• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

If It Were Your Last Meal on Earth

statistically speaking, the odds are very low that someone will be wrongly executed (not that it hasn't happened).

Here in Illinois (since the death penalty was reinstated) we had sixteen people executed, sixteen people set free from death row because of wrong convictions.

I don't know what they ate.

hey, hey. don't be introducing facts into this discussion. how dare you. :angry::laugh:

(although, 16 were set free, proving that the system works. if it happened that 16 were wrongfully killed, then this stat might help your position elyse. :wink: )

Edited by tommy (log)

Here in Illinois (since the death penalty was reinstated) we had sixteen people executed, sixteen people set free from death row because of wrong convictions.

I don't know what they ate.

So, these 16 people were released after they were executed? :blink:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I can't believe how much fat/calories were in some of those meals. What are these people thinking ? Personally speaking, a salad of fresh mint, fennel, and rosemary so as to leave a pleasant aroma in the execution area.

Maybe a few granny smith apples and cinnamon sticks in my pockets as well.

If members have time and feel comfortable discussing it, perhaps they could suggest ways in which death row cuisine might be sampled by an interested diner. I am assuming that committing a capital offence in order to be sentenced to death would involve some morally dubbious action :wink: , and one would be concerned about the possible impact on one's personal life, not to say career. :laugh: Are there other ways in which members have been able to take in these meals? For example, would there be any objection to posing as a padre, assuming that the appropriate costume could be sourced? It might then be possible at least to taste any dishes not wanted by the main recipient of the meal (one would prefer not to take in "leftovers" for hygiene reasons). :hmmm:

Edited by Wilfrid (log)

For example, would there be any objection to posing as a padre, assuming that the appropriate costume could be sourced?

Access to death row and execution sites is usually very tightly regulated. It would be highly unlikely a faux-padre (madre?) could slip through.

That said, I wonder if ortolan would be acceptable for a last meal? I'd be surprised if the prison allowed take-out from a distance (fiddleheads or ramps out of season, for example)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

If members have time and feel comfortable discussing it, perhaps they could suggest ways in which death row cuisine might be sampled by an interested diner.  I am assuming that committing a capital offence in order to be sentenced to death would involve some morally dubbious action  :wink: , and one would be concerned about the possible impact on one's personal life, not to say career. :laugh: Are there other ways in which members have been able to take in these meals?  For example, would there be any objection to posing as a padre, assuming that the appropriate costume could be sourced?  It might then be possible at least to taste any dishes not wanted by the main recipient of the meal (one would prefer not to take in "leftovers" for hygiene reasons).  :hmmm:

I see you've been channelling Cabrales.

I wonder how many of these killers offered their victims a last meal of their choice?

Why should they get a choice? and 3 times?

i'm with him. err, her.

you will get it right some day tommy. :blink::biggrin:

Last meals.................one of my biggest pet peeves! :huh:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"