• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking from the Pantry (merged)

Malawry

[someone please explain "half and half". Oh! our several countries divided by an uncommon culinary language ...]

In my commonwealth country :wink: it's 10% fat content. I assume it's supposed to mean 1/2 milk, 1/2 cream .

[someone please explain "half and half". Oh! our several countries divided by an uncommon culinary language ...]

In my commonwealth country :wink: it's 10% fat content. I assume it's supposed to mean 1/2 milk, 1/2 cream .

Half milk / half cream would be more than 10% fat, wouldn't it?

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

That's something I've always wondered too.

I was thinking that as I typed it! I guess it depends on what % of milk and cream you're talking about. My 1/2 and 1/2 would be more like 16%!

But it's the basic idea.

I use it a lot in soups - or to make a lighter cream sauce.

My "half-and-half" is more than 50% fat content :shock:

I like the mac-n-cheese idea since the kids love it. My husband wants corn chowder.

I wonder how it would do in a creme brulee? Do you think there's enough fat in it for that?

Last night's from the pantry meal was salade nicoise with a can of tuna in oik that I bought in Spain two summers ago, plus capers and cornichons, more of the beautiful CSA eggs hard boiled.

My "half-and-half" is more than 50% fat content  :shock:

I like the mac-n-cheese idea since the kids love it.  My husband wants corn chowder. 

I wonder how it would do in a creme brulee?  Do you think there's enough fat in it for that?

The fat content of heavy whipping cream is 36-40% so a cream with 50% fat content would surely be ok. Another nice idea would be panna cotta or ice cream.

I have some more corn and a little bit of cream at home too, so I may be making a corn chowder myself. Thanks for the idea!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

The mac-n-cheese comments inspired tonight's dinner. A gruyere mac-n-cheese with a bit of andouille. The gruyere was left over from my onion soup the other night. We also sauteed up a bit of chard and baby bok choy, and steamed a bit of carrots (all CSA stuff).

Lunch was a cleanout meal too. Chili dogs. We'd bought the dogs a few weeks ago for a party and I'd forgotten to put the leftover pack in the freezer, and we had to beat that expiration date! I know, much less exciting.

In my quest to get-through-the-greens, I cooked some greens from last week's farmers' market run. I can't remember what they are. Something like collards but milder. Anyway, I was thinking of doing a spanakopita kind of thing, but I'm not convinced. I'd have to buy phyllo dough (and no, I'm not going to make my own :wink: ). Any suggestions?

Also have two split chicken breasts defrosting...

And I still haven't used the beets. May do something similar to Mizducky's salad and incorporate the greens.

Tuesday we get our first summer season CSA box, so I hope to have cleared out all the spring season produce by then!

Bridget Avila

My Blog

Bavila:

For some reason, I seem to recall that you expressed hesitancy about cooking beets and especially their greens before. We all nudged with advice, but you said you already threw out the greens. You bought again. The following is offered to encourage you to fish in this pond:

The internal search engine for eG does not handle short words (4 characters or less). However, I do find that searching this forum usually provides as many ideas as I'll find elsewhere with the exception perhaps of epicurious.com.

To overcome the taste for polysyllabic words here, just go to the Advanced Search page for google and specify egullet.org as the domain you prefer.

TA

DAAA...

..AAH!!!

Report back, please. :biggrin: Since I have some in the fridge, too, I'll pipe up once you do.

FYI When I google things in eGullet, I find the format switches from Standard to Outline (see blue line above first post). If that happens, just click "Standard."

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

No one should forget about the deep freezer.  It is not a safe deposit box, and the stuff should be used.  NOW.

I'd like to second this. Or you could end up with an 18 lb block of ice that used to be a turkey three years ago sitting at the bottom.

Don't ask how I know.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

No one should forget about the deep freezer.  It is not a safe deposit box, and the stuff should be used.  NOW.

I'd like to second this. Or you could end up with an 18 lb block of ice that used to be a turkey three years ago sitting at the bottom.

