• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Substituting:

Callipygos

Started this because I have a question about a specific substitution.

I'm going to be making a venison stew recipe that calls for juniper berries. I have every faith I will be able to find juniper berries (Dean & Deluca does carry them, and I'll be going to pick them up tomorrow), but just in case they're sold out or something -- what can I use instead of the berries?

I only need three, so whatever it is I won't need much.

My favourite site for this kind of thing is this one.

It's not very pretty, but they have not let me down yet. On juniper berries, they say:

Pronunciation:   JEW-nih-per BEHR-eez   Notes:   This dark blue spice is used to make gin, and to flavor game and sauerkraut. Crush the berries before using.  Substitutes:  gin (This substitution works well in sauces that accompany game.  Substitute one teaspoon gin for every two berries called for in the recipe.) OR equal parts crushed bay leaves and caraway seed

My favourite site for this kind of thing is this one.

It's not very pretty, but they have not let me down yet. On juniper berries, they say:

Pronunciation:   JEW-nih-per BEHR-eez   Notes:   This dark blue spice is used to make gin, and to flavor game and sauerkraut. Crush the berries before using.  Substitutes:  gin (This substitution works well in sauces that accompany game.  Substitute one teaspoon gin for every two berries called for in the recipe.) OR equal parts crushed bay leaves and caraway seed

Interesting suggestion (the bay leaf/caraway combination). I would also (off the top of my head) say that rosemary could probably stand in -- it's not the same, of course, but it's strong and piny, so I think it would have the same general effect.

But gin would be my first choice -- one of the "juniper-y" types, not Bombay Sapphire or Tanquerey Ten.