• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Have a problem with wild hogs?

Chad

I think the wild hogs in Georgia are descendents of domestic hogs. But domesticated "wild boars" have become a nuisance in many places where they've been introduced, including Alberta and Germany because they slip out of pens and breed like crazy. There was a story a couple of days ago about a a wild boar invading a house in Berlin. Apparently there's quite a herd of them around Berlin.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

We have a real infestation here in SE suburban Houston. They tear up the yards and esplanades rooting for grubs and such. I turned onto Bay Area Blvd the other day near a nature preserve and there was momma pig and piglets. That sucker had to weigh 1000 lbs. She was HUGE! They all looked pretty tasty to me.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

It is sad that we are so removed from where our food comes from that and so citified that most people would not consider eating a "problem animal" as a way to control them. Out here in Washington state, it's the geese who have become a problem (they don't like to migrate anymore because the pickin's are so good in our mild climate) and have to be gased or frightened away or just hated. Aren't geese considered a delicacy? I love Jim Harrison's writings because he is constantly talking about going out and catching his food from duck to deer to beyond. I realize that going out and shooting an animal in residential areas doesn't work, but it's dismaying that there doesn't seem to be some good way to capture abundant, problem animals and eat them!

Edited by sequim (log)

The goose population in and around Toronto is completely out of control. But any suggestion of harvesting these beasts and distributing them to food banks has been stymied by the animal rights people. Shows where their priorities are.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

I was once a member of PETA. I once tried to be a vegetarian because I felt bad for how the animals were treated.

I no longer am either. I was not happy being a vegetarian. I need and want to eat meat. Now I just hope to have the animal be humanely treated before death. I believe in the Native American way of respecting the animal that it gave its life and try not to waste anything. I like Jacques Pepin's philosophy (from reading his autobio). He wastes nothing, he eats just about everything.

You should see how poorly American food producers are treated!

Umm, am I the only one that saw the headline and thought about bacon?

Jinmyo, you are exempted from answering. :biggrin:

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

My experience with Wild Pigs began when I lived in Honolulu and my son would go out with my neighbors kids joining a Pig Hunt.

In Hawaii since most hunters don't have dogs trained to chase the Pigs, it appearently wasn't unusual to encourage to kids to act as a pack and chase the Pigs.

All the kids thought that this was the fun part of the hunt, but when I found out about it my son was grounded complaining that I was mean.

The most important thing that I learned about the Hunts was:

Wild Pig can be tough. They were tough in spirit before being caught, but were even tougher after being cooked. Especially the Hawaii way of Spit Roasting or even Kaluha Roasting. The only ones that tasted pretty good after being butchered and marinated were the young ones.

The other VERY IMPORTANT POINT was that the always must be cooked WELL DONE as the majority were likely infected with TRICHNOSIS.

It amazing how quickly domestic pigs adapt quickly becoming ferel. There was a negligable population in the Northern California community of Cloverdale before the State dedicated a large area around a newly formed Resevior Dammed in the area. Even before the Lake was filled there began a problem with the Wild Pigs everywhere that there was any farming or whatever. Don't know if it's still a problem or it's under control but it seemed to happen overnight. At least in Hawaii there not that many places they can expand into, like California.

Irwin :wub:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I think they were going to try to get some bow hunters after them. My nephew got a small one a few weeks ago. I didn't get any of it that he BBQed but I did have some posole made from the leftovers. Good stuff.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The goose population in and around Toronto is completely out of control. But any suggestion of harvesting these beasts and distributing them to food banks has been stymied by the animal rights people. Shows where their priorities are.

Geese are a problem all over North America, at least snows, blues, and rosses are anyway. They can destroy fields lying fallow in the winter overnight. They will land, pull up anything that looks like food and leave the field a muddy water holding pit. On the morning after New Year's day I was in Morehouse Parish, Louisiana and saw roughly 1/2 million (estimated that morning by the federal game warden we saw at breakfast who had seen the same flock) geese get up off of some rice fields right next to the highway. As a nature lover it was a pretty awe inspiring sight. The farmer that owned the field that had been occupied by the geese would not have felt that way.

Our season on hunting them in Louisiana (it varies nationwide, but is more or less the same as far as the idea here goes) has been extended for the third year in a row until Feb 6. There are no limits. Hunters can use mechanical calls and any other method of attraction they wish. Shotguns can be carried unplugged (that's more shells per gun for all you non hunters) and you may shoot 1/2 hour before daylight and 1/2 hour after dark.

