• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Non-Stick Skillets and Pan

Fat Guy

Continuing from the Williams-Sonoma Catalog thread.

Thoughts?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I tend to think of non-stick pans as disposable.  Buy cheap--use it for the few things one might--like for eggs, as you mentioned or sauteeing apples or caramelizing banana slices--and then throw it out.  The one expensive, serious non-stick pan I've tried--a Kitchenaid skillet--worked exquisitely for about 6 months of moderate use--then deteriorated noticeably.  I loved the heft and balance of the pan and only wish it wasn't non-stick to begin with, for now it just hangs there, waiting to be put in storage with the rest of my supposedly--but laughably not--non-stick Calphalon pans.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

As I mentioned on the Williams-Sonoma thread, I'd like to know more about the Sitram Cybernox line.  I don't know if Sitram has a website, but there are plenty of PR pages about the product, such as http://www.inductionsystems.com/cookware/cybernox.htm.

Supposedly it has a metal alloy coating that is moderately stick-resistant, impossible to destroy, and gets very hot.  They're expensive, though, and I'm not going to drop 贄 on one just out of curiosity.  Has anyone tried it?

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

• 3 months later...

Okay, I have an update on this product.  First of all, the Sitram website is http://www.sitram.fr/.

Second, a reader kindly pointed me to a Dutch auction on eBay, where I scored a 10" Cybernox pan for $33 including shipping.  For that price, I figure I can abuse the thing and not feel too bad about it if it ends up tattered.  (hell, I treat my more expensive nonstick like royalty and it still ends up flayed.)

The build quality of the Cybernox is not comparable to All-Clad or Kitchenaid, but it's better than low-end stuff.  The handle is oddly U-shaped, kind of an exaggeration of the All-Clad handle, and it's welded, not riveted.  It does stay cool.  The pan itself is of the thick bottom, thin sides philosophy.  I'm agnostic on this issue, since I've never really done a head-to-head comparison.

The surface is basically indistinguishable from stainless, just a little shinier.  I don't pretend to understand the physics of the Cybernox coating.  Sitram's PR practically dares you to use metal utensils, so I have been.

I have a good test environment for this particular pan, I think, because I have three other 10" skillets:  cast iron, All-Clad (stainless surface), and a Costco teflon pan.  All of them see regular use.  The Costco is starting to wear out, and I've been looking for a replacement.

It's too early to say whether the Cybernox will be that replacement.  I've made scrambled eggs, which always leave a sandpaper-like film on the All-Clad.  I used only a tiny drop of oil, and the eggs didn't stick and cleanup was a snap.  You basically just have to touch the thing with a sponge and it's clean.  Of course, this is also true of a new teflon pan, and then a couple months later you're scrubbing the thing within an inch of its life.  I can't say whether that will happen to the Cybernox;  they claim it won't, but we'll see.

I'm making an effort to be downright abusive with the metal spatula;  I made some pasta sauce with roasted red peppers the other night, and I was in there grinding the spatula edge against the bottom of the pan to finish some knife cuts I'd missed.  The surface still looks shiny.

One of my biggest annoyances with teflon is its poor heat transfer.  The Cybernox seems to fall somewhere in the middle:  for a given burner setting, it doesn't get quite as hot as the All-Clad, but much hotter than the teflon.  Whether this is due to the makeup of the bottom plate or to the coating, I couldn't say.

So I don't want to get too excited about the Cybernox;  the handle is pretty bad and it could well wear out next week, but it seems to be a nice compromise between teflon and stainless, with some of the benefits of each.  If you find one cheap on eBay, snap it up.  For the retail price ($110 or so), wait and see.

Apparently there are two versions of this pan available, and the other has a different handle (nicer shape, looks like) which does not stay cool but can withstand hotter oven temperatures.  Why any metal handle would have trouble in the oven is beyond me.  Here's a site that sells both versions.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I do not have a single "Non-stick" item in my house. "Lots of moisture" cooking gets done in a few Calphalon pots, plus my Casseroles, Sautoises and fry-pans are German "WMF" and Swiss "Fizzler", hardly any sticking ever. None have signs of burned on food or other. Oops, Sorry, my big mouth got in the way, got a small flat Crepe pan from Belgium, this is non-stick.

Peter

ScanPan is my choice. Made of titanium.

High heat transfer, cleans easily with a 2 minute steam bath (boil a cup of water for two minutes, wipes clean) to release any cooked-on matter and can take a rubbing with steel wool when necessary.

The woman at the scanpan outlet told me "all new US battleships are made of titanium" so it must be good. (I didn't tell her the last US battleship built was the Missouri in 1944). She may have been thinking of submarines, which have titanium elements...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Plus, doesn't Graham Kerr a/k/a the Galloping Gourmet endorse the Scanpan? Further evidence that it must be good.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Fat Guy, was that a dig at the GG? A friend produced his shows in the early days, so I for no real reason feel a bit protective of him. Although I can't take him seriously at all and never could; the last time I saw him he was using a magic marker to draw the differences between a real dish and his new low fat, non-cancer causing improvement. Still...

