• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

If It Were Your Last Meal on Earth

• 2 weeks later...

a quesadilla with offal chorizo

a steak, egg, and cheese sub

kamonegi kushiyaki (duck and scallion skewers, grilled)

fried shrimp

original recipe ben&jerry's dastardly mash ice cream

diet coke with a splash of root beer

roasted, salted almonds

a fresh samuel smith's old brewery pale ale

...i'm sure this is a partial list...i'll think of a few more before i die...

• 3 years later...

Grandma's Shanghainese steamed pork dumplings ("xia long bao") - as much as I can eat.

Mom's braised pork belly with mustard greens and taro.

A bowl of marrow from the beef shanks in mom's osso buco.

Peking duck for dessert.

Boiled peel and eat, head-on gulf shrimp

Boiled crawfish (spicy and heavy on the lemon)

Steamed king crab legs

Tuna sashimi

Baby octopus salad

And, either a bowl of steamed Japanese rice, or a perfectly baked potato with s and p and hot sauce

And all the corona I can drink

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

A Gin Gin Mule

Som dtom, with 6 chilis, dried shrimp and crab made to order on a rolling cart on somewhere on the south-west coast of Thailand by a woman old enough to be my great grandmother. a bunch of sticky rice to ball up and used to soak up the firey goodness. drumstick of fried chicken from the cart next to it. The oil it fried cannot have been changed in a month.

About an hour break with a few Miller High Lifes.

The bone marrow, with oxtail marmalade from Blue Ribbon. With a rose wine.

Quesadillas made with El Milagro corn tortillias, Chihuahua cheese, and Herdez salsa. A Bohimia.

"Boudin" of Lake Erie Walleye Pike, Wilted Arrowleaf Spinach and Preserved Lemon. White wine.

Pataka Shak (curried potato) in north west India, with some Bangers. A Kingfisher and a pint of Black.

Shrimp and Grits made by Monique King. Another beer.

Any of the desserts from Alinea.

An espresso and a rum on the rock.

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

at least two but maybe three dungeness crabs ... with plenty of any good fresh lager, Tim's alder smoked chips

and a huge piece..never mind the entire

chocolate cake with chocolate frosting

on a blanket nested in the driftwood of Kalaloch beach

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I've thought about this so many times and I still can't think of what my last meal would be. I think it's because I don't really have a favourite food, and the food I ate growing up was rather eclectic.

I think I'd choose root beer as my beverage, though, and Old Dutch Bar-B-Q potato chips as my snack.

Actually, that could probably be my whole meal, plus some roasted peanuts in the shell.

Whew! And I thought I might not get to eat anything for my last meal!

You know that expression, "Life is uncertain, eat dessert first"?

The one and only time I went to a party where the desserts were set out at the same time as the meal (buffet style catering, you know what I mean), I ate my dessert first 'cause the hot food looked icky.

And we ended up having to leave before the meal! Yay! It was perfect!

So my advice is, don't wait till you're about to pop your clogs. Eat it all. Eat it all NOW. :laugh:

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

A Gin Gin Mule

Som dtom, with 6 chilis, dried shrimp and crab made to order on a rolling cart on somewhere on the south-west coast of Thailand by a woman old enough to be my great grandmother.  a bunch of sticky rice to ball up and used to soak up the firey goodness.  drumstick of fried chicken from the cart next to it.  The oil it fried cannot have been changed in a month.

About an hour break with a few Miller High Lifes.

The bone marrow, with oxtail marmalade from Blue Ribbon. With a rose wine.

Quesadillas made with El Milagro corn tortillias, Chihuahua cheese, and Herdez salsa.  A Bohimia.

"Boudin" of Lake Erie Walleye Pike, Wilted Arrowleaf Spinach and Preserved Lemon.  White wine.

Pataka Shak (curried potato) in north west India, with some Bangers. A Kingfisher and a pint of Black.

Shrimp and Grits made by Monique King. Another beer.

Any of the desserts from Alinea.

An espresso and a rum on the rock.

Toby

Dear Mr T, R U Single? if not, may I suggest we meet? ; ) sincerely, I just loooooove how precise you're being because this is just how I am myself, albeit not necessarily at the same schacks, but food and preciseness-wise sure am : ) love champagne..........

• 6 years later...

Plain and simple for me....

Fish Fry AKA Fish and Chips w/accompaniments.

Plain NY Cheesecake

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!