The funny thing is the reason that they have all of the restrictions lifted is that no one hunts them. Eating a goose at this end of the flyway after it has flown a couple fo thousand miles is much like eating a shoe with fat attached. Hunters here (and other places I am sure) have very little interest in shooting birds that they can't or don't eat. Skeet are much easier to shoot and a hell of bunch cheaper as well, if someone is looking for is a chance to hit airborne targets.

THis does not count for Canadian Geese. The limit on Canadians is one. THey are not overpopulated, quite the opposite.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

THis does not count for Canadian Geese. The limit on Canadians is one. THey are not overpopulated, quite the opposite.

That's because up here in New Jersey and other Mid-Atlantic states , both State and Federal Game Officials have yet to have found a way to make Canada Geese return to being migratory. They're all over the d**m place all year round! Snow Geese are a problem too.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

We have a real infestation here in SE suburban Houston. They tear up the yards and esplanades rooting for grubs and such. I turned onto Bay Area Blvd the other day near a nature preserve and there was momma pig and piglets. That sucker had to weigh 1000 lbs. She was HUGE! They all looked pretty tasty to me.

when we had our tour of the king ranch last march/april. the guides mentioned that they contracted with someone who would harvest the boars and have pig roasts with them. sounds good to me

in aransas pass we had a young one walk right up to our car. probably looking for food since the tourons probably feed it. :angry:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

OOhwee, feral hogs. I believe that the Arkansas razorbacks are outcrosses of escaped domestics and wild. Then some brilliant guy 100 years ago imported the real wild and scary Russian ferals to Texas. They are a blight. But they will cookup good with a smoker. My middle daughter got 49 stitches from a feral hog when we were in a deercamp. The hog got the death penalty.

That's funny, I was just inquiring on eG about buying wild boar. Wild Boar Are these Georgia pigs related?

This is an interesting web site about wild boars. The population here in Louisiana is out of control as it is in many parts of the South. I see them often in the woods when we are deer hunting and sightings are becoming more and more frequent in suburban areas as the animals search for new sources of food.

It's the Canada geese that are the problem here.

WIth all due repect to our Northern neighbors - Amen. These suckers are EVERYWHERE, even in the middle of the city in any open space they can find. Humongous gaggles of hundreds of birds apiece. They're nasty creatures and they leave bird crap everywhere. And I'm bloody sick of them using my car for target practice :angry:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

MM, thank you for that site. Russians in particular seem to have a lot of Brucellosis.

If you ever notice, I can get carried away about B. There's a good reason. My auntie Evelyn caught B. from contaminated cattle she and my uncle were butchering. The disease Undulant Fever is a tidy little side effect. Once contracted, she couldn't get around warm-blooded animals any longer, which was disasterous for her and my unc. because they milked out at least 150 cows.

Edited by Mabelline (log)

At a deer lease that my nephew frequents, the owner begs the hunters to shoot any pigs that they see.

Geese are pretty much unlimited again, I think. They aren't really worth much, but we did get about 5 pounds of livers last year. We made the damndest pate. We poached them in sherry, whizzed them in the food processor with some cognac and cream and added a bit of green peppercorn. Incredible stuff. Made even better when we saw a similar preparation at Spec's for about $100 a pound!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Furthermore, I've heard that Canada geese are lousy eating. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Confirmed

I believe that I referred to them in my post above as "shoe leather with fat attached". I stand firmly by this assessment. :laugh:

That's funny, I was just inquiring on eG about buying wild boar.  Wild Boar  Are these Georgia pigs related?

This is an interesting web site about wild boars. The population here in Louisiana is out of control as it is in many parts of the South. I see them often in the woods when we are deer hunting and sightings are becoming more and more frequent in suburban areas as the animals search for new sources of food.

We better start eating these things in a hurry.

As with many things, the key to solving the population problem is to get diners in the Northeast to start chowing down on them. The population will quickly drop as we ship them up to our Northern neighbors who are convinced that they are really missing something. :wink:

A fine example of this would be Paul Prudhomme's use of redfish in the early eighties. Demand for what had previously been a fish of second rate value on the market (we ate them, but they were not really popular in other parts of the country) went through the roof and in a very short period of time the population of Gulf Coast Redfish dropped precipitously close to zero. Blackened redfish, that one single dish of questionable origin and quality, just about caused the end of the species. :shock: Blackened boar steaks anyone? :wink:

Now if we could just do that with wild hogs and geese..........