• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wild Boar

JosephB

I've long had the desire to try to recreate the wonderful wild boar ragus that I've eaten in Italy. To do that I have to find some wild boar. Does anyone have a source that ships to consumers (or maybe a local source in NYC). Broken Arrow Ranch is one source that I found on the internet. I just sent them an e-mail inquiry. I'm waiting for a response.

You have to be careful with cooking times/temp - the meat dries out very quickly.

Thanks MobyP. I was thinking of a long, slow braise.

I checked out Polarica -- looks great. For the braise, it seems sensible to go with the shoulder or leg. Any thoughts?

Joe, if I am not mistaken, some of the outfits in the Union Square Green Market sell wild boar.

Cool, I'm heading over there this morning. Thanks. Actually, on second thought I don't think I'll find any boar at the Greenmarket because apparently they're not caught in these here parts. In fact, none of the Greenmarket vendors list it. Greenmarket Vendors

try broken arrow ranch in texas,,,they have a website and will ship to you overnight. ask for bo,,,tell him mike from caveys sent you! enjoy!

Iriee,

Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know what Bo tells me.

-Joe

Joe, if I am not mistaken, some of the outfits in the Union Square Green Market sell wild boar.

Cool, I'm heading over there this morning. Thanks. Actually, on second thought I don't think I'll find any boar at the Greenmarket because apparently they're not caught in these here parts. In fact, none of the Greenmarket vendors list it. Greenmarket Vendors

For the most part, I don't think they're caught anywhere. "Wild boar" is a somewhat deceptive term because all the wild boar I know of that is sold in the US has been raised on farms. It is, in other words, oxymoronically "farm raised wild boar" or "domestic wild boar." This designation distinguishes it from regular hogs, but probably creates more confusion than it resolves.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

For the most part, I don't think they're caught anywhere. "Wild boar" is a somewhat deceptive term because all the wild boar I know of that is sold in the US has been raised on farms. It is, in other words, oxymoronically "farm raised wild boar" or "domestic wild boar." This designation distinguishes it from regular hogs, but probably creates more confusion than it resolves.

I was under the same impression about the wildness of boar (at least in the US), until I read this about the boar from Broken Arrow Ranch.

Years ago my brother gave me a microwavable pressure cooker! Yup, a pressure cooker. With it came a collection of recipes that included mock wild boar. I can’t rightly recall the ingredients except that it included some cut of pork, sour cream, and juniper berries. It was the juniper berries that gave it that gamey flavor. So, if you get stuck, try a domesticated hog with some juniper berries. I’d be very interested in hearing from someone who could actually compare true wild boar and the mock version.

As an aside, I tried googling for the pressure cooker and evidently it’s not being made anymore. It really did a good job though.

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

Bought ten pounds of wild boar stew meat from Broken Arrow a few months ago. It was a pain to cut the frozen meat into one pound hunks, but it was worth it.

Called yesterday to order another ten pounds and was told that currently they are only selling to restaurants (in twenty pound lots) but to stay in touch to see if they will again sell in five pound portions. Bummer.

That's interesting, FG.

Hmmm, there are tons of wild boar here in Santa Cruz county. They ravage the fields of some farmers I know. One, Andrew Griffin, of Mariquita Farm, wrote an article about them. (Hmm, I think he means "discreet.")

Discrete Pig Service

(Emphasis mine, below: the sentence is just too good not to point it out.)

Wild boar have wicked knowing eyes open to every opportunity to root, scavenge, or kill. Since they were introduced into the Santa Lucia mountains south of Salinas as a game animal in the 1920s the wild boar population has exploded. No longer confined to the brushy heart of the Ventana wilderness wild boar now roam all over central California marauding cultivated fields along the fringe of the hills like barbarian hordes of old. Satanically possessed rototillers could hardly do more damage to a farm.

Joseph, I wonder if Andy could put you in touch with some of the people who get these boars. I'm telling you, they are rampant. In fact, at two of the Outstanding in the Field dinners, wild boar was on the menu because pig vigilantes had stayed up all night to bring them to the table. Good eating, those boar. GOOD eating.

Thanks iriee, Huevos, Dale, and Tana for your suggestions and insights.

I called Broken Arrow and spoke to Bo and Robin. First let me say that as a New Yorker, I am always overwhelmed with the courteousness and friendliness of the fine folks down South. Bo told me all about the boar that roam uncontrolled for hundreds of miles in Southern Texas, and what it takes to capture the little buggers. That's wild enough for me.

Bo agreed that the shoulder is the best cut of boar because boar's tenderness is unpredictable (Indeed, Broken Arrow guarantees the tenderness of all its meats, except boar). A very long slow braise is a sure bet. Bo just shipped some shoulders to the Union Square Cafe in NYC. I wouldn't be surprised if braised boar or boar ragu winds up on the menu this weekend. I'll check with the kitchen and let you know.

Bo transferred me to Robin when I revealed that I was not buying for a restaurant. Robin was happy to sell me some shoulders, but with a hefty minimum as Dale reported. I ordered 20 lbs of shoulder. Each shoulder weighs about 3 pounds, so there's no issue of dividing the meat into braising portions. The price was $6.98/lb., including 2nd Day FedEx (For 40 lbs., the price is $5.98 lb.)

I'll report back after I cook up some of the boar.

Interesting re Arrow Ranch. That strategy -- live capture followed by slaughter at a USDA-inspected facility -- would seem to get around the legal restrictions that I was under the impression prevented the retail sale of all wild game in the US. As far as I know it's never legal to sell game that has been killed in the wild.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Sounds like a good price to recreate Italian food, if you ask me.

I'm jealous.

If only you were in NY, I'd share some of the catch with you. Thanks again.

I'm about to book a trip for this spring! Maybe two! (Seriously. United Airlines has a deal where, if I fly from San Francisco to NYC twice before April 15, I get a free ticket anywhere in the world. I need to come on business at least once...if I can line up some more web design work, I'm all over that second trip.)

You're sweet. Keep us posted. I wanna know how you cook what you do.

Sounds like a good price to recreate Italian food, if you ask me.

I'm jealous.

If only you were in NY, I'd share some of the catch with you. Thanks again.

I'm about to book a trip for this spring! Maybe two! (Seriously. United Airlines has a deal where, if I fly from San Francisco to NYC twice before April 15, I get a free ticket anywhere in the world. I need to come on business at least once...if I can line up some more web design work, I'm all over that second trip.)

You're sweet. Keep us posted. I wanna know how you cook what you do.

If you are indeed here before Tax Day, then I will save some wild boar for you. Let me know how your travel plans work out.

are you going to use all that boar?

I expect to receive 7- 3lb shoulders. Properly wrapped, I can keep the meat in the freezer for 4-6 months. Even if I don't part with any of it, I could consume it all if I were to braise one roast every three weeks. But I expect some of it will be shared.

• 1 year later...

Feral hogs (wild domesticated hogs/boar) are everywhere on our place down in South Texas and are considered a pest. My husband's uncle told him last week that he has been trapping them and sending them off somewhere to where they are sold in Europe. Sorry I am fuzzy on the details, but perhaps someone else has heard of this?

We don't hunt them intentionally, but will shoot them incidentally if we come upon them during other hunting. Usually one or two a year. The meat is usually smoked with mesquite, but I would love to hear more about these Italian methods of cooking it.

We had to anchor two deer feeders as the hogs were continually turning them over and disrupting the timing devices. They run in packs called "sounders" which usually consist of a couple of sows and their young. Mature boars are usually solitary, only joining a herd to breed.

If you are ever down Texas way, please feel free to come on down and shoot your own! :laugh:

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia