• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

If It Were Your Last Meal on Earth

Here, Here! But only a bushel, hmm last meal? Make it 2 and some shrimp too!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

puchka and mutton rolls from a nice, dirty calcutta street (what me worry?)

a big juicy char-broiled burger--medium-rare, sauteed mushrooms, sauteed onions; thick fries on the side with LOTS of ketchup and tabasco

a plate of assorted kababs from bukhara and dum pukht in delhi

my aunt gopa's dal-puris and alur-dom

the ma-po tofu and prickly-ash spare-ribs from chung-king in monterey park outside l.a

sushi--must include monkfish-liver, uni, mackerel, yellow-tail, salmon, spicy-scallop, salmon-roe

all the langda, daseri and alphonso mangoes i can eat

gulab jamuns from nathu's in delhi, assorted bengali sweets from one of the better calcutta sweet-shops

a wafffer-thin mint

and a bucket for me to puke in after every course

(and to drink: a nice selection of micro and macro brews--mayhaw man to pick)

Self indulgence, like masturbation, (as Woody Allen says) is like sex with someone you love

especially the cuddling afterwards....

Also, apalled that the prisoner was able to manipulate the legal system to get two cheeseburgers and had the temerity to try for a third.

At my office (across from the White House) management distributed little dust masks to be worn "in the event of an emergency" and a map of which conference room in which to huddle. My friend Al gave me a pack of Marlboro's and a bottle of Stoli to use with the mask but after reading this thread I think I better throw in a can of fois gras.

At the risk of soundin self-indulgent, what other non-perishables do you think I should consider?

• Like 1

"Food is an essential part of a balanced diet."

Fran Lebowitz

Much as I love posh food. I wouldn't feel comfortable about meeting my makers with my tripes galvanized by the culinary vanguard.

For me it would have to be the British soul food:

Roast rib of Angus, deep pink and well, well hung (like Shiva).

My Gran's dear departed Yorkshires.

Roast potatoes & parsnips, crispy mind.

Brussels sprouts (I'm going to hell, so who cares about wind).

Elsenham's horseradish.

And a lot of gravy made from the rest of the steer.

To finish perhaps an apple crumble, with a good egg custard (also know as creme Anglaise [Plitonki are reading this?])

If my goalers permitted it I'd wash the whole lot down with two or three botts of Absinthe.

:sad::sad::sad::sad::angry::shock::huh:

damn...this would have to be my last meal, because it would kill me to eat this bucket of slop.

I'm sorry, but the British know NOTHING about good food. Yorkshire pudding?? Jesus Christ I've better tasting cardboard.

"We do not stop playing because we grow old,

we grow old because we stop playing"

Interesting article.
Amos Lee King, executed in Florida in February, was not allowed to choose a last meal. He had already gotten two, officials said, for previously scheduled executions that were halted at the last minute.

How petty.

yeah. poor guy.

:hmmm::hmmm:

me things that Amos Lee would have been asking for a major cholesterol problem if he had gotten a third cheeseburger.

"We do not stop playing because we grow old,

we grow old because we stop playing"

I doubt I would feel much like eating :sad:...but ice cream nearly always sounds good!

So, dacquiri ice and black licorice ice creams, endless pints of Black n- Tans and a pack of Camels.

Edited by petite tête de chou (log)

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

• 6 months later...
Da Bomb - from Cherry Valley in Whitestone NY.  :biggrin:

What goes into 'Da Bomb'? A local (very good) Greek-Style deli does a sub called 'Da Bomb' that includes: buffalo chicken strips, fried mozerrela sticks, marinara sauce, french fries, blue cheese dressing, fried onions, and a huge mound of melted provolone.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Hot and Sour Soup

Linguine ala vongole

A giant bone-in rib eye, topped with foie gras and a lobster tail

Rappini with garlic and parmesan

Creme brule

With unlimited supplies of Penfolds Bin 28 Kalimna Shiraz and a nice Ashton 898 for afterwards.

Beautiful :raz:

Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Ham?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Pork chops?

Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.

Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal. (The Simpsons)

-pecan pie

-cheesecake with a sourcream topping and a very thick graham crust

-napoleons from Payard (not that I'd ever eaten them before, but they look good!)

-big fat cream puffs

-chocolate cream pie

-apple pie (must be made with lard in the crust!)

sweet things for a bitter ending :sad:

-pecan pie

-cheesecake with a sourcream topping and a very thick graham crust

-napoleons from Payard (not that I'd ever eaten them before, but they look good!)

-big fat cream puffs

-chocolate cream pie

-apple pie (must be made with lard in the crust!)

sweet things for a bitter ending  :sad:

Ling... what, no warm gingerbread pudding?! :wink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

My last meal would be as follows:

(This meal would be proceeded by several deep bong hits!)

Cocktail # 1-3: Grey Goose Dirty Martini w/Habanero Stuffed Olive

Appetizers:

Jumbo Prawn & King Crab Meat Cocktail

Personal sized (6”), wood-fired Pepperoni, Sausage, and Mushroom Pizza

Rainbow Roll

Whole leaf Caesar Salad

Cup of Clam Chowder from The Brooklyn Diner (Seattle)

Cocktail #4: Malibu & Coke

Entrée:

2” thick Prime, Dry-Aged Porterhouse Steak

Maine Lobster Tail & Claws w/ drawn hickory butter

Large Button Mushroom Sautéed w/ garlic, butter, and white wine

Steamed Spinach

Texas Toast

Cottage Fries w/ Jim Beam Ketchup

Cocktail #5: White Russian w/ coffee chaser

Desert:

Mexican Chocolate Cake with a White Cinnamon/Cayenne Frosting & Vanilla Ice Cream

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Said it before and I'll say it again...Mom's pan fried venison and mashed potatoes with pan drippin' gravy. Makes me feel all cozy inside just thinkin' 'bout it. :wub:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

• 2 weeks later...
Much as I love posh food. I wouldn't feel comfortable about meeting my makers with my tripes galvanized by the culinary vanguard.

For me it would have to be the British soul food:

Roast rib of Angus, deep pink and well, well hung (like Shiva).

My Gran's dear departed Yorkshires.

Roast potatoes & parsnips, crispy mind.

Brussels sprouts (I'm going to hell, so who cares about wind).

Elsenham's horseradish.

And a lot of gravy made from the rest of the steer.

To finish perhaps an apple crumble, with a good egg custard (also know as creme Anglaise [Plitonki are reading this?])

If my goalers permitted it I'd wash the whole lot down with two or three botts of Absinthe.

:sad::sad::sad::sad::angry::shock::huh:

damn...this would have to be my last meal, because it would kill me to eat this bucket of slop.

I'm sorry, but the British know NOTHING about good food. Yorkshire pudding?? Jesus Christ I've better tasting cardboard.

Say it ain't so! You don't like Yorkshire pudding?! Oh wow...all that golden crispness with the eggy interior, drenched in beef drippings. The combo of flaky and soft in the mouth. Oh yeah. :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Field greens lightly dressed with o&v, pear slices and brie

Thai curry with a larb chaser

Blackened redfish topped with shrimp, crabmeat and a great gloppy sauce

....All washed down with a bottle of Clos Pegase (sentimental), and concluded by the requisite thin mint (Monty Pythonemental).

I don't know what kind of nervous systems y'all have, but my criterion is quite a bit different from yours.

As my pregnant wife, who recently wrapped up four grueling months of "morning sickness," would say when I asked her what she wanted for dinner, I would want "something that doesn't taste so bad first on the way down and then on the way up."

edited because I sometimes forget my latinate singulars and plurals -- CA

Edited by chrisamirault (log)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts