• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arthur Bryant's BBQ

Andrew Fenton

A KCMO friend of mine (who knows just what I like) sent me a bottle each of Gates' and Arthur Bryant's barbecue sauce. The latter is emblazoned with the phrase, "The President's Choice." Which raises the question: which president? Their website isn't much help: there's a photo of Jimmy Carter, who is evidently a fan. And Harry Truman ate there, no surprise: I suppose the reference might be to him (like those British food companies with the seal declaring them to be "Royal Barbecue and Haggis Purveyor to HRH..." But it's a little obscure; and I'd imagine that LBJ and Bill Clinton are examples of presidents with strong feelings about the barbecuinal arts as well.

Any insights?

I don't know about KC, but our current president is a big fan of Mr. Coopers bbq in Llano, Tx. That is who he gets to cater his barbeques in Crawford.

"Home of the giant pork chop"

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

I think that just about every President elected since Bryant's opened has at least tasted the food, either at the restaurant or at an event.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

I think that just about every President elected since Bryant's opened has at least tasted the food, either at the restaurant or at an event.

This is getting interesting. What makes Arthur Bryant's such a destination for presidents? I know it's become something of a national icon since Calvin Trillin annointed it some time back, but is there some specific political symbolism attached to visiting Bryant's that wouldn't attach to other famous neighborhood establishments around the country?

I assume the barbecue is still great, but that can't be the reason!

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

No doubt; but the phrase is definitely singular: "President's", not "Presidents'".

Have you ever been there? From the looks of the place, I wouldn't rely on the expectation of proper punctuation.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

This is getting interesting. What makes Arthur Bryant's such a destination for presidents? I know it's become something of a national icon since Calvin Trillin annointed it some time back, but is there some specific political symbolism attached to visiting Bryant's that wouldn't attach to other famous neighborhood establishments around the country?

I assume the barbecue is still great, but that can't be the reason!

Well, the bbq is that good, but you're right that it can't be the sole reason.

If it is a particularly political spot, I'd love to hear about it, but my hunch is that it's just one of those spots that attracts visiting politicians: good food, and tradition associated with it.

No doubt; but the phrase is definitely singular: "President's", not "Presidents'".

Have you ever been there? From the looks of the place, I wouldn't rely on the expectation of proper punctuation.

Good point. Nonetheless, there's a fair amount of writing on the label (including a blurb about the restaurant's history, that namechecks two presidents), and no grammatical errors that I noticed.

• 4 years later...

Dropped in a couple of weeks ago for their burnt ends. Not the best. Not the worst, either. It was rather mushy. I prefer the meatier burnt ends at LC's in Kansas City.

I've decided I am not (sorry Calvin Trillin) a fan of AB's "Original" BBQ sauce. Too much paprika. Next time, I'm going to ask for their "Sweet Heat."

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Dropped in a couple of weeks ago for their burnt ends.  Not the best.  Not the worst, either.  It was rather mushy.  I prefer the meatier burnt ends at LC's in Kansas City.

I've decided I am not (sorry Calvin Trillin) a fan of AB's "Original" BBQ sauce.  Too much paprika.  Next time, I'm going to ask for their "Sweet Heat."

I think the problem(s) with their burnt ends are that they aren't really burnt ends, they are more of a "casserole" of sorts........ from what I recall they chop the points, drown them in their sweet sauce, and then put them back in the pit. This is what makes them way too mushy. Even when Bryant's is having an "on" day, those burnt ends are the worst. I'm not sure how or why they came up with that method.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011