like Daiso. One side has rough round holes perfect for ginger grating. 

You know I finally did find one.  And it turned out too thin slices.  😄  They were so incredibly thin that they were actually floppy and not crisp anymore.

5 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

You know I finally did find one.  And it turned out too thin slices.  😄  They were so incredibly thin that they were actually floppy and not crisp anymore.

My now gone FIL liked that aspect and had me take him to buy one. Different strokes ;)

• Haha 1