If it wasn't a dig, fair enough. But then I raise my brow at thee.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I have two non-sticks currently in use. Both are primarily used for eggs. A six-inch Circulon for omelets; you'd think those ridgy circles would get in the way, but they don't. And a rectangular pan specifically designed for making Japanese tamago (rolled egg omelets for sushi). For any non-stick, the best tool is a heat proof rubber spatula. My Circulon has lasted over five years with fairly regular use.

I dont mind the non stick coating they use in the All Clad pans - I have them in a few of those and in another line that uses the same coating -  they dont chip or scratch and serve their purpose.

Unless there's a special sauce involved or a searing that a stainless pan will help create a better crust/sear, I'll admit to being lazy and will use the non stick to help with clean up.  I'm more concerned about having a pan that conducts heat evenly and doesnt scorch and require constant adjustment to the flame every minute or two.

Julliana

Non-stick pans=eggs.

I have particular non-stick pans for particular styles of eggs, like RPerlow's tamogo pan. Others are for fried eggs of different quantities.

But I see no other point to them, really.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

• 2 years later...

Does anyone have any experience with the Cuisinart Chef's Classic Non-Stick Hard Anodized cookware?

I just found it today at one of my local stores, and it's pretty nice-looking cookware. According to the package, it's a hard-anodized exterior with "Quantanium" non-stick interior (titanium reinforced). I picked up an 8" skillet for $24 Cdn (which is probably about $2 US, so how can you go wrong?). Amazon (sorry, not a proper eGullet link) has the 7-piece set listed as 62% off, and I don't see this line listed on the Cuisinart site at all. The store I bought it at just got it in and it's already marked clearance.

Is it an old line that's being discontinued? Is it any good and should I be snatching up a few more pieces?

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

• 2 years later...

I saw an episode of America's Test Kitchen that tested non stick skillets and recommended Cuisinart's Non-stick skillet. I've been using one for about 6 months and really like it. A 12" ran about $35.00.

It has Quantanium nonstick coating and it's okay to use a metal spatula. Says it is oven safe up to 500 degrees.

This topic's been asleep for a long time.  Any new developments in non-stick?  I still like my Swiss Diamond, but I'm interested in broadening my horizons.

We have several Swiss Diamond and love them. After a year, they're still non-stick and clean up easily. I wish All Clad would use the swiss diamond finish on thier pans.

The Circulon Professional pans we had all lost their non-stickness and became impossible to clean so I gave them away. DH liked the rings, though, because when he did use oil, they kept it evenly distributed in the pan.

This topic's been asleep for a long time.  Any new developments in non-stick?  I still like my Swiss Diamond, but I'm interested in broadening my horizons.

That's good to hear. I bought the full set of Cuisinart a couple years ago and I love everything about them. They're a good weight, the handles are a comfortable shape, the lids are glass so I can see what's happening inside, and they're oven-safe. They heat up quickly and evenly. And obviously I love the easy clean up, both inside and out.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

• 2 weeks later...

A second for Lincoln Wearever. I've tried everything out there, including the much heralded Swiss Diamond, Scanpan and Look series and no matter the claims, they all eventually give out, just the nature of the beast.

My question is this: Why spend over $50 (or $30 for that matter) on a piece that will give you maybe 7 years tops if you pamper the thing?

I have a soft spot in my heart for All-Clad but I refuse to pay the $100+ for one of their NS pans, it's just not worth it, especially when I can grab a cheap-o Restaurant Supply House pan (the Lincoln Wearever) or walk into a place like BB&B with a 20% off coupon and buy one of the always present Calphalon try-me pieces.

Six years down the road, it's still going to tug at you that you are tossing a $140 12" AC in the garbage. The $30 pan is just "who gives a shit?" when it finally gives up, you just go out and buy another.

Gear nerd and hash slinger

I really like my two Swiss Diamond pans. I have had them about 2 years. No idea how long they will last. We'll see. I'll report back here in 5 more years ;-)

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

Depends what you mean by best. Most durable? Best non-stick? Obviously the non-stick finishes until now have had a limited life span. Overheat them once, use the wrong tool, wash them improperly and good-by. So it makes no sense to me to spend big money on a pot or pan with a short life span.

On the other hand, several years ago in France I purchased something call a Dan'Roc. Its an aluminum pan with a really slick finish. I have taken care of it and it is standing up. So, bottom line. It depends on your expectations and knowing that non-stick has a short life span.

jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

I've started hearing things about the GreenPan, which is supposed to have a PTFE-free nonstick coating. Has anyone tried this? The reviews I've seen are mixed--some people say it's the greatest thing while others were disappointed.

Do your due diligence (looks like you've already started) before buying into Greenpan. There's a great thread over at the cooking.com forums -- company shills pumping the product across the Internet, real world reports about the short-lived non-stick qualities of the pan, etc.

My standard advice when it comes to non-stick pans: Buy cheap, buy often. :cool:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.