Don't ask how I know.

Marcia.

Just ask me what a top for one's wedding cake looks like after almost 20 years!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Don't ask how I know.

Marcia.

Just ask me what a top for one's wedding cake looks like after almost 20 years!

Maybe we could all post photos of the lumpy frozen bits lurking at the bottom of our freezers, and everyone could try to identify them, thus saving us the anxiety of thawing them out and finding something we then have to deal with.

Happy Feasting

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

You mean, like when you thaw blackberries to have with your joghurt for breakfast, only to find out it was braised red cabbage (I am really, really bad at labelling stuff  :wacko: )

Yes, dont you hate the flavour of red cabbage with yoghurt (when you were expecting blackberries)

See- we do need that competition, someone might have recognised it and warned you.

Happy Feasting

My namesake, a sixteenth-century Florentine, was known not only for his painting, but also his diary. Romantics claim it as evidence for the belief that artists are weirdoes, born with souls different from the practical, straight-laced types found deep within bankers and brokers. For a period of time Pontormo recorded little more than everything he cooked and ate and everything he cooked and ate tended to be the same thing: a fried egg and bacon over greens. Sounds good to me, actually; you'll find there is a salad named after him based on this formula.

In his spirit, I could post in the Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner threads. Instead, I started an inventory this past weekend. Such information, like the details of our dreams, may be of interest only to ourselves. However, I thought I might post it here since I began the list before I went shopping for this week's food, replacing staples, but otherwise, purchasing only produce and dairy products, with the intention of clearing out freezer and shelves.

PRODUCE: Beet greens, Butterleaf lettuce, Mesclun, Beets, Carrot, Celery, Cucumbers (2), Snap peas (ditto), Summer squash, Radishes, Scallions, Chili peppers, Ginger root, Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, Mint, Oregano, Tarragon.

Garlic, Shallots, Vidalia onions, Russet and Yukon potatoes

Apples, Orange, Banana, Blueberries, Cantaloupe, Cherries, GA Peaches, Lemons & Lime

DAIRY PLUS: Milks (whole & skim), Yogurts (plain NF & 3-4 oz. Fago Total), Mozzarella (2), Parm, Romano (2), Cacio, Fiore di Sardo, Montasio, Pantaleon, Gruyere, Friulian goat cheese (hard). Butter. Eggs (6).

MISC: Olives, Capers, Cornichons, Sun-dried tomatoes, Anchovies, Mustard, Ketchup, Relish, Mayo, Chili-bean paste, Vietnamese chili garlic sauce, Bean paste (sweet), Plum sauce, Fig preserves, PB, Blueberry jam, Raspberry preserves, Raw peanuts, Sesame seeds, Poppy seeds, Yeast, Miso, Whole wheat & All-purpose flour, Cornmeal, Tahini, Walnut oil, Shortening, Maple Syrup, Chili-orange oil, Apricot chutney, Pomegranate molasses, Marsala, Beer (1).

FREEZER: Bacon, Cured pig jowl, Pancetta, Ground pork ( ¼ #), Ground lamb ( ¾ #), Hot dog, Chicken Marengo (1, no shrimp), Chicken stock, Ligurian artichoke, Lombardian zucca & Sardinian chard ravioli, Asian peanut sauce (for summer rolls 8/05), HD Mayan Chocolate, Chinese green noodles, Pine nuts, Sumac, Chickpea flour, Buckwheat, Whole wheat bread, Pizza dough, Rhubarb cake (1), Corn, Peas, Leek greens, Cheese rinds, Tomato paste in T globs, Pesto cubes, Kaffir Lime Leaves, Reduced cider ( ¼ cup), Cranberries, Bananas (7), Blueberries.

LEFTOVERS & NEWLY PREPPED: Lentil salad, Herbed chèvres, ½ cup salsa, Rhubarb-ginger preserves, Pesto. OJ & Strawberry lemonade. ¼ red onion & lemon. Tomato sauce (1 ½ cups), roasted beet, soup.

CUPBOARDS: Lentils (Le Puy, Beluga, brown & red), Chickpeas, Pintos, Black beans, Cranberry beans, Flageolet, Split peas, Navy beans, Couscous, Polenta, Bulgur (fine & coarse), Basmati, Medium grain white rice, Italian & brown short grain rice, Pearl barley, Pasta stelle, Fregule, Spaghetti, Penne etc, Rice wrappers, Rice noodles, Angel hair nests, Oatmeal, Granola, Cheerios, etc. Tangerine peel, dried Shitake, dried Porcini, Star Anise, Dried fish flakes (for miso), Various sea vegetables, Chilies, etc. Almonds, Walnuts & Pecans. Herbs, spices, baking items and more of this and that such as crystallized ginger, honey, stale Kosher miniature marshmallows, dates, raisins…

Canned tomato puree, tuna packed in oil, salmon, expired crushed pineapple, Hunt's tomato sauce. Oils (olive, canola, corn, sesame, mustard), vinegars, soy sauce, etc., sugars, High Gluten, Tipo 00 & Cake flour, chocolate, Chinese rice wine, Vodka, Rum, Kahluah, Red wine (out of white & vermouth), Coffee, Seltzer (1).

The lentil salad and herbed chèvres were prepared from pantry items and leftovers, for tiered salad ringed by mesclun and first, with a questionable roasted beet from last week. I've just cut down this list even more after using up thyme along with a large can of Italian plum tomatoes to make Mario Batali's simple, all-purpose tomato sauce.

Half of the sauce went into a (wonderful) soup incorporating very old cannelloni beans (from freezer) that I baked with leek greens, bacon and various aromatics. All but one of the summer squash were cubed, caramelized in olive oil with crushed garlic cloves, and added after a mirepoix along with stock, garlic, parsley, Parmesan rind & diced, crisp pancetta, with fava beans and snap peas to be added upon serving. The pesto in the fridge is now a pistou. I plan to make rosemary focaccia or cornbread to accompany what remains. Also depleted supply of April's ragu. And to be honest, the chèvres and half a cucumber are history as of last night.

Any suggestions for things I could make exclusively—or primarily—with items on hand are welcome. The weekend's coming up, so more groceries will be added, including white wine. I still plan on continuing the pantry project, especially when it comes to fresh herbs and those jars of dried beans. I have ideas, but am open to trying alternatives that might not occur to me. Extra emoticons for anything that would contribute to Cook-Offs or other current threads

Bavila: 

For some reason, I seem to recall that you expressed hesitancy about cooking beets and especially their greens before.  We all nudged with advice, but you said you already threw out the greens.  You bought again.  The following is offered to encourage you to fish in this pond:

The internal search engine for eG does not handle short words (4 characters or less).  However, I do find that searching this forum usually provides as many ideas as I'll find elsewhere with the exception perhaps of epicurious.com.

To overcome the taste for polysyllabic words here, just go to the Advanced Search page for google and specify egullet.org as the domain you prefer.

TA

DAAA...

..AAH!!!

Report back, please. :biggrin:  Since I have some in the fridge, too, I'll pipe up once you do.

FYI When I google things in eGullet, I find the format switches from Standard to Outline (see blue line above first post).  If that happens, just click "Standard."

I'm pretty sure that wasn't me. The beet I got from my CSA are probably the first I've ever owned. However the search frustration sounds like one I've had. Thanks for the heads up.

We had the beet greens sauteed with a bit of garlic beside baked salmon (in foil with lemon juice, rosemary, capers). They were a bit strong/bitter. Maybe blanching a tad would help? I figure next time I'll mix them up with something else. The same night I roasted the beets and peeled them, but have yet to consume. Just got some cukes from the CSA, including a lemon cucumber (seeGoogle pics). These are candidates for the beet cuke salad.

