• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kim Chi Stir Fried w/ Pork

Does anyone have a recipe for Stir Fired Kim Chi w/ Pork? I've had it at a Korean restaurant and it was delicious.

I'm going to try making it by taking some Kim Chi and frying it w/ some pork and some other spices.

I was also wondering if anyone knew of the name for this dish.

Thanks,

-z

Kimchi bokum means "stir fried kimchi" or more to the point what you are looking for is a deji kimchi bokum (sp) which means pork fried kimchi. Sorry for the improper spelling, but its impossible for me to spell korean words using western characters.

As for the dish, when i make it it usualy involves marinated pork cut into strips along with kimchi, seasame seed oil and soy sauce. pretty easy, dunno how you had it.

I make this quite often.

It is really best with pork belly, thinly sliced and depending on the mood I am in I make it differently. Sometime I cook the pork over a very high heat (with some canola oil) until it is almost crispy and bacon like, then I add the kimchi a splach of soy and a splash of mirin and some scallions, stir for a couple seconds and ermove from the heat and drizzle a little sesame oil. Other times, I cook the pork belly over a lower heat so that it just cooks through, not really even changing color, so that it remains soft, then I add the kimchi, soy, mirin and scallions cook for a little longer and then drizzle with sesame oil.

Tofu is a great addition and I sometimes make it more of a meal in one by tossing in some soy bean sprouts and maybe carrots as well.

Pork and kimchi is such an incredible combination.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Thanks for all the replies. I tried it first in a pinch w/ Cabbage, garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce, hot pepper paste and peeper flakes, and chicken. It was good, but just not the same as the one at the restaurant.

I had KimChi in the Fridge at the time, but it was 2 or 3 months old. So I didn't want to take a chance w/ it. I just bought some yesterday so I'm going to give that recipe a try.

Thanks again,

-z

Thanks for all the replies. I tried it first in a pinch w/ Cabbage, garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce, hot pepper paste and peeper flakes, and chicken. It was good, but just not the same as the one at the restaurant.

I had KimChi in the Fridge at the time, but it was 2 or 3 months old. So I didn't want to take a chance w/ it. I just bought some yesterday so I'm going to give that recipe a try.

Thanks again,

-z

The old kimche can be used to make kimchi jjigae. Its kimchi stew, and its made as the person in the thread stated.

My friend Grace makes an amazing rendition of this dish. She's Korean-American, a fellow Cordon Bleu, and now we're roommates - not far from one of the best Korean markets in Paris - Hana by La Motte-Picquet - the other good one's Ace by Opera. She starts off by marinating thinly sliced pork belly - nicely striated meat and fat - in red pepper paste. Then she squeezes the kimchi dry - she prefers a well-fermented lettuce kimchi - but reserves the liquid for another use. At home, her family's cook will make it fresh - they have their own kimchi fridge - but here she buys it - if it's not funky enough for her taste, she'll let it sit out for a day or two. She then renders some fat from the pork - sets the meat aside for another use - adds crushed garlic to the pan, then the kimchi. She lets it cook through well and then start to caramelise before she turns the heat up, sears the pork, deglazes the pan with some sake, reduces, adjusts the seasoning with soy sauce, sesame oil, and chili paste - then turns it out to plate. She likes to sear the firm tofu in another pan - or just steams it. We have it with Korean rice - small-grained, pearlescent.