• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

If It Were Your Last Meal on Earth

Nation Geographic Traveler is doing a story on what the last meal would be for several food writers.

I guess the world has been made to think of last "things" in these times.

Is this thread meant to explore what each of us would eat at our last meal?

To name the restaurant (if that is where we would like to eat this meal, instead of a home) where this meal would be?

To name a last dish?

wow....thats quite a website.  Im surprised they can publish photos and names of inmates like that.

Im just disappointed the full size report only stays open for a second before downsizing.

I like reading crime stats like that.

If you are using MS Internet Explorer it has a default that shrinks all images to fit within the window. If you place your cursor over the image an icon will appear in the lower right corner of the image (A square with four arrows pointing from the corners). If you click on that icon the image will expand to full size so you can scroll up and down and read it.

Edited by =Mark (log)

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Freedom fries.

And a file.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Jinmyo, Craig, LOL.

Although, I would add to yours Craig - And sign a declaration claiming it is the best cuisine in the world.

Suvir, I started this thread with the idea of discussing what you would look for in your final meal - that ulitmate, in more senses than one, expression of yourself through food. Nostalgia? Luxury?

And just to get people's reactions on the website. Which I cannot get over. I keep wondering - what's the message? Why show the final meals before the crimes? Is there a point to that?

A four hour tasting dinner in Italy of regional, traditional pasta dishes and Steve Plotnicki has to join in - and like it.

Are there dishes you would wish to taste?

Dishes that would be perfect for this last meal?

Just giving Steve a hard time because of our pasta wars.

This concept is scary - how can you really choose. I have had meals that were great because of the food and meals that were wonderful because of people, time and place.

One meal sticks out in my mind. It was on an island on Lago Maggiore. The restaurant was nothing special. Even though it catered to tourists the food was not bad. But I had a moment there once on a perfect day with the perfect person. As we chatted I looked at the view, my company, felt the sun and wind and sipped on a glass of Bellavista and I realized I was having a moment of total peace and satisfaction.

This is the moment and meal I would choose - if it was possible to go back in time. Some things you can't recreate. These moments of pure satisfaction are harder to find than great meals.

Edited by Craig Camp (log)

Lovely, Craig.

It reminds me of a moment like that - We were in Rajasthan. Bumpy road. Terrible truck. Sore rattled bones. Driving across the state. Five of us. Really close friends. We asked the driver to take us to a good place for lunch and he took us to the Indian equivalent of a truck stop. Rope beds to sit on. Fresh, hearty, spectacular food. Mustard greens from fields we could see behind us. Sun. Laughter. Piping hot rotis. Camraderie like I have never felt before. With the entire world.

torakris, a slightly more detailed description of yuke, please?

i could always google it but that is never the same as getting a food description from an eGullet member

Yuke is the only food I regularly dream about! :wub:

Here is how it is served at one of my favorite restaurants:

raw beef is cut into thin slivers then mixed with a little soy and sesame oil and some sesame seeds, it is then plated and garnished with a shiso leaf, finely slivered garlic and ginger, a couple thin slices of nashi (Asian pear) and topped with an egg yolk.

You mix everything thing together and savor slowly! :smile:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Sounds good.

What to drink with it (and lets say the guards allow alcohol)?

Hardly an ideal last meal for a Hindu though.

Sorry. :laugh:

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Sorry to post before going to the site, but my computer's so slow and I haven't had time to go to the library to peruse. BUT, If I were faced with a last meal in prison, I'd have to think long and hard about what they couldn't screw up. Macaroni and cheese? That's about the only thing I can imagine that can't go too wrong. Although I would request being able to cook my own last meal with ingredients I choose.

Sure, elyse. They'll give you a knife.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Sounds good.

What to drink with it (and lets say the guards allow alcohol)?

What to drink with yuke?

Me? probably water, since I don't drink (except for my sangria, which gives me a nice buzz without making me vomit! :biggrin: )

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

cheeseburger (m/r, american cheese, with raw onion and ketchup)

red wine.  burgundy probably. 

carrot cake.  with coffee.

marlboro light.

I think as it is your last meal the regular Marlboro would be OK - why not live it up with Camel unfiltered.

No execution. Steak.