Tonight will be pork, summer squash, and zucchini kabobs on the grill with a rosemary marinade.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

Any suggestions for things I could make exclusively—or primarily—with items on hand are welcome.  The weekend's coming up, so more groceries will be added, including white wine.  I still plan on continuing the pantry project, especially when it comes to fresh herbs and those jars of dried beans.  I have ideas, but am open to trying alternatives that might not occur to me.  Extra emoticons for anything that would contribute to Cook-Offs or other current threads

First thoughts: rhubarb ginger preserves wrapped in sweet crepes, salade nicoise, and combining the lentil salad with chevre and tomatoes.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

You mean, like when you thaw blackberries to have with your joghurt for breakfast, only to find out it was braised red cabbage (I am really, really bad at labelling stuff  :wacko: )

You mean, like when you throw a package of frozen raspberries in the blender at 2AM to make frozen daquiris, only to find out that red pepper daquiris don't taste so good even at 2AM :wacko:

Dawn aka shrek

Let the eating begin!

Pontormo, that's a very impressive pantry.

stale Kosher miniature marshmallows,

:wacko: I think that one just has to go. Or do you want to cook something with them :laugh:

You mean, like when you throw a package of frozen raspberries in the blender at 2AM to make frozen daquiris, only to find out that red pepper daquiris don't taste so good even at 2AM :wacko:

:laugh:

Edited by Chufi (log)

Any suggestions for things I could make exclusively—or primarily—with items on hand are welcome. 

you could approximate one of my favorite (16th century) salads, by combining the Butterleaf lettuce, Scallions, Orange, Olives, Capers, Cornichons, dates, raisins and Almonds and a light vinaigrette.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Pontormo, I also see you have a lot of pulses. May I ask how many people do you cook for on a daily basis? I ask because I also have a lot of different dried beans in my cupboard, and somehow it always seems such a waste to cook a small pan of beans just for the two of us, and when I cook a large pan, the leftovers end up in the fridge for days, so it's kind of transferring the problem.

Lentil soup is no problem ofcourse.

For some reason, I seem to recall that you expressed hesitancy about cooking beets and especially their greens before. 

I'm pretty sure that wasn't me. The beet I got from my CSA are probably the first I've ever owned. The same night I roasted the beets and peeled them, but have yet to consume. Just got some cukes from the CSA, including a lemon cucumber (seeGoogle pics).

Sometimes I have a very creative memory :rolleyes: . I am not sure why beet greens would taste bitter; never been my experience. Do try steaming or boiling them in a big pot of highly salted water (5 mins. for latter) and after draining, dressing them as per advice given them in the three linked threads. For a brand new green, it may just be that they require getting used to. However, they're usually not as bitter as certain kales that do become tamed by blanching before sauteeing (so-called black cabbage or dinosaur kale, for example)--they're generally more subtle, like a chard if sometimes leaves get thick and a little tough late in the summer.

Your lemon cukes look amazing :shock: ! I want one!

As for roasted beets, you'll see lots of good advice on the linked threads. I love them with an orange-juice vinaigrette, toasted walnuts and arugula.

First thoughts: rhubarb ginger preserves wrapped in sweet crepes, salade nicoise, and combining the lentil salad with chevre and tomatoes.

:smile::smile: for crepes idea! I had been placing bookmarks in my cookbooks this week and hadn't even thought of this very obvious idea. Plus I've got FAGE strained yogurt...yum! You read my mind regarding the can of oil-paced tuna, capers, olives, etc., though I am waiting for local tomatoes and this one farm's Jade green beans. I normally could live happily without the latter vegetable, but this variety is so, so, so good!

Thanks!

you could approximate one of my favorite (16th century) salads, by combining the Butterleaf lettuce, Scallions, Orange, Olives, Capers, Cornichons, dates, raisins and Almonds and a light vinaigrette.

Only the last three items, combined with vinaigrette and savories date the recipe (no, it's not a pun when you simply re-use a word if changing n. into a v.). Is it Bartolomeo's? I will try it! :cool::cool: (Since it would go on the historical thread you and Adam have built.)